Forums Latest Members
  1. ALBLOHE Mar 27, 2019

Hi, I wonder how is the accuracy of your vintage pieces. Mine is consistently +20sgs/day ahead in my seamaster 2846 cal 500... wich is perfectly fine for me as I have it in rotation with some other watches. I understand this would not be a problem for someone wearing a vintage piece ...just curious on how the rest of you guys have your watches running , and what you consider the tipping point to have it serviced and adjusted ....

2. Edward53 Mar 27, 2019

All my vintage watches run within 5-10 seconds per day. At least two of them stay within 2-3 sec. I would not be happy with 20 sec. fast, but then all of mine came to me with the movement in good condition and no issues revealed during service.

ALBLOHE likes this.
  3. ALBLOHE Mar 27, 2019

Thanks edward for sharing

4. DanMarin Mar 27, 2019

Because i like to change the watches which i were very often for me accuracy it's not a problem. I were the watch because i like how it looks..if i want to see what is the time i still look at the phone...:)

ALBLOHE likes this.
  5. ALBLOHE Mar 27, 2019

Thanks for sharing... I know what you mean ;).... I sometimes just stare at the watch without even noticing the hour :)

6. ebrohman Mar 27, 2019

They can be all over the board. One of the first Seamasters I owned would loose minutes per day...needed a new balance staff...wasn't worth the repair. I have some other Seamasters from the 60's and they run (-) 5-10 seconds a day on the wrist, and about +/- 0 on the winder as it rotates through most positions on the unadjusted movement. I've never had a vintage piece run fast. The most accurate vintage pieces are my adjusted Connies. They are usually (-) 5sec to (-) 0 seconds per day on the wrist. I think one is a cal 564, and another is a cal 561. From what I've heard they are some of the best movements from the heyday of in-house Omega engineering. The watchmakers that created them are probably dead, and yet the movement keeps beating. Pretty incredible.

I generally don't bother wearing a piece if it is grossly inaccurate or can't run out the power reserve, unless it is just incredibly beautiful or has some emotional significance.

Tipping point for service for me is if I'm going to be wearing daily, or it straight up doesn't run, or no power reserve, etc. If it's running pretty well, there's a chance service won't make a noticeable difference in accuracy, in my experience. Others may have differing opinions.

If you are a stickler for accuracy I'd consider having modern chronometer in your rotation.

ALBLOHE likes this.
  7. ALBLOHE Mar 27, 2019

Thanks ebrohman for sharing. Servicing a vintage piece is something that scares me a tad, as I am not lucky enough to know a fine vintage watchmaker and also because do not want to tackle the high costs of official servicing (unless it is utterly necessary to use the piece).... so at the end i can get along well with +/- 30 sgs per day... more than that I take action

ebrohman likes this.