Forums Latest Members

Back for more advice - Adding to my collection of one

1. mwsmith3 Oct 23, 2011

Several months back, I posted a "help needed" add for my Seamaster. As is turned out, the watch was an 18K golden Seamaster my father gave me ~20 years ago. Based on the excellent advice received from forum members (thanks again Desmond), I had it professionally restored and wear the watch a couple days each week.

I'm now ready to add another watch to my growing collection of two. Currently, I have the 18K gold Seamaster and $30 USD Ironman Timex. I'm leaning toward buying one of the older Speedmasters and trying to learn a little before purchasing. I like the looks of the older "moon watches". However, there seem to be sizes - ~38MM and ~42MM and several different movements (manual and self winding automatic?)

I'm looking for a "near everyday" watch (sorry Timex, you are about to be retired). My budget is up to ~ $2,000-3,000 USD. Where do I start? Mike

2. Steve Oct 23, 2011

There's only one Moon Watch to buy.

The Speedmaster Professional,
    Caliber: Omega 1861
    Famous manual-winding chronograph movement that was worn on the Moon. Rhodium-plated finish
    Size
    Gents
    Case Diameter: 42 mm
    Crystal
    Hesalite crystal

moonwatch.png
    But thats just my opinion !.:D

3. ulackfocus Oct 23, 2011

The smaller size Speedies are automatics, with various movements inside - some nicer than others. If you want a nice moonwatch that isn't ludicrously expensive look at the mid 70's caliber 861 versions. Be careful because there's a lot of shenanigans surrounding them since they're so popular.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 24, 2011

Skip the autos, get a 3570.50 if you can, the older models, as suggested above, can have had some odd surgery in their lives, especially some of the ones on eBay. My pick would be the most recent 3570.50 you can find at the best price possible, of better yet, for about 2.5k you can get a 3572.50 with the rhodium plated movement and displayback.