Forums Latest Members
  1. JwRosenthal Jun 24, 2019

Greetings all,

As many of you know, one of our brothers was badly injured and without health insurance. Thread on the topic here:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/of-member-health-crisis-please-read.97343/

I was thinking what would be fun and helpful would be if we did a sort of bake sale/ swap meet in the FS section. I have a bunch of straps and junk I got with watches that I have purchased on eBay that I don’t want (some cheap, some not), and a couple inexpensive watches that I wouldn’t bother posting a FS thread for (under $200).
    I’m not sure if it would work as Individual FS postings or one posting in which we all can list our junk and first PM saying “I’ll take it at listed price” gets it.
    The posting would be “Bake sale for Bill” or if individual listings- they would be followed with a one or two word descriptor- thus “Bake sale for Bill- strap lot”

There would need to be some gentlemans rules:
    -all payment PP F&F and no haggling
    -once payment is recieved it goes to either Bill’s PP or the GFM account
    -no profiteering: can’t sell something you bought for $100, sell it for $150 and just donate the $50- it needs to be stuff you would give away to a friend.
    - shipping would be inclusive in the price unless int’l, then it would be on the buyer to add the additional shipping cost.
    - be realistic and charitable in pricing
    -sellers are only members with 200 posts or more to keep things on the up & up (no opportunists). If you are under 200 and want to participate you can petition a moderator.

Any other feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Like everything on this forum, it would all be on the honor system- karma is a bitch so no hanky-panky.
    Moderators, please weigh in on if this if a good idea or just a disaster waiting to happen.

Edited Jun 24, 2019
  2. albertob Jun 24, 2019

Very nice idea @JwRosenthal.

I’ll check if I got something to put on the sale!

watchdaddy1, Als 27 and Foo2rama like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Jun 24, 2019

I want to wait for a moderator to weigh in before I go live with anything so if your interesting in partaking in this, start going through your junk drawers and cast off watches that you don’t care about. This could be a great way for all of us to get some stocking stuffers too for the holidays that are right around the corner :thumbsup:

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  4. Jonatan Jun 24, 2019

I was just thinking about this as I have a lot of parts and watches I wanted to sell and wanted to donate the total from the sale to Bill. Great initiative, I'm in all the way.

I was thinking it might even be easier for the buyer to donate directly on the https://www.gofundme.com/bill-mctheny instead of the seller doing it. Just a suggestion.

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal Jun 24, 2019

I thought about that but it’s harder to monitor who actually paid and who didn’t that way. The 200 post rule doesn’t apply to buyers, so it would be more risk of getting scammed. I think a direct sale and seller donates would make it easier to take personal responsibility for the transaction

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  6. Jonatan Jun 24, 2019

I'm in either way.

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  7. Jonatan Jun 24, 2019

watchdaddy1 and connieseamaster like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Jun 24, 2019

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  9. duc Jun 24, 2019

I'm in.

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  10. jimmyd13 Jun 24, 2019

Commenting to add some things later in the week

watchdaddy1 and JwRosenthal like this.
  11. flw history nerd Jun 24, 2019

I'm happy to take a look and see what I may have to sell for Bill's benefit. Great idea

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  12. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 24, 2019

Let me ask this as I HIGHLY mistrust "altruistic" websites; I always get spammed or the like:

Is there a way to just PayPal him some funds?

I had some direct conversations with him through this site but we never exchanged email addresses.

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  13. JwRosenthal Jun 24, 2019

I don’t care for 3rd party sites either but the GFM was set up by his family and easy so that’s what I linked
    I sent him grocery money directly to his PayPal since he’s gonna be out of work for a while.
    His paypal email is [email protected]

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  14. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 24, 2019

Thanks! Much better!

watchdaddy1 and Observer like this.
  15. JwRosenthal Jun 24, 2019

And the moderators are deliberating on the Bake sale concept, hopefully we will have verdict soon.

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  16. warrydog Jun 24, 2019

Thanks JW for doing the paypal email.... Great way to aviod GFM. And easy too.

watchdaddy1 and Observer like this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 25, 2019

Honestly it worries me a bit that we might just get spammed with people's junk in the FS topics, by all means if you want to donate do so and if you want to sell something and donate the proceeds you can do that on here or on eBay if not at 200 posts but there's no way to prove that the proceeds go the the cause after the fact and I'd rather it just be kept to normal sales listings.

18. JwRosenthal Jun 25, 2019

So you vote for individual listings rather than a group listing?

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  19. Observer I know nothing! Jun 25, 2019

Makes sense to me. Maybe there's a common tag sellers can use in the title.

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  20. JwRosenthal Jun 25, 2019

I put that scenario above as a “Bake Sale for Bil- Strap lot” or bake sale for Bill A Running Tissot”. I like the Ida as it keeps things simple, but didn’t want to overload the FS sections with this stuff- thus why I posted the alternatives to the mod’s to weigh in on.
    I just want to keep is as simple and manageable as possible without stepping on anyone’s toes

watchdaddy1 likes this.