Forums Latest Members
  1. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Mar 23, 2014

Here I present you the latest addition to my small collection a Semaster ref 14763 from 1961 with a wonderful black dial with great patina
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Omega vintage database describes the watch as 18k solid gold but with a little research I made I found that it had a gold cap and a stainless steel version.
    Here it is with my other Omega:
    [​IMG]
    What can you tell me about the bezel; It seems to me as it was gold plated sometime before in the past and I wonder if it's original to the watch...

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 23, 2014

looks good. can we get closer shots of the dial, so we can all drool some more!

3. SeanO Mar 24, 2014

most likely it has a 14k/18k bezel (solid gold) on a stainless steel case.

4. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Mar 24, 2014

Ok some close-up photos of the dial, bezel, movement etc..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These photos were taken by this super macro lens:)
    [​IMG]
    I believed that the bezel was gold plated sometime before in the past, but SeanO's answer that it's 14k/18k solid gold made me curius. Can you tell from the photos of the bezel if he's right;

5. WildWolf Mar 24, 2014

Which strap do you have on it? I like it a lot. Thx

6. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Mar 24, 2014

It's a greek-made Tzevelion strap. It's a decent quality strap. Later I will put on a brown hand-made Morellato strap

7. WildWolf Mar 24, 2014

thx- I tried to google it but didn't see anything pop up.

8. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Mar 24, 2014

my bad I mispelled the name. It's Tzevelion and this is their site: www.tzevelion.gr (for some reasons it's not opening now so try it later)

9. WildWolf Mar 24, 2014

thank you.

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 24, 2014

Unfortunately there are several issues with your watch.

The bezel is an incorrect replacement, it should be much wider with a flatter profile and should be steel for a steel cased watch, not gold. Note the gap between the edge of your bezel and the lugs.

Additionally the dial has been rather poorly refinished. The fonts are incorrect, much later 1970s style for the OMEGA and AUTOMATIC, with the post ca 1966 short S in Seamaster. Also the printing should be in gold to match the gold figures on the dial.

The crown is also an incorrect replacement.

Here is a correct ref 14763 for reference.

$(KGrHqV,!qcFGlD1hijYBRr59CT,Rg~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16J,!wsE9suw)zvoBRr59n!F8g~~60_57.JPG

11. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Mar 24, 2014

Thanks for your reply,
    I suspected that the bezel isn't original looking from pics I found on the internet. I admit I am a newbie in collecting Omega watches and I respect your experience, but I have some questions. I find hard to believe that this dial with this patina has been refinished. I have another Omega( an early Geneve ref 2981 which I bought for a good price) which is refinished and it's nothing like that. This dial seems to have a really nice patina which I don't believe it would had if it had been redialled and especially "poorly". Also about the bezel is it easy to find a correct replacement; Do sites like ofrei or Jules Borel have it or I must look for it in ebay; I want to clarify again that I have no intention to offend you in any way and I look forward for your answer.

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 24, 2014

Actually your "patina" simply another indicator of this being a poorly refinished dial, poorly applied low quality lacquer.

As for the bezel, you'll have to search eBay, not likely something you're going to find NOS anywhere.

Good luck.