Forums Latest Members
  1. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2015

In the USA it is still Australia Day
    Australia-Day-1.png page-78-d-trouble-brewing.jpg farside.jpg tumblr_lfps0fzUm61qbhfrso1_500.jpg

Australia Day is the official national day of Australia. Celebrated annually on 26 January, it marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet of British Ships at Port Jackson, New South Wales, and raising of the Flag of Great Britain at that site by Governor Arthur Phillip.

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2015

It's still Australia day in Australia if your in Western Australia.
    Sitting in Broome having another fermented vegetable drink after BBQing half a cow.

We do this most days but today we have a flag.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2015

A few more
    kangaroo-nerds.jpg FSboing.jpg FSjump.jpg

And of course no Australian can resist a big pair of pale pink wombats.

wombats7292-420x0.jpg

4. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 26, 2015

You are killing me...:)

Are you both Aussies?
    I worked as a bouncer in Kings Cross in 1985. Not a thing I use in my CV...
    There were so many Swedes there then Sydney were called Swedney.

blufinz52, cicindela and STANDY like this.
  5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jan 26, 2015

Did you ever get to meet Abe Saffron?

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2015

I am but @cicindela is getting square. :whistling:

Don't forget Barramundi, the size of horses ( over a meter they call it the saddle club)
    image.jpg

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2015

Damn dude that's up there with serving in a war zone, especially in the 80s

watchyouwant and STANDY like this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2015

She was a hard place in those days.Masons Hotel on the corner near the coke sign !

watchyouwant likes this.
  9. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 26, 2015

Not to my knowledge. Do not think he was bothered with us working the door.

STANDY likes this.
  10. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 26, 2015

Yes, it is not anything I would recommend anyone. I was cut once and a lot of bruises. I worked the Rex (not far from the fountain) and a place called, if i remember correctly, "the bottoms up bar". It was a "hard" gaybar. Nothing feminine about that place - I can assure you. We were three bouncers there - a big Samoan, a black American guy and me.

Had to leave Kings Cross in a hurry in the end. I was naive and did not understand that the pushers had the same boss as me. One night I took my job too seriously and that resulted in a note on the door to my appartement - "you better leave Kings Cross"...Signed by the manager. I phoned one of my collegues and he just said... "Do not pack anything - just go". Spent a couple of weeks out in a national park camping and then had a friend pack my stuff. Got it sent to me on another adress and that was it. Never been back. The manager was later shot at close range with a shotgun in his office (not that this had anything to do with me - just a sign of the time and place).

This was many years ago and I would not have it undone but as I wrote earlier - it is nothing I would recommend to anyone. I was young, naive and/but had a top class military education and had been training wrestling and kick boxing since childhood. That saved me during the daily bouncer "things". The organized crime you cannot fight whatever your skills are though.

Went home - went to university and have not ventured into anything like this since then (even if I worked the door while going to university - bouncing students in a small town in Sweden is a totally different thing).

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2015

The position of "OmegaForums Bouncer is open at this time if you are interested. You provide security at the Gold Coast Headquarters and during travel. Pay is a 5% discount on watch books and you get to have the title of ΩF Enforcer under your name :)

12. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 26, 2015

I proudly accept your offer! As long as you are aware of me, today, being 50 and an old, fat, slow geezer...
    First time I get to have a title (at a website) - can I tease STANDY with this one (him being a just a Woffler and all)?
    ::bleh::::bleh::;)

Edited Jan 26, 2015
    cicindela and STANDY like this.
  13. timjohn Jan 26, 2015

I used to work in the kitchen at the Sebel Town House in the 80s -- once watched a guy get stabbed in the street as I came off a nightshift. King's X is a shadow of its former self today, but that is probably a good thing.

I'm relocating to Australia tonight, taking my collection with me. Can anyone recommend a good watchmaker who can handle Universal complications and the odd Heuer/JLC/Rolex from the 1950s and 60s in Sydney?

Many thanks

Tim

14. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jan 27, 2015

'Straya, where we love music, like Midnight Oil and AcDc and choose to call the hardest fighting, shittest tasting fish in our Southern waters the 'drummer'
    [​IMG]

Also the place where I was chased while on foot by a machete wielding, V8 driving maniac shouting 'stop, or ill kill you' needless to say I didnt stop running ... and that was Adelaide, never mind Kings Cross

cicindela likes this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 27, 2015

I celebrated Australia Day by sleeping in until 09:00.
    Got up and had Vegemite on toast and a coffee for brekky.
    Spent most of the morning in my workshop (garage actually) resorting an 1889 American Ansonia clock.
    Had lunch on the patio. A ham, matured cheese and mustard mayo on rye sandwich washed down with a stubbie of Coopers Pale Ale.
    Back to checking clock bits and listening to Tchiakovsky, Beethoven and Sibelius.
    Dinner was Australian lamb, leek and thyme sausages fresh from the barbie with fresh local salad, accompanied by a New Zealand Oyster Bay Pinot Noir.
    A nightcap?
    A wee dram of Glenfiddich Gran Reserva 25YO.
    Most of the time spent with my Darlin' (except for workshop bits).
    Doesn't get much better than that.

Cheers

Jim

16. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 27, 2015

Sounds great Jim, may every day be so blessed :thumbsup:

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2015

He was probably just asking for directions vigorously

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 27, 2015

A Swede gets a title on a Australia Day thread for telling a story about running away. Well done mate..:thumbsup:

Your new avatar
    image.jpg

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2015

My Gawd Jim, you sound like a Scotsman!!

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 27, 2015

Well, my ancestry is a wee bit of Irish, a wee bit of English, and a wee bit of German, but unfortunately, no Scot that I know of (Grandma, any secrets??)

I visited Scotland on holidays twice and I'm just in awe of that little country, but having no ancestral roots from there, the closest I can do to having some Scotch in me is to imbibe in a wee dram :D