Forums Latest Members

Audemars Piguet Classic (Porcelain Dial?)

1. hermes4 Jan 1, 2017

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and to the world of watch collecting. I'm thinking of getting a dress watch as I don't have one...

I came across this piece, can anyone comment... it doesn't have box and papers so I have to be extra cautious?

I have asked to see the movement as well... I am not familiar with AP but the proportion and size of the numerals are different from other 'classics' I have been looking at...

Happy New Year!!

https://www.chrono24.com/en/audemar...m=app&utm_source=ios-app&utm_campaign=sharing

2. jurisevac@ Jan 1, 2017

Best regards to you, this is a great watch, and true dress watch, and caliber 2120 is top class, priced for less than $3000 in Poland,whit little more efforts and price reduction this is good deal.

hermes4 likes this.
  3. rolokr Jan 1, 2017

4. rolokr Jan 1, 2017

Very nice watch but it is only 33 mm. I have a few 33 mm, but they look like women's watches to me, so in my opinion go more then 33 mm.

hermes4 likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2017

It's correct except for maybe the crown (I think they had cabochon / jeweled crowns or small logo crowns in 1990), and a nice price. The lugs and logo buckle are a little more polished than most collectors would like to see, but that's not terrible.

6. hermes4 Jan 1, 2017

Thanks guys...! I'm quite excited as this will be the first expensive watch that I will be purchasing on my own...

I was just worried because the Roman numerals are slightly bigger and less spaced out than other models... in comparison to:
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/audemar...m=app&utm_source=ios-app&utm_campaign=sharing

Is it worth paying an extra £1000 for a sapphire glass back casing so I can see the movement? The dial looks different compared to the first one... is it because it is a porcelain dial..?

Well the other option is to get a Vacheron of the same design... as you can see here
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/vachero...m=app&utm_source=ios-app&utm_campaign=sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. hermes4 Jan 1, 2017

Yes I've looked quite a bit and most of it come in 33 mm... and falls within my price range, so I will take settle for a 33mm - and maybe get a bigger watch when I'm older and wiser! Hehe.

8. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2017

The VC has the wrong crown (is that a Zenith symbol?) and no logo buckle.

There's nothing wrong with paying extra for the sapphire caseback if YOU LIKE IT. :thumbsup:

There's also nothing wrong with 33 mm if you have a smaller (i.e. less than 7") wrist. Forgive my generalization, but if that's you in your avatar picture I'd bet your wrist is under 7" so this will wear well for you.

9. jurisevac@ Jan 1, 2017

My solution for this post is IWC Da Vinci 1850, caliber 8541,nice.

10. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2017

Thanks for that.

blink.gif
  11. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2017

@hermes4 - AP has made the Classique line in manual and automatic in the same dial configuration for a very long time. Here's my 1969 caliber 2003:

IMG_4896-1.jpg
    IMG_4635-1.jpg

I have the same caliber 2120 inside a 1971 white gold reference 5279:

IMG_6059-1.jpg
    IMG_4387-1.jpg

Jwit, George.A and hermes4 like this.
  12. hermes4 Jan 1, 2017

Yes! I was confused why there was a Zenith crown on it! Something fishy there!! I'm not sure what my wrist size is but it has shrunk over the years and my speedy looks too big on it nowadays - and I had to get the links readjusted...

Do you think an AP or a VC will be nicer for everyday wear, switching between my Rolex Oyster Datejust... The VC is so elegant, minimalist and slim :) although the white gold automatic (link below) is so expensive!!

And no - I don't think I like the IWC it's too thick! And I will only settle with the holy trinity for a dress watch for now :p

The PP is beyond my budget...

I think the sapphire glass back is just a gimmick because I'll be wearing the watch most of the time and not admiring its movement hahaha... although it'd be nice to show of the K2120 movement off once in a while.

Also - I've seen the movements and the look authentic - do I need to request serial numbers or anything else..? I'm sure thinking of going ahead with this... any more precautions or advice? :)

If the deal falls through I secretly want that blue dial WG VC...

There's another VCs I have been eyeing:
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/vachero...m=app&utm_source=ios-app&utm_campaign=sharing

Or

13. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2017

hermes4 likes this.
  14. hermes4 Jan 1, 2017

Thanks for the heads up! I'll stick to the first one :)

Nice watches you have there...

Watch hunting is such a good way to procrastinate when I have better things to do!

Hope I get the first one then... I initially wanted to get a vintage chronograph(1950 -1960) by Universal/Zenith/Jaeger but I found this AP... and now I'm infatuated by those sleek lines and symmetry on the dial and the slender elegance of the casing!

15. hermes4 Jan 1, 2017

Just got the pictures of the movement and the casing...

Are they legit..?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2017

:thumbsup: Go for it.

Jwit, hermes4 and dougiedude like this.
  17. hermes4 Jan 1, 2017

Thanks @ulackfocus - nice to have some reassurance!

The world is full of trickery and I'm still learning... hope to learn from everyone on this forum!

18. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2017

Just remember to ask BEFORE you buy and we'll never steer you wrong.

hermes4 likes this.
  19. DTMwatch Jan 13, 2017

It looks like a beautiful watch. I hope you get it and enjoy it for many years. It is a timeless design, a true classic.

hermes4 likes this.
  20. hermes4 Jan 13, 2017

Thanks it has arrived, I'm struggling to appreciate its beauty and elegance! Maybe time will tell!