Forums Latest Members
  1. knickerbockerr Apr 21, 2015

Hi, I am highly interested in this Vintage Omega but am relatively new to the game. This will be my first watch and I was wondering if I could get any input into the authenticity of this watch? I've input the reference number into the archive and learned that this watch is from 1956. According to the description, the watch is manual winding but if you look at the movement, there seems to be a missing arrow between the A and R. Will this significantly prevent the watch from working? Thank you for your help![​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 21, 2015

Hello and welcome. Congrats on checking out the omega vintage database to get the age of the watch.

I am concerned about the state of the movement. It looks dirty and maybe corroded. I'd look elsewhere. What sort of budget do you have?

3. John R Smith Apr 21, 2015

Beware this watch! The case and dial look to be correct for a ref 2900, but the movement is from the late 1940s and does not belong. It is also missing its regulator assembly and the case clamping screws. The crown is also incorrect.

4. knickerbockerr Apr 21, 2015

This watch bug has bitten me hard and reduced my productivity significantly so I really wanted to just close on a purchase. I am looking to spend at most $400 for a vintage Omega, particularly with the sharp hands like the one shown above. I am also a huge fan of cool tropical dials but that seems to come at a premium. I've looked at this particular 1953 Omega, but the dial makes me hesitant. The dial from this old Ebay listing makes the dial look quite dark yellow and dirty. [​IMG]
    It was re-listed, but the dial seems a paler yellow which I found acceptable. I am not quite sure if that is the result of lighting or if the seller had tried to lighten it via restoration of some sort. Opinions?

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 21, 2015

Second one is a dog too. Movement might be a bit cleaner but the dial (and that second hand) and case kill it. A parts watch only.

Keep looking and don't be afraid to post the auction links, there's more to buying a watch than one or two pictures.

And don't worry about being gazzumped, if it's a vintage Omega, most of us will already be on it and either bidding or watching if it's any good.:D

6. knickerbockerr Apr 21, 2015

How likely is it to buy a semi-decent vintage Omega with my budget (~$400)?

7. Drawarms Apr 21, 2015

Check out the forums private watches for sale section, great watches do pop up for around that price range! :thumbsup:

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 21, 2015

9. gnuyork Apr 21, 2015

The vintage Omega bug has bitten me hard too!! I seriously get nothing done, I am constantly searching and trying to learn.

My wife called me and my first purchase from France came in "a Fab Suisse" - a redial, so tsk tsk, but we'll see how it looks. Looked nice in the photos, but hard to tell for sure.

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 21, 2015