Forums Latest Members

Audermars Piguet information/value?

1. Tbone Mar 30, 2017

I don't know much about AP watches. Even less on dress watches. A friend of mine has a relative who purchased this new in Paris in the 80's. Here are the details and some pictures. Solid gold dress watches aren't "my thing" but it is extremely handsome.
    Does anyone have an idea of what the value might be? Thanks!

-Audemars Piguet 18k yellow gold automatic mens watch. B33139 referenced on back case. Model 4084BA.
    -Sparkly Champagne dial with stick time markers. Woven/braided mesh bezel and strap.
    -Purchased in Paris in 1980s (exact year not recalled).
    -31mm width (excluding crown), 35mm length. Could be worn by either gender.
    -Length of piece: 7.5 inches. 2 extra links included.
    -Condition is excellent. Keeps good time. Blemishes on top and bottom of the dial, probably resulting from humidity (owner resides in Honolulu).
    -Original Audemars Piguet green velvet pouch included. Original papers not found.
    -Insurance appraisal from 1987 valued watch at $13,500 (copy included).

DSCN1815.JPG

DSCN1827.JPG DSCN1831.JPG DSCN1822.JPG DSCN1818.JPG DSCN1825.JPG

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 30, 2017

Though the gold will always have value, neither that style, nor the small size are popular amongst most collectors. So the value of the watch will be limited to only a small fraction of the (phony) appraisal.

3. Dogmann Mar 31, 2017

Hi Tbone
    As already mentioned by Tony C it really is a question of finding someone that wants to buy it as although it really does have some great quality there in the craftsmanship of the bracelet and watch it's just not really an in demand style of watch. I had an AP that was also solid gold on a solid gold woven bracelet that was my fathers and it also had suffered some dial degradation and even worse was a quartz. The cost of a service was going to be high and it was not going to be economically viable to even try to resize the bracelet either which meant I really had no choice other than to move it on. I had very little interest from any of the watch dealers I contacted and the offers I did get were laughable the only way to get any value out of it was to sell it for the scrap value of the gold which was considerably more than any dealers offer. I did find it more than a little upsetting that all the great workmanship that had gone into making what was once a very elegant and classy gold dress watch was going to be destroyed. But there was no point in keeping what I couldn't wear and would of cost to much to service for no real gain so as much as it hurt I sold it for scrap and moved on. Also I don't understand how yours has 2 extra links as the bracelet is woven I can only think somehow they were removed when bought new as that was the problem with trying to resize the one I had but if nothing else at least it means there is some extra gold weight to add to the deal.

Marc

4. M.C.B1974 Mar 31, 2017

Hi,
    Very nice watch, I'm not sure of the value of your watch or if you are planning on selling it. If you decide to sell please do not scrap it for gold, I completely understand what has been said about the watch, it maybe worth more to sell for gold content and much easy to sell. I believe you have a great time piece made by a fine watchmaking company, I think there would be someone who would greatly appreciate such a fine watch.

Two watches very similar to yours has sold on eBay.
    1) 18k white gold, automatic with date. Item # 322419617784
    2) 18k yellow gold like yours with a diamond dial. Item # 252707050845
    This may help with getting a rough value on your watch.
    Best regards