Forums Latest Members
  1. shishy www.hpmor.com Apr 2, 2017

So, I am still hunting for a 66CB and think I found yet another promising one. I compared it to my references on speedmaster101 (I unfortunately don't have a copy of my book yet!)

Anyway, here are some pictures. I've tried to compare it to what I've read so far, but I still don't think my knowledge is comprehensive since I just started searching for this not terribly long ago. If anyone has time, I'd appreciate a second look. If you live near DC I'll buy you a beer for your help...Asking price is 11.700€.

watch.png
    DON bezel in good condition (relative to what I've seen...). Hands are original and judging by pictures I think that is the case. Pushers were replaced I think, but the seller still has the original ones (The flat ones) so they will be provided (just not fixed into the watch).
    image1.JPG
    Movement picture was a fuzzy but it seems OK. Asking for a clearer one just for my sanity at least.

image2.JPG
    Bracelet

bracelet.png

Caseback

back.png

Marked as CB

Caseback.png

Watch reportedly just came back from Omega servicing.

I'm approaching this with healthy skepticism so I'm going to keep trying to find more pictures and (hopefully) not jump on it until my copy of Moonwatch Only gets here so I can evaluate it fully. But yeah, thanks for taking a look!

Screwbacks likes this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 2, 2017

Where around DC are you? I am in Alexandria and have a copy of the 1st edition of Moonwatch only you are welcome to comb through.

I have a '67, but am by no means an expert on these. That being said, I agree 100% with you asking for more/ better photos, particularly of the movement. are the photos of the inside pre-service? It almost seems like focus was intentionally blurred due to some small signs of corrosion here and there, but I am really speculating based on some things that are hard to see. If they are not pre-service, then I would add the cost of a potentially-needed service. To me the case and dial look pretty good, and the bezel is not too bad even if it has some chips out here and there.

Also, if the photos were pre-service, and service was actually by Omega, hopefully they did not replace the anything important.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  3. shishy www.hpmor.com Apr 2, 2017

I agree about the Omega service, and I've followed up to ask the seller about this because that was my biggest concern. I will check to see if the pictures are pre or post service, though. Good call.

And, I live near College Park! But I'll be working in McLean starting July :). I might take you up on that...

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 2, 2017

I don't envy your upcoming commute!

Anyway, just let me know if you want to spend some quality time looking through the book. I work right down the street from my house, so unfortunately that is no closer to you.

shishy likes this.
  5. Davidt Apr 2, 2017

The case looks pretty good and the bezel is ok. Do you have a clearer picture if the dial though? The lume on these CBs tends to be a lovely deep yellow shade, and I can't tell here if the lume is missing in large places or just pale.

For that price I'd want excellent, original lume.

6. shishy www.hpmor.com Apr 2, 2017

The only picture I have of the dial is the one I posted (at least the most clear). I asked for another one and also asked the seller about the lume for the same reason you said. I agree it is a little pale compared to what I've seen in other CBs.

One thing though, if the lume is just pale or missing as you said, I am not sure how to re-evaluate the price and counter offer. How do you know how much to come back with...?

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 2, 2017

When I look at the dial pic up close, it looks like lume is typically there, although may be missing at some locations where the marker extends onto the higher part of the dial. What is there looks like it may have gotten discolored possibly from moisture, which tracks with what may be some small signs of corrosion in the movement pic. It looks a bit like someone may have tried to clean the lume, but the dial is too out of focus to really tell.

The bracelet is probably $1k+ of the value, so watch head is about $11k USD. Overall the price seems high to me, but '66s have been listed for $$$ this past week. Lately I have been regretting passing up a couple of '66s about 1-1/2 years ago, when they were around $7k; the '67 I got instead is in overall nicer condition, but '67 values seem to have gone up the least of the 321 Speedys.

8. shishy www.hpmor.com Apr 2, 2017

The seller told me that the photos are after service and that his dealer can handle vintage watches (noted that the original pushers are, as mentioned, not in the watch but provided separately).

Dial has some tritium loss, but he also noted that the previous owner was from Holland and didn't see much sunshine (I believe it hahaha).

Anyway, he will follow up with sharper pictures of the movement tomorrow so I'll post them once I get them.

9. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 2, 2017

Nice to see a CB case 105.012 with the lines on the lugs clearly defined. Shame to see over polished examples where they are Barely visible.

shishy likes this.
  10. Davidt Apr 2, 2017

Let's see how the movement and dial look in better pictures. I think you need better pics all round to be honest though. That price is very top end for this model and how people think they can ask such sums for watches and provide such shit pictures is beyond me.

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 2, 2017

Ask for pics in natural sunlight if possible.

Price is high, but we seem to say that every month, and yet watches keep selling.

12. shishy www.hpmor.com Apr 2, 2017

Yep, I did :). I'll wait till he responds.

And, I haven't followed these for a terribly long time so my perspective is perhaps jaded but I feel like they've been going for 12 or 13k+... I'm mentally prepared to shell out that much if I find the right one, but I do recall they were like half the price just a year or more ago. :(.

oddboy likes this.
  13. Overgrower Apr 2, 2017

In my opinion that's a lot of $ for the watch. The dial lume plots looked washed out in some areas. The hands seem to have lost all the lume. And the subdial hands appear to have chipped paint. At this price point I personally would want nicer looking lume.

T<25 likes this.
  14. T<25 Apr 2, 2017

For that kind of money, I will be looking into straight lugs speedies. The case is in good shape. But dial is number 1 IMHO.

15. Screwbacks Apr 2, 2017

check it and see it personally. it's good to hold it in real steel because
    photos dont usually the true condition of the watch.

16. shishy www.hpmor.com Apr 2, 2017

I wish, i can't travel across the globe at the moment. But point taken and in the ideal world I would.

Screwbacks likes this.