Forums Latest Members

Auctions - when is it ok to discuss?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 28, 2019

I recently opened a thread for a general discussion of a watch that was coming up for auction at a small auction house. My intentions were honourable and the discussion was by way of general interest with no substantive objective I.e not to discuss authenticity or provenance etc. and I had no involvement in either buying or selling

Anyway to cut a long story short the subject of the thread inadvertently got widened to question the validity of the discussion itself and whether it was right in general to discuss items appearing at auction before they are sold and thus increase awareness and/or possibly affect the price. Especially if it was a smaller auction house and may have otherwise gone unnoticed or less noticed.

Before the thread was deleted there were several conflicting opinions stated both ways and I also had various private messages. It became clear to me and others who commented that the discussion was a valuable debate that ought to be available to forum members for there consideration and maybe reference in the future.

So hence I have opened this thread with no ulterior motive other than an interest in opinions and some possible guidance.

There may be other questions that this raises but my own questions to start the ball rolling are below

1. Do you think it is ok generally to discuss auction pieces pre-sale?

2. Is your answer to Q1 conditional on the size or location of the auction or selling site. I.e a small auction compared to a major international event?

3. Is your answer to Q1 conditional on the reason for the discussion I.e maybe it is ok if it is questioning provenance or authenticity but not just for idle chatter?

4. Do you believe auction discussions greatly affect the final price? Either way

5. Is it unfair to highlight an auction lot to the forum community that may have otherwise gone relatively unnoticed by the majority...but not all?

Please let me know your thoughts

hungdangnguyen23 likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 28, 2019

My guess is the thread was removed for a different reason. There is no prohibition against discussing any auction.

Did you get accused of being the owner of the watch by chance?

3. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 28, 2019

Auctions have been discussed numerous times in the few years I’ve been here. I think it’s a perfectly valid thing to do.
    Someone might get upset that it called attention to something they were hoping would go under the radar, but I think people who are in the hunt will know where to look anyway.

4. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 28, 2019

Not at all. The thread was removed for a different reason you are right but not what you think and not really very relevant to the larger discussion. as I said I would just like peoples thoughts in general

5. jimmyd13 Jan 28, 2019

It's perfectly fine to discuss any watch offered for sale anywhere. I've had people discuss ones I've offered for sale ... which, genuinely, was fun to read. I have also asked advice on watches that were coming to auction, in the full knowledge that I would increase the chances of others seeing the watch and bidding against me.

When people have posted about forthcoming auctions that I know I will view, I have offered to take photos and give a condition report. Again, even where I have an interest in the piece. I've been lucky enough to have OF members return the courtesy.

As I said to an auctioneer before Christmas, all someone has to do to buy a watch is pay more than I will (in that case, some b****** on the Internet did).

6. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 28, 2019

Thanks for the feedback but I know some people feel may feel differently hence the thread. It will be interesting to hear all the different opinions.

7. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 28, 2019

Many thanks for the feedback and taking time to respond. I know not all will agree but to have all the various opinions in one place may prove useful

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 28, 2019

!. Absolutely, its one of the benefits of this forum
    2. No
    3.No
    4. I hope so
    5. Unfair to whom?

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 28, 2019

Some feel that calling attn to an auction attracts more bidders and drives up the price. I would argue that with the things like Watch Recon, Instagram etc ...this is a pointless concern. If you want to avoid angst, just post pics of the piece, provide your pov and solicit opinions as to its +/- conditions.

10. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 28, 2019

Hi and thanks for responding

5. - to someone who may have spotted it and hoped no-one else had I guess

Edited Jan 28, 2019
  11. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 28, 2019

Thanks for the feedback Larry, good advice

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 28, 2019

Then your original question is moot. The forum allows it, if not condones discussions like that. Maybe it’s my bias as to how this forum works but I don’t see anyone here having any issue about any watch for sale. Granted thier is some etiquette on watches posted here for sale...

Now I’m curious what deemed removal instead of locking.

airansun and Gav1967 like this.
  13. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 28, 2019

I believe a seller has a natural right to receive the best price possible price for any item they sell.

As long as all parties behave in an ethical manner, I don’t see how this could possibly be a debatable issue.

14. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 28, 2019

Thanks for the feedback

15. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 28, 2019

Interesting point of view Rich which I know some will share but not all.
    Thanks for taking the time

citizenrich likes this.
  16. E-diddy Jan 28, 2019

1. Do you think it is ok generally to discuss auction pieces pre-sale? Yes, that's why we come to OF. To share and the learn. Members should be respectful of course.

2. Is your answer to Q1 conditional on the size or location of the auction or selling site. I.e a small auction compared to a major international event? No

3. Is your answer to Q1 conditional on the reason for the discussion I.e maybe it is ok if it is questioning provenance or authenticity but not just for idle chatter? No.

4. Do you believe auction discussions greatly affect the final price? Either way
    It's possible. I've seen pieces get pulled because knowledgeable members highlighted issues (not reported by the auctioneer). I seen pieces get a lot of bidding attention.

5. Is it unfair to highlight an auction lot to the forum community that may have otherwise gone relatively unnoticed by the majority...but not all?
    No, same response as #1. Speaking for myself - I would prefer a piece i'm bidding on go under the radar. Not unfair if someone brings it up though.

My two cents.

Larry S and citizenrich like this.
  17. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 28, 2019

Great feedback E-diddy and certainly among the consensus so far. I’m sure there will be some contrary view points

Spacefruit and citizenrich like this.
  18. Edward53 Jan 28, 2019

I think the OP is asking a valid question. Personally, I am conflicted about drawing attention to items that may have otherwise flown under the radar. I will admit to having posted links on Recommended Vintage Omegas on ebay and subsequently wondered if I've helped drive up the price. Not always though - if watches are listed with clear descriptions and good photos and have already obviously been "seen", or if it's a BIN that's been around for a couple of days, I have no qualms about that. Now, however, if something's got poor photos, is misdescribed, obscurely listed or has merits which might not be obvious at first, I won't comment.

As I've previously pointed out on this forum, a LOT of non-members are always looking in - just look at the proportion of guests to members online and you'll see what I mean. I did the same myself before I joined. Why should those viewers, who've contributed nothing, piggyback off forum knowledge at the expense of folks who've done years of painstaking research?

Others can do whatever they want. That's my position.

citizenrich and Gav1967 like this.
  19. w154 Jan 28, 2019

mmmm....

Do you really believe that in all cases ? It’s a pretty obvious position regarding private sellers who have made an effort, but at the other end of the spectrum how about resellers. Does the pawn shop owner who bought a 2915 for $1000 deserve $100,000 if he sells it without researching at all ? I’d absolutely say no.

yako54 and Gav1967 like this.
  20. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 28, 2019

Thanks Edward and interesting to hear from someone viewing from a slightly different angle. Certainly adds to the discussion. cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.