Forums Latest Members
  1. thephil Jun 11, 2018

Hi everyone,

Hope you can advise...
    I'm going to get my 145.012-67 Speedy serviced.
    The crown winds, but is quite stiff. I've been a bit reluctant in case of parts needing replacing, but I'm thinking to get it at least cleaned and oiled - what do you think?

What sort of prices might I be looking to pay in the UK from an independent watch place? Doubt its a job for Omega based on the potential for them to replace and upgrade parts...

Also, on the dial there is quite a bit of patina. I love it but could it be cleaned up just a little? Or is it often a re-paint or re-lume or nothing at all?

Any thoughts are appreciated...

Best,
    Phil

speedy_321.JPG
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. gdupree Jun 11, 2018

Others will comment more directly to the price of servicing a 321, but I will comment that you should not try to clean or alter the lume, in my opinion. I think it's attractive how it is, and because of it's NASA-heyday association I think that these watches will be valued more for their originality than their condition.

Oh, and definitely don't send it to Omega.

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 11, 2018

I would leave the dial well alone but I would be tempted to have the hands restored, as they are they just look grotty. It won't be cheap to have that properly serviced, anything from £400-550 depending on who you use but if you go to the likes of Swiss Time Services or Simon Freese you will be sure to get a top notch job

4. Philou Jun 11, 2018

I have just serviced my 105.012 at Swiss Time Services, it cost me 541£+VAT.

5. maxbelg Jun 11, 2018

Here's an example of a service price list:
    http://watchguy.co.uk/price-list/

While I quite like the look of the lume I'd definitely at least have it stabilised and even replaced if my watchmaker thought it posed a risk of falling into the movement. The stiff crown is probably the gasket inside which has degraded: had the same thing happening. Probably need a new crown too.

thephil and Etp095 like this.
  6. propervinyl Jun 11, 2018

Worth pointing out that replacement of worn out movement parts could raise the cost - depending on the extent of the wear inside the movement. However, 321 parts will only become more difficult to find in the coming years. Personally, I would view this as an opportunity rather than a cost.

Also, I agree with others - leave the lume alone. It is honest and tells a story. I find that attractive in a watch. Just my 2p.

thephil and Etp095 like this.
  7. thephil Jun 11, 2018

Good point, thanks, it is an opportunity!

8. thephil Jun 11, 2018

Thanks.
    Ive contacted Christian @thewatchguy so hopefully he'll get back to me with a positive reply.

Agree with you all too. i love the way the lume looks so wouldn't want to re-do all of this.
    Although with get a POV on the risk of falling into the movement.
    noted on the gasket too... had read about this so prepared for a bit of work beyond the service.

Cheers!

9. propervinyl Jun 11, 2018

Well, there will be members here who disagree with me on this one point.

Either way, leave the dial as is!

thephil likes this.
  10. Don Bocadillo Jun 11, 2018

My 145.102-67 is currently getting the STS spa treatment... GBP 541.00, A bargain!

nonuffinkbloke and thephil like this.
  11. thephil Jun 11, 2018

yeah i'm keeping them as my fallback option if Christian can't take it on.

12. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 11, 2018

Hello Phil. What a lovely Omega Speedmaster. :)

In the UK we are very fortunate. We have Simon Freese and, for the sake of your Speedmaster , it's a great opportunity for you to get the best service. He's a nice, helpful bloke so, before you decide on anything, why not give him a call and have a chat about your watch.

Simon was the workshop manager at (STS) Swiss Time Services UK for 15 years. He now has his own workshop. http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/

Simon Freese Watchmakers or STS are at the top of the list for some of the most respected collectors of Omega watches on this forum. People send them their watches from all around the world. The idea of them being "fallback options" may raise one or two smiles.:D

I took the advice of the real experts on this forum. My 105.012-65 Speedmaster was assessed by Simon (when he was at STS) and serviced at STS. It was a 1st class job.

Be nice to see your Watch after it's been serviced.:)

Edited Jun 11, 2018
  13. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 12, 2018

Christian’s problem will be parts access. He has no Omega parts account so anything he needs beyond the routine will cause him headaches. He refused to service a bumper for me for this reason. STS have full access and while he doesn’t have full official access AFAIK, I suspect Simon would have much better access than most independents due to his recent work history/contacts.

Edited Jun 12, 2018
    thephil and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  14. neilbardsley Thought about a Speedy, got a Speedy Jun 12, 2018

Connect @stefan on here I had my 861 serviced with him and cheaper than all of the above. You will not be disappointed

thephil likes this.
  15. Beltza Jun 12, 2018

Hi, with an indépendant watchmacker i pay about 350€ to service a 861,321movement if there is no part to change( wheel...)
    For your speed i will think about the hands, a work on or a change for better original.
    Best

thephil likes this.
  16. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 13, 2018

"Cheaper" sounds good Neil and I'm sure Stefan is as good as you say.:thumbsup:.... But is that the best option for a 321, 145.012-67? ::confused2:: I think @padders made a valid point with regard to 321 parts. OK my STS service was £610, but I got correct, matched hands and a1960's 24 tooth crown fitted in that price. Overall, I got a service and clean that has made my pre-moon Speedmaster look better and added value.

I think Simon Freese is a bit cheaper than STS and can work wonders on aesthetics as well. These are the people that members such as @Spacefruit use on a regular basis. There has to be a good reason for that.:)

thephil likes this.
  17. neilbardsley Thought about a Speedy, got a Speedy Jun 13, 2018

I can't comment on Simon as I've never used him but I certainly didn't mean to imply that Stefan takes short cuts to be cheaper. I don't think he has trouble getting access to parts either. However, I only needed a main spring and another standard part so can't comment/compare. I suspect he is better value because he had a day job servicing watches but does this work on his own time. I know of a few collectors/dealers that have this kind of relationship with people to look after their watches.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  18. Cuttysark Jun 13, 2018

My watchmaker ask 300€ for the complete service. It's one of the best in north Italy

thephil likes this.
  19. thephil Jun 13, 2018

Hi @nonuffinkbloke , thank you for the advice. I did email Simon and he has offered to service it so I'll send him some pics and get it over to him in the coming weeks. Noted on the comment from @padders as well regarding parts...
    Simon has a 10 week backlog but I'm in no rush. Its the comfort that it is in safe hands.
    Yeah lol, apologies on the "fallback option" comment, mean no disrespect, its nice there are a few sound options being suggested by members here which allow us to choose. But the comments here have been very helpful, thanks to everyone!
    Cheers, Phil

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  20. Kwijibo Jun 13, 2018

I generally pay 250 euros.