Forums Latest Members
  1. staristheanswer Aug 14, 2019

I think it is "us" and "they" because It is not in my hand or yours to stop the deforestation in the Amazon,to stop big factories to produce plastic bottles and plastic bags not in my hand to stop factories to bribe the governments and throw their waste in the rivers.
    So it is "they",the greedy 2% of human beings in our planet that is doing the big damage.

2. Lurk41 Aug 14, 2019

It is in your hand, even if it will take time to change things. The offer needs to meet the demand. If people want to go eco-responsible and stop buy, for example, plastic bottles, then the offer will follow and we wont produce plastic bottles anymore. And politics will follow too if eco-responsible lobbies(*) are strong enough to fight against big companies.
    In France non biodegradable plastic bags are forbidden since a few years. From January 2020, disposable tableware will be forbidden too.
    That won't save Earth from the current extinction event, but that is an improvement.

Now you have to be careful to not fell and demand for a false improvement offered by the industry (cough... current electric cars... cough...)

(*) Be careful about "good" lobbies too. Even if they are pushing for a more sustainable world, they are still businesses that are here to make some money, so better select the ones that are efficient

Archer likes this.
  3. staristheanswer Aug 14, 2019

It is impossible to make a change from the consumer even if the consumer wants to be ecological if you go to a refrigerator to buy a water,everything there is in plastic bottles...the company is not giving you the option to choose...it is like demanding,you to have the drink in a plastic bottle.Water is one of the most sellable during summer for example,I've never seen glass bottles in a commercial refrigerator of coca cola for example.
    So in my opinion if the government of a country demads from the manufacturer not to use plastic...the consumer has no choice but to buy the product that they produce in the container thecompanies are obligated to use....aluminium...glass etc.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2019

I drink my water out of the tap, and have reusable bottles (plastic and stainless steel) to take water with me. Crying that you can't do anything is just expecting someone else to do the work for you...

gdupree, wagudc, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  5. Martin_J_N Aug 14, 2019

I really couldn't agree more, if the human race doesn't act now then our long term habitation of this planet is doomed.

Archer likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2019

I think you need to step back and look at what you do personally in the big picture that contributes to climate change, pollution, etc.

For example, if you have investments, are they in companies that do the very things that you are against? If so, you should consider selling off that stock and investing in companies that are more "green" or use your standing as a shareholder to bring your concerns forward to these companies.

Many may see this next one as controversial, but one of the most significant things humans do to negatively affect the health of the planet is to reproduce. If you don't have any children, consider keeping it that way, or if you already have some, stop where you are. There's probably no single thing you can do as a person that will benefit the planet more. If you feel you must have children, consider adopting.

There are certainly other things, but I guess my point is that there are a lot of things people do that are net negatives to the planet, and aren't even aware of the significance. Certainly governments have a roll to play in this, but they are not stepping up fast enough, so it is up to individuals to act in their place. You seem to want to say that there's nothing you can do at all, and that sort of attitude will certainly doom the planet.

7. Martin_J_N Aug 15, 2019

My biggest concerns along with our inability to give up plastic are;

Our continued reliance on fossil fuels, our inability to replace trees we have cut down to help reduce CO2 levels, our inability to protect existing forests from felling, the inability of our politicians to see beyond their own agendas.

I appreciate that these are generalisations but they are IMHO some key areas that have to be addressed if we are to save our home.

Archer and staristheanswer like this.
  8. Longbow Aug 15, 2019

Why look so far afield? Illegal deforestation is taking place on your own doorstep in the Ukraine with that timber being imported into factories in Romania.

Wood from the Romanian Schweighofer plant is used in the production of goods sold in “Ikea” stores. Egger, Kronospan and Swiss-Krono supply wood panels and floors to Wickes and Homebase in the UK Hagebau, Obi and Hornbach in Germany and Leroy Merlin and Castorama in France.

https://vhk-bw.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Anlage_2_zu_RS_Möbel_09_2018.pdf

Edited Aug 15, 2019
    Archer and staristheanswer like this.
  9. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 16, 2019

10. Denarius Jan 10, 2020

Thread reboot - So with the latest 321 released week along with NASA rolling out their latest rocket for the moon, what might be the plans for Omega??

11. Canuck Jan 10, 2020

We need to listen to luminaries such as Leonardo DiCaprio. He was recently involved in filming a movie in the Kananaskis (Rocky Mountains, west of here). When a chinook (warm westerly wind) occurred, he postulated that he had discovered global warming!

6E4B9176-B1A4-4AEA-B571-CA70CA733A2E.jpeg

12. kokose7en Jan 12, 2020

Do you think Omega, even with their relationship with NASA, have a choice on what watch to send to the upcoming moon trip? I’m assuming now, the astronauts have their pick on what they want to wear.

Though, I’m sure Omega will be making reissues with the new 321. Some celebration series reissue 105.003, 105.012 and 145.012 with new 321 Movements in them.