Forums Latest Members

Authenticity Check on Modern Speedmaster

1. garbagemouth May 8, 2019

Hi OF,

I'm potentially picking up a Speedmaster and would appreciate some help.

The seller says the watch is from 2013 or so. There is scarce information on serial numbers post-2000, but the photos indicate a 78,XXX,XXX number.

From what I can gather, this points to a 2007 or 2008 Speedmaster, but I've also found some around 2013/2014/2015 with a 78 number.

Second, the caseback has the Professional Moonwatch" writing on the beveled edge, which is a more modern feature.

Can anyone verify whether or not this caseback belongs on this Speedmaster?

Here's a link to the photo album:
    https://imgur.com/a/K20K96y

And a couple of photos:
    [​IMG]

2. vbrad26 May 8, 2019

That's a more "modern" watch in general.
    Bracelet has screws.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it is any older than 2015.
    But as far as I can tell everything looks to be correct...

Bp1000 likes this.
  3. 77deluxe May 8, 2019

Agree.

4. ilayd May 8, 2019

Mine has a 78,XXX,XXX serial and was purchased in March from an OB and by me last month. In another thread the "Professional Moonwatch" wording on the case back came sometime in 2016 from what I read. As other's have mentioned, looks like a more recent version than a 2013. That could be good if that's when it was actually be made. Or that may mean its a replica of a modern watch and being passed on as an older version?

Was he able to provide the warranty cards? Are they date stamped?

5. garbagemouth May 8, 2019

Thanks all. It seems like this checks out. I read about how modern Speedmaster serial numbers are pretty much unhelpful in determining year.

ilayd,
    No warranty cards or date stamp, unfortunately. It's listed as the 311.30.42.30.01.005, which matches the modern bracelet and the updated caseback. That, combined with the info from your Speedmaster purchase makes me think this checks out.

6. ilayd May 8, 2019

I would inquire with the seller more regarding why he (or she) thinks the watch is from 2013. That's the thing that is giving me pause.... if it was a newer watch that was purchased a year or two ago, why is it they think its older?