Forums Latest Members

Auction: Tudor "Home Plate" Black 1971

1. Onion0909 Jul 26, 2019

Hello all,

Not sure this is the right place for this for a post like this...but came across the below on an auction site. In full disclosure I have no idea what these are worth, and am by no means affiliated with the Blackwell site...just thought if theres any big time collectors here looking for something like this then maybe this could he useful. It starts at 25k, and live bidding begins August 10.
    250_2.JPG 250_1.JPG 250_9.jpg 250_5.JPG
    https://auctions.blackwellauctions.com/lots/view/1-23AKN0/tudor-rolex-monte-carlo-black-dial

If this is something that people have a problem with please let me know I hardly know what I don't know at this point, much less the world of Rolex/Tudor rarities. The constructive criticism on here is one of the huge reasons I love this place!!

Let me know if you have any questions...but if they're about this watch I probably cant help!!

Mark

2. stahlmotte Jul 26, 2019

Lol...:thumbsup:

Civic4982 likes this.
  3. Civic4982 Jul 26, 2019

Pass... I’ve not followed the market on black home plate dials but gray ones asking price about half this auction house starting bid.

Thank you though for bringing it up. It’s always nice to find new auction sites.

4. pongster Jul 28, 2019

25K? In USD?

5. jhross98 Jul 28, 2019

black home plate dial does NOT equal gray home plate dial guys

https://www.phillips.com/detail/TUDOR/NY080117/11

that said, i believe a pro told me most of the black ones are put together but that is really secondhand gossip i don't remember specific and i am not an expert on these

6. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2019

These are worth quite a lot. The auction is realistic. The gray ones are worth at least the starting bid of this one.

7. ICONO Jul 28, 2019

Orchi_Palar …the benevolent lunatic, well known within the Rolex Forums …claims firmly, that these Tudor ‘Monte Carlo’ Black “home plate” 7031 / 7032 dials, are complete fakes

He believes, they originate 7 years ago, via a Dallas watch fair

I have seen no evidence, from Tudor that they are authentic

GuiltunderGlass and KingCrouchy like this.
  8. jhross98 Jul 28, 2019

he is a lunatic and i'm not sure so benevolent. . but i heard the same thing from another source

9. ICONO Jul 28, 2019

Orchi certainly enjoys picking fights, and is fearless …He has just taken on, the might of the French Rolex Dealers ‘Mafia’ …

But he is also kind, and generous with his personal time, to advise and guide

10. diverwatch May 30, 2022

I saw this thread only yesterday May 29, 2022 and perhaps my own experience can contribute the the understanding of the Tudor Home Plate "Black dial" 1971. Reading through posts referring to the first Chrono that Tudor put together some people might find my story conflicts with suppositions made by "experts". My story starts in 1973. I was a young guy learning scuba-diving. I started looking for a diver's watch and found one at the Hudson's Bay department store in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I didn't like the aluminum bezel on the Tudor 7031 because I didn't think it would hold up over the years. I preferred the stainless steel bezel firmly fixed on what I now know to be the Tudor 7032 for its robustness. I also wanted a stop-watch feature even though a diver probably wouldn't need it and certainly could not use it unless the pushers were unscrewed. For diving purposes the bezel should have been calibrated in minutes rather than tachymeter numbers. What did I know? I was only a kid. I bought the Tudor for $275 and later had a ROLEX stainless steel band put on because the Tudor band was forever popping open when I was racing my bike. Exchanged the bracelet where I bought the watch, getting a credit for the Tudor band although I needed to pay a bit more for the more comfortable ROLEX wrist band. I used the stopwatch function in my job at a television studio over the years. The watch was sent away to Rolex Canada in Toronto to be regulated before the warranty period expired, 12 months from July 1973. After that, it was never serviced for the time I owned it because it ran perfectly. I had a lost pusher replaced in 2020 (not an exact match but a local watchmaker found a Rolex Mk I pusher from a Daytona) and some new seals were installed before I auctioned it at Phillips in 2020. It fetched me $103,000 (Canadian) when all was said and done and of course the auction house adds the buyer premium to the auction price when it publishes its sale price which at the time was in the US$118, 000 area. I hope this clarifies some history for enthusiasts... the black dial 7032 is in fact a reality. If anyone has a question, feel free to reply. Before I sold it, I tested the luminous paint and it still glowed weakly. Cheers, Greg Novik.

