Forums Latest Members

Automatic watch for 8 year old (advice)

1. semper_shells Aug 20, 2017

Hello all!

I am currently on the hunt for a nice starter watch for my 8 year old nephew. I want to get him something analog (so he can practice telling time), automatic (no batteries, and why not) and cool!

I instantly landed on this sweet Sekio 5 SNK807. Comes on a nato which is perfect because he is active. He likes the color blue, and seems like a great candidate for a starter watch. Before I pull the trigger I just wanted to know if there were any other watches that you all could recommend? I want to keep the budget around $50 and don't have a preference between new or used. Thanks for your suggestions!

Screenshot_20170820-151921.png

José9, Drawarms, Bill Sohne and 2 others like this.
  2. jimmyd13 Aug 20, 2017

You know your nephew better than anyone here does but just a couple of things you might want to consider:

First up, his wrists are going to be smaller than you think. There'll be nothing worse than buying him a great looking watch only to see if fall over his hand no matter how small you fasten the strap or bracelet.

The other thing is that, when I was eight, there was nothing, and I mean NOTHING, cooler than Snoopy. See what he and his friends think is really cool.

After that, it's a great idea ... good luck finding the right watch.

Kmart, Wryfox and semper_shells like this.
  3. semper_shells Aug 20, 2017

Thanks for the input. I didn't think about the wrists issue. He expressed interest in my Tudor Heritage Black Bay Black and said he wanted something like that. Could I get the Seiko and purchase him a smaller nato to fit his wrist?

jimmyd13 likes this.
  4. jimmyd13 Aug 20, 2017

Sounds like a plan to me. He's going to be more about the look, the feel, the being "grown up" than he is about a name or movement yet.

semper_shells likes this.
  5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 20, 2017

These Seiko 5 represent superb bang for your buck and I bought one a while back. The supplied strap was not to my liking - a bit stiff and coarse, so I invested a small amount in a dirt cheap nato - much better :)

Seiko 5 Nato.jpg

All that having been said, and unless specs have changed, it's non-hacking and non-handwinding. Also, for an 8 year old, the somewhat fiddly changing of day and date over months containing less than 31 days or if he lets it run down might be frustrating. However, it's a good choice for an introduction to "proper" watches.

mikechi22 and semper_shells like this.
  6. Jking something intelligent and witty... Aug 20, 2017

Timely thread for me as my 5 year old son is now asking for a watch like mine. Im not sure on an auto yet...thinking a cheap timex Quartz on a nato to start and see how it goes. I'll be curious how it turns out for you.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 20, 2017

That Seiko was my choice as soon as I saw the title.

watchknut, semper_shells and Euxinus like this.
  8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 20, 2017

On further reflection, I think I own the perfect watch for an 8 year old (which makes me 50 years too old for it :confused:). It's a MARATHON General Purpose Mechanical MIL-PRF-46374G which I bought a while back from the admirable @Alpha

34mm width, simple with no day/date complications, hand winding (not automatic :() but milspec, tough as old boots and has RADIOACTIVE GLOWING TUBES!!!!! What 8 year old wouldn't be wowed (or maybe terrified) by that :D
    Marathon.jpg

9. No.15 Aug 20, 2017

I think the Seiko 5 is great. If it were me I would get a quartz. Only because if an automatic stops it needs to be set and that can lead to problems for a youngster. Start them off simple and progress as they get more experience.

10. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 20, 2017

Some nice looking watches - maybe a tad on the large size for an 8 year old though. I would have thought 34 - 38mm max would be the sweet spot.

11. Vitezi Aug 20, 2017

I think the Seiko is a bit too large. I'd go with a quartz boys-sized watch, like this:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

He'll never remember to wind it anyway.

12. semper_shells Aug 20, 2017

Now that is a cool watch, I think it may be better suited for me. lol

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  13. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2017

Hi

That is exactly what I was going to suggest !

Can't go wrong

Good hunting

Bill

14. M.D. Aug 20, 2017

I agree, an automatic watch will be a hassle to continuously set ad it's guaranteed to run out. I know this because I bought a Seiko 5 for my 7 year old nephew who liked my watches and he doesn't wear it enough to stay wound. Quartz would be better.

As for the strap, it was too big. I bought a rubber strap with a deployant that you size by cutting the strap. I was able to fit it perfectly for him. As he gets bigger I'll buy another similar strap until his wrist is big enough for a regular strap.

15. Ritzwatch Aug 20, 2017

I did the Seiko 5 (black dial) for my eldest son when he turned 10. He also got a variety of NATO straps to play with. He did think having the display back was pretty cool. Setting the date wasn't a problem as he wore the watch all the time. The only issue was scratches on the plexi (hardlex?), but most of them polish out. He loved it until he turned 11, at which point he wanted a fitness tracker (he loves to run 5ks, so he wanted to keep up with his distances each day.) The size was just fine for a thin-wristed 10 year old.

My second son spent an hour with me and the internet last weekend picking out his 10th birthday gift. He settled on the same blue dial Seiko 5 you show, above. Having tried on his older brother's model, I can say the case is fine on a thick-wristed 9 year old as well.

Happy hunting!

16. Euxinus Aug 20, 2017

I think if you showed a kid how to set the time they would be able to do it easily, when I was 8 I could do things a lot more complex then setting the time on a watch.

Edited a autocorrect.

Edited Aug 20, 2017
  17. semper_shells Aug 20, 2017

Originally I purchase this for my 9yo daughter. She loved it and wore it everyday. It even replaced her fitbit that my wife gave her when she got her Apple watch. Unfortunately somehow this happened and I have not been able to snap it back on...
    20170820_191908.jpg 20170820_191925.jpg

18. Tik-Tok of Oz Aug 20, 2017

image.jpg I had a Swiss watch at age 6. I didn't wear it much and my mom kept it for me. I keep it to this day and she's long gone so you never know what might stick with your son.

Vitezi, wkimmd and semper_shells like this.
  19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 20, 2017

Large oversized overpriced unreadable junk sry

20. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Aug 20, 2017

There is a really nice Hamilton manual wind military issued watch at a local pawn shop.

Could prob snag for you for $75 or so.

34mm and nylon strap. Killer patina to boot.

José9 and semper_shells like this.