Forums Latest Members
  1. ChiPianoTuner Mar 30, 2016

Hi All,

I've been searching for a Geneve Admiralty for a few months now. I saw this one come up and I'm not sure if it's fake or not:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am woefully ignorant when it comes to watch identification, but two things caught my eye: first, the case back is not original, but I'm not sure that's a dealbreaker for me. Second, the crown looks too small. The movement looks comparable to others I've seen posted on this forum (and others), and the band looks good too. Again, I could be way off base on everything.

Can anyone with a more trained eye add any insight? Thanks very much.

meganfox17 likes this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Mar 30, 2016

Edited Mar 30, 2016
  3. ChiPianoTuner Mar 30, 2016

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, I'm quite new at this and I think that I confused the printing on the inside of the case back with the printing on the outside of the case back. I had read the thread you posted, and a few others on other forums, and I suppose the case back could be original.

The crown, however, still looks significantly smaller than in just about every other photo I've seen. Is it possible that the one in the photos I posted is a replacement? Is relatively simple to have the right person order and install a different crown?

I appreciate your (and hopefully the forum's) tolerance for someone who's still learning the ropes.

4. tyrantlizardrex Mar 30, 2016

Hard to say with 100% certainty from the angle of the photos, but the crown does look to be incorrect.

Not something insurmountable for a watchmaker to put right, it may raise questions about the general service of the watch though.

I think this is one to look at with eyes wide open when negotiating the price... Factor in a proper service including correct crown.

5. dragoman Mar 30, 2016

The crown is definitely not the original one.

Otherwise, the watch looks quite right. It is the long lugged version, it has the proper fixoflex and the caseback also looks right.

6. ChiPianoTuner Mar 30, 2016

Thanks very much for your help, guys. I've never had any work done to a watch besides a basic service. Any idea what it might cost (roughly) to order the correct crown and have it installed, assuming it's done along with a standard service?

meganfox17 likes this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Mar 30, 2016

Best talk to a watchmaker with an omega trade account...

8. meganfox17 Mar 30, 2016

Hi @ChiPianoTuner

I guess i'm among the youngest of the Omega forum readers here so my words wont carry much weight to you.
    But i've seen Omega Geneva Admirautes before & i know that Crown width is way small. Also genuine crown would protrude or overhang the crown guards by 0.5 mm. You must seek the expert opinion of the person who owns 2 Omega Geneva Admirautes , a black & a chocolate dial : @JimlnOz

By the way if you meet Jim please show him this image , it's your password
    [​IMG]

Edited Mar 30, 2016
    JimInOz likes this.
  9. ChiPianoTuner Mar 30, 2016

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll ask around and pass on what appears to me to be a somewhat cryptic password.

meganfox17 likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 31, 2016

Dial and case look OK, flexi bracelet is correct but a bit tired. Crown is wrong, should be much wider, almost touching the lugs.

I can't remember what caliber the auto uses but if it's a no date model it looks OK.

11. ChiPianoTuner Mar 31, 2016

Thanks a lot, Jim.