Forums Latest Members
  1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 4, 2013

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

You're looking at a bricks and mortar retail dealer, very different from eBay street price.

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 4, 2013

i was able to determine that they have physical storefront(s) based on the pictures of the stores. LoL, sorry.

they also have a well put together e-store (not the drug).

all I'm looking at is the selling prices - I don't really care how they sell 'em just that they do sell them at such high prices.

i never realized how disparate it was. I always assumed it was just +20% to +30%. I come from the hedge fund industry and I'm not used to such exaggerated price inefficiencies.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

Have a look at apple.com prices and compare them to apple.com.au prices, we call it the Australia tax.

citizenrich likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

Well to put it this way, of my watches I've bought two in Australia, the SS Daytona and SMPC.

All of the rest are from the USA Canada and Mexico

citizenrich likes this.
  6. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 4, 2013

Smart man. i noticed rolex had the least price delta probably because of how deep the market is for that brand, especially recent steel subs.

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 4, 2013

We seem to have only high end stores that sell top quality vintage watches at top prices
    Not too many middle or bottom range watch dealers

I have a good watch maker in Sydney that comes from 3 generations of watchmakers that does a great job

citizenrich likes this.
  8. Habitant Aug 4, 2013

"exaggerated price inefficiencies"? Sorry, but having a shop front presence isn't an "inefficiency," it's a physical place that people go to, to have relationships, conversations, get advice and engage with human beings. I have to say that your approach is patronising and slightly insulting. I don't work in a shop, don't own one either, but do understand why they exist. Prices in the Omega vintage boutique here in London are wild, in my opinion, but they're addressing a different need to yours. Or mine. Buying a vintage Omega from a reputable dealer may not appeal to you - or to the many experts on this forum - but they're a necessary component to the overall business model.

9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 4, 2013

you must think I'm pretty powerful to able to patronize an entire continent. Lol. No need to personally insult me but if it makes you feel better then have at it.

I appreciate and respect the business model of high end watch brand and other luxury goods. tiffany and tourneau are literally my next door neighbors and Ive bought lots of stuff from both places over the years. My first job on Wall Street was at boutique investment company. I love boutique.

my original post was an observation not a criticism. I'm sorry you took it the wrong way.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 4, 2013

It's not just BVW who think their watches are "rare and classic vintage minty nearly NOS"

Check out Unley Second Ahnd and another Adelaide dealer.

Why do you think my Aussie bought watches came from private dealers who didn't really know what they had.

If BVW and the like dropped their prices by say 30%, I'm sure they'd sell more.

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 4, 2013

And don't start me on cars, I had to pay $45K (on road cost) for a VW Golf GTI.

The rule here is, if you want, you pay!

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 4, 2013

HEDGE FUNDS
    Most disturbing of all is recent research that indicates that the aggregate data used to justify the performance of the industry is being systematically inflated

Link http://www.financialexpress.com/new...s-in-hedge-funds-returns-overestimated/899522

13. ulackfocus Aug 4, 2013

The only hedge I'd invest in is the ones used for landscaping...... and I'd get them at the discount garden center. :p Hopefully they'd show decent growth.

dsio and STANDY like this.
  14. Smirrors Aug 6, 2013

BVW have a Sydney store as well (SVW). Their prices are negotiable but not as far as 30%. I bought my Hesalite Sandwich Speedmaster from there and claimed GST at the airport on my honeymoon. Could I have saved a few hundred more on ebay? Definitely. But the extra piece of mind and "warranty" and getting my hands on it immediately, made up for it.

15. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 8, 2013

I kind of consider buying from B&M dealerships in Australia these days as a kind of investment in social welfare: you not only pay for personal attention, a guarantee, a percentage of the rent and overheads, but also contribute to the owners rehab bill, his wife's implants, the kids' school fees, the mistress's rent, the expensive imported marque as well as the cost of the watch!

Cheers

Desmond

alan davis, citizenrich and STANDY like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 8, 2013

I have several watches collected over several years but can not work out that extra feeling you get of having a brand spanking new out of the box
    watch.
    I know it can cost sometimes a extra few hundred or even more but my first Tag Monaco, Speedmaster Moon had to be brand new, could buy my next few watches without this, no issue. I even rate my new in box purchases more highly than some more expensive watches not purchased new.

Weird but ever few years i get the next watch Has To Be Brand Spanking

citizenrich likes this.
  17. seamonster Respectable Member Aug 8, 2013

Respectable Member mondodec

There is no denying, a fish rots from the head, down.

Thank-you.

18. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 8, 2013

LOL..... Thank-you for this edifying pearl of knowledge.

I shall never be able to look a fish in the eye with the same degree of confidence ever again :)

Regards

Desmond

PS SANDY. BNIB is one of life's little pleasures. NOSIB vintage is quite special too.

19. Trev The Architect Staff Member Aug 8, 2013

Yep, "new watch smell". ;)

citizenrich likes this.