Forums Latest Members
  1. Cosd Apr 8, 2016

As some may have read my first post, I haven't worn a watch for possibly 20+ years. My wife bought me a black face AT 8500 for my 50th in January; my first "nice" watch
    Since joining here I'm falling for the Speedy, not a model I considered when I got mine.
    Apologies to the purists, but I'd want an auto over a manual and also would want it pretty clean.

Is something like this a good watch? Are these a desirable watch?

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/Speedmaster DayDate/3220.50.00/4787/item/64617

It's not about buying something to please others, it's about making a sound investment. And having something I would enjoy wearing.

Edited Apr 8, 2016
  2. cimo Apr 8, 2016

An AT is a nice watch indeed! Congrats on your (wife's) good taste.

As for which reference Speedmaster to buy--that is a truly personal choice. They're all "good" watches, but my suggestion is to put together a list of criteria you want and try to find a reference that matches the best. For example, size, movement, color, price, etc. If you want an automatic, the Speedmaster '57 is my personal favorite (though a bit out of my budget). Certainly the original Moonwatch is on the list somewhere, even if it is a manual.. ;)

As for an investment--if you get a fair price on a pre owned piece it's likely that you will make your money back if you choose to sell it later on. But, the market is always fluctuating so whether you will get any return on your money is hard to predict unless the reference you choose happens to see an increase in demand, which is difficult/impossible to predict.