Forums Latest Members
  1. blubarb Oct 3, 2015

Is this an original J B Champion bracelet? I don't think I have seen this style of meshing before and not sure about the clasp.

$_57.JPG

2. Canuck Oct 3, 2015

Looks authentic to me. JB stands for Jacoby Bender. Are they still in business? The style of this bracelet looks very 60s to me. The deployant part of the buckle should be stamped with the J B logo. If it is, it is legit as well. Very much doubt it would be worth anyone's while to fake a bracelet.

Mad Dog likes this.
  3. blubarb Oct 3, 2015

Yes, agree, Canuck. I thought it might have been mis-described to be honest. I have always thought that they looked like this with square beads and a sliding clasp - perhaps these were the ones mostly worn in the 60s by Armstrong & Aldrin on their Speedies?

serveimage.jpg

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  4. Canuck Oct 3, 2015

Back in the day, Jacoby Bender (JB) were huge in the watch bracelet business. If you Google Jacoby Bender watch bracelets, you will find they were very diversified. They produced a huge range of goods over and above watch attachments. Jewellery, etc.

blubarb likes this.
  5. Tjmmartin Oct 3, 2015

Looks like a Forstner Komfit to me....ends not expandable. Could be wrong

6. TLIGuy Oct 3, 2015

It looks like a legit 60's era JB or Forstner bracelet. I would be curious as well if anything is stamped inside the clasp. I think this style of mesh is referred to as a basket weave. I think if you did a good Google search of JB or Forstner bracelets that you find many of them had a fixed width end piece like you have posted.

blubarb likes this.
  7. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Oct 3, 2015

I have a Very similar Omega mesh bracelet. My mesh has a bit of texture to it though. I looked up the end links 596-1 and found another one posted here. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

blubarb likes this.
  8. blubarb Oct 3, 2015

I've asked for some further description as to the stamping inside the clasp - I'll let you know.

9. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Oct 3, 2015

They are comfortable but not as robust as say the diver Omega mesh. I have to repair mine as it simply broke as I was standing. I felt a ping, reached down and caught it before it fell off!

10. blubarb Oct 3, 2015

Good catch!
    I had read somewhere that astronauts used them because of exactly that reason - there was less risk of being caught on something because the bracelets would easily pull apart in the event of a snag.

Giff2577 likes this.
  11. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Oct 3, 2015

I like this style of mesh bracelet but it is not associated with the space program. As @Canuck stated JB champion made many styles of bracelets.

blubarb likes this.
  12. blubarb Oct 3, 2015

Apologies. I should have said used J B Champion bracelets of the type seen in pics being worn by Armstrong, Aldrin, et al.

Giff2577 likes this.
  13. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 23, 2017

Well it looks like those steel mesh JB Champion bracelets don't break that easy after all... reassuring advice for those who wear it daily :unsure: