Forums Latest Members
  1. MontreAl Feb 2, 2018

I am new to the forum and have been researching quality watches. I intend to buy myself a diver for my soon-to-come retirement. So, is it a bother to have an automatic diver if I do not intend to wear it every day? Do others find it aggravating to re-set the date and time if the watch has not been worn for a few days?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

noelekal likes this.
  2. apm1 Feb 2, 2018

I don't know your budget but I would definitely go for an automatic. Possibly no date, like a real diver should be..

They can have more then 48 hrs power reserve, depending on the brands.

noelekal and efauser like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 2, 2018

Setting a watch is not a hassle. There are also cheap winders you can use.

I think you will see that most Watch forums will prefer mechanical non quartz watches.

AveConscientia, noelekal and Spruce like this.
  4. Canuck Feb 2, 2018

Find a mechanical diver that you like, and have them show you how to re-set the calendar. Nowadays, most of them are easy to re-set. If you plan on diving with the watch, you will appreciate not having to replace a cell, and having to leave it to have it water tested, as you would with a quartz one.

5. strick9 Feb 2, 2018

I have both there are some high-quality Quartz and mechanical watches have a soul somewhere some time ago a watchmaker spent his day putting it together so why not both?

Fritz and Spruce like this.
  6. 77deluxe Feb 2, 2018

+1 automatic

7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 2, 2018

Only time I'm glad to have a quartz is when I have to throw one on in a hurry for a bike ride.

Otherwise, they really bore me.

8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 2, 2018

If you want a quality watch, then you want an automatic.

9. aluxtrader Feb 2, 2018

I vote for automatic!

10. Professor Feb 2, 2018

Been thinking on the no date option myself.
    Its not like one would be down there for days, though that might be the case for some saturation divers.
    The complication of a calendar is just an unnecessary possible source of malfunction.

Changing batteries of a watch with screwdown case back is more serious than the common quartz watches with press on backs. As mentioned they should be tested under pressure before depending on them.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 3, 2018

I would get either.
    Have both but find with a quartz watch it gets a full pressure test every time I get the battery changed which helped me for many years and may you.
    ( sort of a reminder to get the seals changed and pressure tested every battery change which is very important )

If your more into watches you will appreciate a automatic.

I use a automatic more as its a 1000m Certina but have several quartz as well

image.jpeg

Starman71, alam and Noddyman like this.
  12. alam Feb 3, 2018

I would not say that by selecting quartz we are choosing inferior quality as many mechanical watches are just junk in every measure when compared to decent quartz watches.

:)

F46CB540-C96B-46A4-ACE9-292D9D314C83.jpeg
    Noddyman likes this.
  13. apm1 Feb 3, 2018

Oh please ! Quartz watches are toys :D

Jerseyhammer, kkt and dougiedude like this.
  14. Edward53 Feb 3, 2018

Depends on whether you want a treasured possession or just want to know the time.

15. albertob Feb 3, 2018

16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 3, 2018

True.

I was speaking quite generally.

An educated 'watch' person appreciates the complicated movement living within an automatic/mechanical watch, and will generally regard them as 'better' or more desirable than a ::puke::quartz... Your example of the Seamaster quartz is a perfect example when speaking oxymoronically of a (gulp) quality quartz (that was a little hard to say :p).

The OP said he is looking for a 'retirement' watch which, when I think of that, I think of nothing but a fine automatic... but then, if sometimes winding and resetting seems tiresome, then a quartz has its place (I suppose :rolleyes:)...

17. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 3, 2018

yeah, but aren't most of our watches toys?:whistling:

pascs and noelekal like this.
  18. BrianMcKay Feb 3, 2018

MontreAl, setting date and time and winding isn't a pain.
    Some diving wristwatches don't have date indicators.
    Sometimes we don't bother to set dates if we don't rely on wristwatches to tell to us today's date.

19. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 3, 2018

How often are we told to have a dive watch's seals checked if it's actually used for diving?
    How long does the battery last in a modern dive watch? Think about what you said.

Starman71 likes this.
  20. apm1 Feb 3, 2018

Well, they are nowadays.

In the past you had to rely on them as instruments. imagine if you were a pilot of airplanes or a diver of the Royal Navy..