Authentic??

Posts
13
Likes
2
Hey there. Been a while since I been here. Need some help authenticating a watch that a gentleman is trying to get rid of. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Edited:
 
Posts
3,281
Likes
9,863
Hey there, I think you need to take a look at the posting guide from the vintage Omega section, it has some good advice for posting requests like yours. good luck!
Vintage Omega Posting Guide | Omega Forums
Or you could google the serial number and see what comes up. Another possibility is to compare with pictures of known authentic watches on the net.
 
Posts
869
Likes
2,206
These pictures are no of the best quality, you would likely get more responses if you got some high quality pics. You should google the serial number as mentioned above, there are many PO fakes out there
 
Posts
792
Likes
919
It's real unless the fakers have figured out the free-sprung balance. To my knowledge, they haven't.
 
Posts
13
Likes
2
I appreciate you all getting back to me. This guy has no box or papers and claims it was passed down to him. I’ll see if he can send me more pics and I’ll post them. Where exactly is the serial number located? Sorry for my ignorance but I was a Rolex guy and really don’t know much about Omega. Thanks in advance.
 
Posts
4,042
Likes
8,750
It's real unless the fakers have figured out the free-sprung balance. To my knowledge, they haven't.

Yo watchdog, can you point out specifically what you mean by this and how to spot it for those of us who are still learning about omega watches? what is it about the balance wheel that you immediately note as likely legitimate?

Thank you.
 
Posts
6,609
Likes
26,776
Yo watchdog, can you point out specifically what you mean by this and how to spot it for those of us who are still learning about omega watches? what is it about the balance wheel that you immediately note as likely legitimate?

Thank you.
Top Real



Bottom Fake



The “free sprung balance” in the fake movement is purely just decoration and beyond that, serves no purpose. I guarantee there is no pivot in that jewel.
 
Posts
4,042
Likes
8,750
Top Real



Bottom Fake



The “free sprung balance” in the fake movement is purely just decoration and beyond that, serves no purpose. I guarantee there is no pivot in that jewel.

Thank you for sharing these images, scarecrow. I am going to have to do some additional reading on this topic!
 
Posts
13
Likes
2
You guys are awesome! Let me see what other info I can obtain and I’ll post it. $2500 is what he’s asking so not sure if this is a good deal if it’s real.
 
Posts
2,477
Likes
3,866
You guys are awesome! Let me see what other info I can obtain and I’ll post it. $2500 is what he’s asking so not sure if this is a good deal if it’s real.
They're going for $7k - $9k used with papers, retail is over $10k.

What's more likely is that the watch, if genuine which it seems to be, is stolen. The price is VERY unusual and the fact that it is a modern watch without box and the 3 cards is a huge red flag. Might also be a scam since you could easily get double that $2500 asking price from any trade-in offers from the likes of DavidSW, Crown and Caliber, Bernard Watches, Bob's Watches, etc etc.

Be very cautious. This one smells.
 
Posts
13
Likes
2
If I’m able to obtain the serial number can someone helps with the authenticity or is there a website that I could go to?
 
Posts
24,795
Likes
55,073
If I’m able to obtain the serial number can someone helps with the authenticity or is there a website that I could go to?

Don't waste any more time with this. The price is too good to be true. Just make an appointment to meet at an Omega dealer in person to authenticate the watch in person. Most likely, you will never hear from the seller again.
 
Posts
13
Likes
2
Yeah it sounds like it. I’ll pass on it. Thank You all for your advice!
 
Posts
30,172
Likes
77,910
If I’m able to obtain the serial number can someone helps with the authenticity or is there a website that I could go to?

Yes, I can...
 
Posts
4,042
Likes
8,750
If I’m able to obtain the serial number can someone helps with the authenticity or is there a website that I could go to?


@Archer already asked for the serial number, he's (from what I've observed) one of our resident serious experts and very helpful. May still be worth your time to provide the serial to him and see what turns up.

I agree, with the price this low something is a bit off, but might not hurt to figure out if it's fake or if there is another issue.
 
Posts
24,795
Likes
55,073
It's easy enough for a scammer to find photos of a legitimate watch, including a serial number. It's important to use common sense.
 
Posts
4,042
Likes
8,750
It's easy enough for a scammer to find photos of a legitimate watch, including a serial number. It's important to use common sense.

Strongly agree. It is, however, more difficult for them to fake those serial numbers in an actual meeting, or via some sort of video chat. I guess the inner detective in me just wants the data, but ultimately the low price and lack of papers/box is an automatic fail in my book.