Forums Latest Members
  1. Dave Glass Jul 4, 2017

I have recently "retired" my 1966 Constellation from daily wear to wearing for dress occasions only. I have looked online at auto winders but am clueless what I need. I just want to put my watch in a cradle which keeps it wound, so I don't have to manually reset the date when I am ready to use it. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what features are important and how such a winder can best be utilized. Thanks from another newby.

2. BenBagbag Jul 4, 2017

Hey Dave,

Welcome to the forum. The forum has a great search feature that can be of help to you. Luckily, this has been discussed many times on the forum. You can learn a lot about the pro's and con's of watch winders, and which ones people use. I just searched for "watch winder" and a bunch came up. Hope you'll stick around.

https://omegaforums.net/search/7141975/?q=watch+winder&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Feel free to share a picture of your constellation, too! :)

blufinz52 likes this.
  3. Dave Glass Jul 4, 2017

Thanks BenBagbag, that is very helpful.

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 4, 2017

+1 on the welcome
    I can understand keeping your Connie safe in a cradle but I think the jury is out on keeping a 50 year old vintage watch on a winder.
    I wear mine in rotation and quite enjoy the 12 to 9 ritual of setting the date on my 561s
    -and another call for pictures of your Constellation.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 4, 2017

I would highly discourage using an automatic winder for an older watch, even if freshly serviced.

I see no reason to accelerate wear on moving parts that may become difficult or impossible to replace in the future.
    gatorcpa

ConElPueblo, Larry S and mondodec like this.
  6. Dave Glass Jul 4, 2017

Per the suggestions, here are a few images of my 1966 Constellation. I have worn this watch continuously since 2000 but think it is time to let it rest a little. Not sure what I will do regarding a watch winder based on the information I am gathering from this forum. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions. 2017-07-04%2021.39.56.jpg 20170704_213744.jpg 2017-07-04%2021.40.59.jpg 2017-07-04%2021.44.50.jpg 2017-07-04%2021.42.11.jpg

Noddyman and BenBagbag like this.
  7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 5, 2017

Hi Dave
    thanks for the pics
    do you know what reference the Connie is - and the movement?

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 5, 2017

Let me add to the general consensus that antique watches and winders are not a good idea. How is putting it in a winder "resting?"

9. Dave Glass Jul 5, 2017

I understand the concerns about winders for antique watches. I have not been wearing an "antique watch", just a very good timepiece which looks great. Giving my watch a "rest" means it will not be banging around on my wrist while I go about daily activities, as it has done every day the last 17 years. You and fellow contributors are warning me that mechanical things cannot run forever. I had not really considered that - after all, it is an Omega. As you can probably discern by now, I am a user, not a collector. I may have to remake myself regarding this watch. Thanks for your insight.

10. Dave Glass Jul 5, 2017

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 5, 2017

I understand the sentiment here, but putting a watch on a winder doesn't "accelerate wear". If it's being worn or used, whether on a winder or on your wrist, it's the same effect on the movement. Running it on a winder or on your wrist can cause faster breakdown of the oils compared to the watch just sitting idle, so perhaps that's what you were getting at.

If a watch has been properly serviced then putting it on a winder won't do any damage, no matter how old the watch is. If it's serviced at regular intervals, before the oils dry out and become ineffective, then there's no reason to fear for the parts inside. The best defense against wear is regular service.

Cheers, Al

propervinyl likes this.
  12. Dave Glass Jul 5, 2017

Peemacgee:
    I don't have a clue about the reference and movement (caliber?). All I know is when I had the watch cleaned, the jeweler said the serial number placed the manufacture date in 1966. I found this rewarding due to the following. For our first wedding anniversary in 1967, my wife gave me a new Omega watch that looked exactly like this one except for the bracelet. That Omega and bracelet were gold filled. During a series of moves to graduate school and new jobs over the next 10 years, my beloved anniversary watch was lost. Fast forward to 2000, and my wife and I were attending a fountain pen show (my main collecting interest). A fountain pen/watch collector had this 18k Constellation for sale at the show,along with other high-end vintage watches (Patek, etc). I sold a few vintage fountain pens and used the proceeds to buy this watch. It was the spitting image of my anniversary watch. We had not been close to being able to afford such a watch early in our marriage. I have had the watch cleaned a couple of times and have worn it daily until recently. I am re-thinking the idea of using a winder based on the feedback I have gotten here. I assume my jeweler can give me the particulars on reference and caliber the next time he has it open. Any other information I should ask for? As I recall, the movement is rose gold, and there are inscriptions on the inside of the case which record past service. Thanks again for your input.

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 6, 2017

The info inside will be:
    Ref no. on inside of case back
    168.004 or 168.010
    Always difficult to tell from photos but the .010 is 19mm between lugs (the .004 is 18mm)
    Given the later style hands it could be an .010

Movt calibre on movement
    Cal 561 or 564
    Easy tell here is the date setting
    If it's quick set i.e. Date changes when you pull the crown out (fully) its a 564
    If it sets by moving hands 12-9 -12 it's a 561

Serial number on movement
    Will give you a rough estimation of age but isn't totally accurate
    (If 1966 is accurate it could be either of the above )
    Hope that helps

14. Dave Glass Jul 6, 2017

Wow, that is really interesting. Without opening the back, it seems I may have a 168.010 (lugs 19mm apart) and caliber 561 (must wind thru 24 hrs to advance date). I may have to have the watch serviced just to get confirmation from the jeweler. I really appreciate your sharing your expertise with such helpful information. I have begun reading various threads on this forum to expand my limited knowledge. You have been most helpful. What are your collecting interests?

15. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 6, 2017

Just for clarity
    All Connies will advance the date at 12 (second time round of course)
    If you then wind it back through 9 then through 12 and the date changes it's a 561
    Early .010s did come with 561s but are much more common with 564s

Dave Glass likes this.