Forums Latest Members
  1. ljhilljr Dec 11, 2015

This Omega Seamaster was given to me as a gift by one of my wife's nephews from Thailand. It has remained at the bottom of my sock drawer for at least 15 years, never worn. Recently I took it to a local watch repair jeweler for cleaning and service and he gave me the movement and case number. Movement number is 19109153 and the case number is 14775. Stupid question....is this watch a manual or an automatic? Thanks for any info!

IMG_1085.JPG IMG_1086.JPG
  2. Hijak Dec 11, 2015

Most likely a manual wind as Omega put Automatic on the dials of autos during this era. The serial number dates your watch to ~ 1962. The case number, 14775 is the reference number...so ref. 14775. Looks like a front load case. If you post clearer pictures more information on dial origionality and condition can be determined.

3. ljhilljr Dec 11, 2015

Thank you.....I will take better pictures soon.

4. flyingout Dec 11, 2015

Wait, an uncle receiving a watch from his nephew?

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 11, 2015

For this kind of watch, if you gently shake the watch and feel something moving around in the case, you have an automatic. An automatic watch has a rotor weight attached to the movement that winds the watch as you move around. Therefore, if you shake it sideways for around 15 seconds and it starts to run for more than 15-30 second, it's an automatic.

6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 11, 2015

According to your case reference number, it seems your watch likely has a manual wind caliber 610.

1122476575-1.jpg
  7. ljhilljr Dec 13, 2015

Thank you all for the info....I've taken a better picture of the face and as you say, it's a manual. I have worn it for a couple days now, keeps perfect time (when you remember to wind it), boy, been years since I've had to wind a watch! Afraid this one will sink to the bottom of my sock draw again. Thanks again!

IMG_1099.JPG IMG_1097.JPG
  8. novina Dec 13, 2015

Seem a pity to put this beautiful Seamaster away i a sock drawer. This is a watch that should be worn. Just seems a waste to me. Granted I prefer automatics, but a nice manual wind would work for me also. Just need to wind it the same time every day. Your watch, your call.

9. arkstfan Dec 13, 2015

Not a watch that is going to cause a frenzy among collectors but I suspect there are some budding collectors that would love to own it since it's an affordable piece and there may be some who specialize in Seamasters that would like to have it round out their collection with another type.

Obviously it's yours to do with as the mood strikes, whether that be wear every day, stick in a sock drawer or something in between.

But if it holds no sentimental value, it doesn't speak to you as piece you enjoy wearing or even displaying, give some thought to selling it as another option. You get a touch of cash to convert that watch into something you'd rather have or enjoy and someone who'd like to own it gets the enjoyment of the watch. You won't go on an intercontinental vacation but you could fund a nice weekend or something else you would enjoy.

If you want to hedge your bets and just hold on to it, wind it a few times a week so it is more likely to stay in good working order. It'd be a real shame to just let it sit and gunk up and reduce your choices down the road.

10. Pvt-Public Dec 14, 2015

Sock drawer? Really? I'm sure you could find some one that would want and wear it. Like said above, a good solid watch, give it a chance to live.

11. ljhilljr Dec 15, 2015

Thank you all again for your opinions about my Seamaster. To be honest, I'm a mechanic and the watch I wear everyday lives in grease, oil, fuel, sweat and dirt. The Omega is much too nice to subject to this and I rarely have occasion to wear a dress watch, so it just sits in the drawer unused. Would someone give me an idea of what it might be worth? Thanks once again!