Forums Latest Members

[Authenticity Check] Omega Seamaster Automatic (50's?)

1. Nacoga Dec 7, 2018

Hello,
    I recently ran across this Omega Seamaster for sale, and had some doubts regarding authenticity, specially the caseback... To my mostly untrained eye it looks legit, but the rather plain caseback made me a little dubious. It would be amazing if someone could give me their opinions regarding this watch.

Find the pictures attached below: Screenshot_20181207-141113.png Screenshot_20181207-141106.png Screenshot_20181207-141054.png

2. tamura Dec 7, 2018

Looks good to me - nice watch:cool:

3. seekingseaquest Dec 7, 2018

Do not purchase without seeing and posting photos of the movement. Even so, it’s in rough shape - you can find much better.

That said, is the case rose gold or yellow gold capped?

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 7, 2018

Clearly gold capped. Dial isn't in good shape, which would kill it for me but the caseback looks OK if polished for a mid 1950s Seamaster. Could be either late bumper or more likely 500/501 movement full rotor auto. It doesn't look great but I don't think it is fake or Franken. My guess is a model 2846.

ps originally the caseback would have had no seamonster but would have said 'Waterproof' it has probably been polished off.

5. Nacoga Dec 7, 2018

Yeah, it's nothing too fantastic, but it's going for €150. The case seems gold capped to me, and the back does look like it's been polished. I quite like it as it reminds me of the reissue model that came out this year with the center seconds, plus for a student budget it may be a bit of fun. Could I get a much better one for twice as much, maybe, but it's a decent enough deal.

Thank you guys for your insight!

I will check back in if I get it :)

padders likes this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 7, 2018

Hey for that money I would buy it. It'll never be hugely desirable but If it runs it could be a nice piece on the cheap. Just don't expect it to be waterproof any more.

7. seekingseaquest Dec 7, 2018

To clarify, my question was whether it’s rose gold capped or yellow gold capped.

I wouldn’t buy it at that price without seeing the movement. That dial damage is concerning to me.