Forums Latest Members

Auctioned Speedy - dial looks very patinated for its age

1. ewand May 11, 2016

I saw this watch up for auction - http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...0046/lot-6a8ff7dc-bc84-4494-8dda-a5fd00fa6faa - it went under the hammer last night for £1400 (I think - it might have gone a bit higher but I'd long tuned out by then).
    upload_2016-5-11_8-7-35.png
    Now, a bit of MWO sleuthery makes me think the dial is C3 (77-90) and the bezel is B5 (95-2004). For a relatively recent dial, it does seem very patinated - could that have been treated to look so aged?

At first, I quite liked the look of it, but on seeing what is presumably a later replacement bezel and the slightly beaten up look of the case, figured it would only be of interest if selling for a song.

Edited May 11, 2016
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 11, 2016

How the new owner might feel:

image.jpeg

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 11, 2016

The thing about these things, is that if you start with a pile of bits, all you will end up with is a better, more expensive pile of bits.

We have a watch of indeterminate age, with a patinated dial - patinated to algae so not desireable, superluminova hands that have also degraded, a modern bezel, a beaten up case and a movement that needs a full service, judging from the position of the subdial hour hand, and indeed the rest of the watch.

So £1400 (if that's right, couldn't find the final price) plus 23% (because none of us are going to Plymouth, they would charge an extra 3% for online bidding). So just under $2500.

Then a service, a replacement (DN90) bezel, and some tritium hands will cost around $1000 altogether if you are skilled at finding these things and have a watchmaker to do it.

I think I agree that it is a post 1974 watch, based on the lack of step on the dial.

So for $3500 the new owner will have a dirty looking late vintage beaten up speedmaster with (possibly) miss matched parts.

I don't think it was a bargain.

Staying in bed was the smart option

Traveler likes this.
  4. ewand May 11, 2016

So, you don't like it then, William? ;)

I honestly wonder if any decent, unadulterated watches come up through these auctions, that don't end up going for silly money. It goes to show that the best way to buy a vintage Speedmaster or two, is to find some trusted sellers on OF ::book::

5. axl911 May 11, 2016

It is most likely a 77-90 watch. There are some dings in the case, and most importantly, it has the earlier crown. Bracelet is not the later type too.

6. axl911 May 11, 2016

Don't know what is the deal with patinated lumes. While the creamy and lightly brown are pleasing, the ugly brown and blacks are just plain UGLY! Who would want those???