Forums Latest Members
  1. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 6, 2015

I really hope that Zenith monitor this forum because I would like to express my sincere thanks to two members of the LVMH team in the UK.

You may remember that I bought a "Big Orange" at the back end of last year that had a big gouge out of the crystal but, otherwise, was in beautiful condition. I got in contact with Tony in the parts department and he was able to source a replacement crystal from HQ. Now this crystal is very special because it has the minute chapter applied to the back of it in the same way that a Speedmaster Mk II (and others) has the tachymetre ring applied. I had originally intended to ask a local optician to re-grind the crystal but the minute chapter had stuck to the gasket and, sickeningly, some of it peeled off when I removed the crystal. This could have been a labour of love if I had to find someone to make a (some) new transfers (decals) AND had the crystal re-ground.

Any way, to cut a long story short, Tony managed to source a replacement for me and judging by the colour, it hadn't been sitting in a drawer for 45 years. Unfortunately, as I'm not in "The Trade", he couldn't send me the crystal to fit myself so I sent the case to LVMH's service centre in Manchester for them to fit it. This is where Stuart, the "Brand Concierge" comes in. He called me to say that they had received the case and kept me informed througoht the entire process.

So, to Zenith, I say that you have got some exceptional people working for you - chapeau.

For you lot, who can't think without pictures, I have now completed the first phase of servicing the watch. All that remains is to wear it for a while and re-adjust it to suit my activities. So here it is:

As it came back from Manchester, along with the old crystal:
    New Crystal.jpg

....and after I have serviced the movement - I know the date is wrong, but I need to run it and re-adjust it.
    Aurantiaco Maximus.jpg

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 6, 2015

Looks great Stuart!

I hope Omega is listening and takes a lesson.. doubt it, but one can wish.

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 6, 2015

I'm happy with the outcome. It didn't cost me much more and it's not like I could have replaced it with a generic crystal. As far as I can tell, it wasn't produced in huge numbers and whilst the movement is a common 2542 PC, the only other special part that is special is the cannon pinion, in a height that is otherwise unavailable. I had to tighten that and that was definitely a case of baby steps - tap gently, try; tap gently, try again etc.

RawArcher likes this.
  4. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Apr 6, 2015

That's an awesome looking watch! Great upgrade with the new crystal!

5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Apr 6, 2015

Not going to call dibs since its going to be a keeper. Your post gives me a little more confidence if I need to send a watch back to the mothership. :thumbsup: