Forums Latest Members

Back On Stage: The Omega Speedmaster Platinum Moonphase Master Chronometer

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 20, 2019

[​IMG]
    Already in 2018, we showed you the new Omega Speedmaster platinum moonphase watches, in green, blue and red. These watches were presented to us on platinum bracelets, with a weight of approximately 500 grams each. We don’t exactly know why those watches (we showed them to you in this article) never made it to the […]

Visit Back On Stage: The Omega Speedmaster Platinum Moonphase Master Chronometer to read the full article.

Wetworks and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  2. LeonDeBayonne Aug 20, 2019

Lack of demand, maybe? Consumer fatigue, maybe? Oversupply, maybe? Relative over-pricing, maybe?

3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 20, 2019

500g with bracelet :eek::eek::eek:

Only this guy has enough muscle to wear that (it weighs more than his gun) ...

[​IMG]

Would love to know the rationale for platinum 'costing' so much more than gold when it comes to watches.
    According to today's spot price, platinum costs $27441 per KG, and gold is $48218 per KG.
    I realize platinum is more dense, so, you need more of it (per weight) to get the same volume, but the relative densities at room temperature are

21.45 g/cm³ for platinum and
    19.32 g/cm³ for gold

...it thus not 4x more dense, justifying double the price... so something does not add up. Feel free to bash my logic and set me straight :thumbsup:

M'Bob and janw23 like this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy Aug 20, 2019

It's still so much better looking than before. Blue on strap is the way to go. Red = Imma gunna barf

5. LeonDeBayonne Aug 20, 2019

If you like blue, I could only recommend the ck2998 blue. It trades at one tenth of the price of the watch shown above. The rest can go to charity. :)

6. janw23 Aug 20, 2019

Because they can is the answer to everything whacky in this business. Until we stop buying anyway.

7. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 20, 2019

Nope. Had to do with the bracelet.

8. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 20, 2019

The same goes for gold watches. It is not the mark-up for these precious materials only (as you indicated, the price of gold or platinum per gram doesn't justify the final price tag), but also the way this material needs to be processed/machined. That said, of course, there's a marketing mark-up as well. It is the ultimate luxury material, so you better pay for that :)

thefish, eugeneandresson and Aludic like this.
  9. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Aug 20, 2019

In addition to @Robert-Jan's insightful comment above, I could also imagine that setting up a production line for a limited run of a precious metal model weights onto the scale as well. Both based upon the actual time, effort and investment to do so, as well as in terms of opportunity cost. Once a line is set up for a limited run of one item, it cannot be used for something else simultaneously...

Robert-Jan likes this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 20, 2019

It’s exactly the same for the gold LE’s (or any LEs for that matter -> cost incurred in setting up a limited production run) ... so totally does not explain the significant difference between the price of gold and platinum watches. Forgetting LE’s, another example : gold/platinum Daytona’s share a similar price differential. It still makes zero logical sense (unless machining costs of platinum are crazy expensive/more difficult than gold...I don't claim to know how cases are made, but i could also imagine that metal is melted into a mold and then once solidified, that is polished/brushed, same process for all metal) ...

Edited Aug 20, 2019
    Robert-Jan likes this.
  11. queriver Aug 20, 2019

For a long time platinum sold at a higher per oz price than gold. Because it has only recently become cheaper than gold, most likely it is still perceived by many people to be more "precious" and watch companies take advantage of the misconception.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  12. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Aug 20, 2019

Good point. Probably the changeover and opportunity cost indeed apply equally to each LE. These would only be a (at best partial) explanation of the premium charged for an LE over standard issue watches.

Edited Aug 20, 2019
  13. larryganz The cable guy Aug 20, 2019

I traded my CK-2998 LE #911 for a blue TT submariner because the 2998 wore too small due to the blue chapter ring side-by-side with the bezel, making the dial look smaller, plus the lack of crown guards. Then when I changed my mind I found out that my old #911 was stolen from the watch shop that traded me.

I then sold the TT submariner, and bought a Hulk because the two-tone sub also felt small on my wide flat wrist, and Hulk is, well a Hulk.

fskywalker likes this.