Instagram post!.jpg Rolex coronet.jpg greg's photo.jpg Tudor shipped.jpg Tudor Chrono lot 90.jpg Tudor case back.jpg
    Walrus and FREDMAYCOIN like this.
  11. diverwatch May 30, 2022

Thank you for your post. It stimulated me to write up the history of my own 7032 black dial (which I've posted). For many years my chrono lay in my sock drawer. I had worn it daily since purchasing it in 1973 but other watch purchases had me using it on special occasions only. Then in 2020 I thought of wearing it daily again though it needed some repairs. Since I didn't know where to find a watch maker, I even had to learn what a "pusher" was because I just thought of it as a secondary crown. I learned what a calibre was, what my watch was called (Tudor Montecarlo, "Home Plate") I began learning about watches via forums, news articles, on line auctions and at some point found an article referring to my watch as one person's "Holy Grail" of Tudors. I had a series of adventures trying to find parts, and the expertise of a brilliant watchmaker who understood the value of leaving it the way it was and not restoring it. But that brought another conundrum. Do I even dare wear it? I didn't want to damage it in any way nor have it stolen. So after inquiring at several international auction houses and with local collectors it went on to a new owner (that would be number 2!) somewhere in the UK after the Phillips "Racing Time" auction in December 2020.

12. JanV May 31, 2022

Maybe posting pictures of you wearing the watch, from the 80´s or 90´s would help making your point of its authenticity, now as the above watch may be questioned by some here on the forum.

jaguar11 likes this.
  13. teojjsg May 31, 2022

Wow! The Black Home Plate is USD118K???

Eh... my tropical brown home plate might be worth USD40K? Since could be lesser qty around? In fact I have not seen another tropical brown. Save for one which is brown on the sub dials and perimeter ring...

14. diverwatch May 31, 2022

Thank you for that advice. I will do that. Here are a few beginning in 1978 on various travels, through the U.S. and Canada. There was a period when I used other watches and put the Tudor away in my drawer for quite a long time. So the last photo is from about 1989 approximately.

Caravan Dining.jpg Ferry to Vancouver Is 1980s.jpg My Tudor 1980s.jpg Tofino 1980s.jpg tudor and I 2.jpg
    Walrus, JanV, CPRwatch and 2 others like this.
  15. teojjsg May 31, 2022

Very nice!!!

Considering it has been worn so frequently, it's in stella condition when auctioned off. Have you ever regretted selling it?

16. diverwatch May 31, 2022

Absolutely! But here were some of my considerations: If I kept it and wore it, would it get damaged by shock or water? I got nervous when I found out how rare it was and thought it might become a target for thieves. I also am not a watch collector and someone else might appreciate the rarity, the quality, and the beauty of this watch also. I think there might only be a handful like this in the world, from what I read.

17. teojjsg May 31, 2022

Oic. Since you are not into watch collecting, yes, it makes sense to put the good money into something else! Just for memories sake, maybe you can buy one of the modern Tudor remake and wear the hell out of it again!

Best wishes my friend. Amazing story and history to that rare watch!

18. Traveler May 31, 2022

Fantastic post and story from the OP - serves as a reminder that sometimes so called ‘experts’ don’t really know what they are talking about. I stopped reading / following Orchi some time ago, as his online persona became increasingly unhinged, but sometimes those that loudly give out negativity become somewhat revered - here is proof that you should be prepared to always learn something new, and that constantly throwing shade does not necessarily translate to legitimacy.

cvalue13 likes this.
  19. Traveler Jun 3, 2022

Just saw this one on The Keystone

4F475BE0-F090-4147-847E-249B44B81B14.jpeg

20. ALEJANDRO BOVONE Jun 10, 2022

gray version tended to bubble, I understand black paint did not have this issue?