Authentification of an Omega Seamaster

Hi everyone,

I came across this Omega Seamaster 165.001 on the market but I am struggling a bit to make sure that it is authentic. In particular, I do not see any Omega serial reference number (7 or 8 digit) matching the 165.001 reference nor any movement number. Do you have any idea what the 6-digit number is for? Thanks a lot for your help. Cheers, JM

Looks to be a completely authentic Omega with an 18K case made for Omega by Ed Wenger SA of Geneva. The number in the caseback could be a Wenger serial number or linked to the movement serial.

The movement serial number is hidden beneath the rotor. Ask for more pictures showing the serial number. Also pics of the dial would be good.

No dial pic? 🤨

Thanks for your answer. Attached is the dial pic. I asked for a pic of the number behind the rotor.

Do not worry i think everything is ok with this watch. 165.001 is the reference number and if you google it you should find similar watches.
I seen several with caliber 552 inside.

Thanks all, the seller (jewel store) is not willing to send a pic of the serial number but confirmed that it is a caliber 552 and offered to open the watch and show it to me face to face. Any recommendation as to what I shall be careful about when looking at it? Last question: does it seem correctly valued to you at around EUR 3400? Thanks a lot for your help all. Cheers

Last question: does it seem correctly valued to you at around EUR 3400? Thanks a lot for your help all. Cheers

No. Half that would still be expensive. For 3.4k you can find highly desirable Constellations in 18k, it’s an obscene price for a run of the mill 60s Seamaster.

The watch looks fine and it appears to be in very nice condition, I don't really think there is any reason to need to see the movement again. You can check the caliber for yourself if you don't trust them, and you can confirm that the serial number is from the right era I suppose, but I'm sure everything is ok. Seems like a waste of time unless you're really ready to pay that price.

The watch looks fine and it appears to be in very nice condition, I don't really think there is any reason to need to see the movement again. You can check the caliber for yourself if you don't trust them, and you can confirm that the serial number is from the right era I suppose, but I'm sure everything is ok. Seems like a waste of time unless you're really ready to pay that price.

Thanks all for the information. The cheapest one I could find on Chrono24 at the time is the following one: https://www.chrono24.fr/omega/omega-seamaster-de-ville-automatic-18k-gold-case--id27591495.htm. I guess that it is more reasonable?

Chrono24 is also considered usually expensive. Unless you desperately want this model right now, you could keep an eye on the private sales forum and eBay (there is a great thread pinned with eBay recommended listings). This will likely help save some money.

Thanks all for the pieces of advice! I will keep an eye on the private sales forum.

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bother again. As I plan to offer an omega for a 30-y birthday later in June, I am running a bit against the clock and I do not want to make any (very) bad choice. I am looking for a seamaster 18K. I just saw this one on Chrono24 which seems to be priced a little more fairly than the others on this website : https://www.chrono24.fr/omega/omega...01-crosshair-dial-34mm---1963--id29103408.htm (offered 100EUR less on Akkerman Vintage Watch website : https://akkermanvintagewatches.com/...d-165-001-Crosshair-dial-34mm-1963-p561596822).
Does it seem legit and fine to you (except maybe a little bit overpriced compared to what I could find on the forum sales? but again, running against the clock...).
Thanks a lot again for your help.
JM