Forums Latest Members

Aventurine vs Meteorite...Speedmaster choice...

1. Superdoc Mar 24, 2014

Ok gang, I'm looking for some advice...

I've narrowed my speedmaster choice down to the Aventurine dialed Moonphase and the meteorite (Yes, I can get one!)

What do you guys think?

Take price out of the equation, because the price difference is a non-issue..

I'm hoping to get some greater perspective on the choice...

For me... the Meteorite has: - Limited edition, hard to get, classic speedmaster appearance, and of course the Meteorite dial...

The Aventurine has - gorgeous dial, moon phase, nice size, display back (revealing and absolutely stunning manual wind movement)

I truly can't decide...

120310_IMG_4686.jpg

or

omega-apollo-soyuz-554x620.jpg

Truth is I probably will end up buying both....

But which should be the NEXT one ...and have the esteemed honour of being my FIRST Speedmaster??

travisrock likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2014

I love the aventurine and meteorite too, but in your case, the Aventurine is 44.25mm or so, compared to the 42mm of the Pro, with your very large wrists the Aventurine will be perfect for you.

Fusion likes this.
  3. Jimmy Jim Mar 24, 2014

My vote goes to the meteorite. Not only is it space history in the speedy... But it is actually something FROM space!

That and I'm pissed I didn't jump on it when I had a chance to get one. :D

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 24, 2014

Buy both !!!! that's a very wise statement ;)
    First buy the speediorite. You can not go wrong with Speediorite, and since it is limited edition it is a little bit more difficult to find.
    After that acquire Aventurine. It is just so gorgeous.

tpatta and NT931 like this.
  5. JohnSteed Mar 24, 2014

Size / fit / looks can be determining factors too.

[quote="Superdoc" ... Truth is I probably will end up buying both....[/quote]

But then, go ahead, don't see why not. A man's gotta do what he's gotta do. Purely a matter of taste & legacy now

6. Shem Mar 24, 2014

I own the Aventurine, and I think it's one of the most unique and beautiful watches in the industry, not to mention one of the best moonphases in existence. I agree with those who say to buy both, as I still have a Speediorite on my list, too. The idea that the Speediorite is "limited" compared to the Aventurine is a little bit misleading; sure, it's a "limited edition," but Omega didn't make a whole lot of Aventurines (there are something like 25ish total in the US Boutiques and probably fewer in US ADs, for example) and not a whole lot have been sold, either. The Aventurine was quietly discontinued recently. So while the Speediorite is a bit harder to find at the moment given that most ADs no longer have it in stock, the Aventurine will eventually be hard to find, too, and I suspect there were far fewer made.

If you choose not to get the Speediorite, I'd appreciate a tip on where you can get the one you're thinking about. ;)

Fusion likes this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 24, 2014

Subtle competition :D. Last time I visit Omega boutique in Changi Airport Singapore on February, there is still one available.

8. Jimmy Jim Mar 24, 2014

Note to self, schedule meeting in Singapore....

9. Unwound Mar 25, 2014

The Moonphase for sure. I had a meteorite speedy on my list to purchase until I had one in my hand at AD. It just didn't do the part.

The Moonphase is it's own beast. I wish I had one.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 25, 2014

As much as I liked the look of etched meteorite, I would go with the moon phase watch instead. I think I would get tired of the meteorite dial over time.

Cheers, Al

11. pharmer0103 Mar 26, 2014

Adventurine is my vote. With that moon phase complication and the special dial it truly has everything.

12. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2014

Adventurine every time. Moon phases are special :)

13. Albertwii81 Mar 26, 2014

How about getting the original speedy pro which is a classic and aventurine? Hahaha

Fusion and travisrock like this.
  14. omega1234 Mar 27, 2014

Aventurine is awesome, but the Apollo Soyuz has Omega's best dial EVER.

dsio, Privateday7 and DLT222 like this.
  15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 27, 2014

+1 .........

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 27, 2014

Sounds a bit like Kanye there lol

Fusion and travisrock like this.
  17. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 27, 2014

I think Taylor Swift might think differently

Fusion and dsio like this.
  18. Timmovitz May 27, 2015

So what did you get and price range?

19. anselmw May 27, 2015

RJ, get the Soyuz, plenty of aventurine's still around.

20. travisrock May 27, 2015

In terms of aesthetics alone, this is difficult. In terms of being your first speedy- neither. Get a classic, non limited edition speedy first. THEN, get an adventurine, cause that dial is just bloody magical.