Forums Latest Members
  1. Hvacman Jun 4, 2014

Really like the new Auction section that is in Beta testing.
    I "Won" one of the featured watches:cool:
    I Searched for a thread were forum members could add suggestions or comments on what features they would like to have considered while still in Beta testing but could not find one.

One feature that I think would be helpful is a way for members to post comments on a featured auction item that would be linked right to the item in one place for easy review. Comments on originality, condition, possible issues, rarity, etc. etc..

This would help those considering bidding on an item decide whether or not to do so and help them establish a value.

just mho :)

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 5, 2014

Although that sort of open forum discussion would tend to increase competition and prices for many of the auctions...lurkers lie everywhere !

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jun 5, 2014

I've seen this issue raised on other forums too. There's often a concern about auctions being "discovered".

As one option, we could easily make the entire /auctions section only visible to members, or those with certain "likes", post-count, etc. Is that an approach we'd want to take?

I personally favour a more open site, which includes transparency in sorting out the ok/good/great auctions, even if it means they end up bumped a little higher in the end. Perhaps it could become more of an issue as ΩF grows larger.

That's a great idea. We've been discussing similar tie-ins to achieve tighter interaction between recommended-auctions and the rest of ΩF. Right now it still feels a bit disjointed.

The following additions or fixes will be rolled out very soon:
    - Ability for any nominated members/experts to contribute auction suggestions (in the beta this is being done manually).
    - Fixed progress bars for buy-it-now auctions
    - Fixed "added-by" labels being reset in certain circumstances when Ebay returns unexpected replies
    - A section for all archived auctions saving their final value and other stats

This will continue to evolve based heavily on member feedback/opinion, so now's your chance to be heard :)

4. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jun 5, 2014

>>As one option, we could easily make the entire /auctions
    >>section only visible to members, or those with certain "likes",
    >>post-count, etc. Is that an approach we'd want to take?

BOOL(TRUE);

5. Mothra Jun 5, 2014

I'm in favour of the open approach.... love the idea of a searchable archive of recommended auctions and their end prices....

6. CoupDeFoudre Jun 5, 2014

Just started commenting here so I may have to wait if a post-count requirement comes in, but I like the idea of rewarding active membership

Hvacman likes this.
  7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 5, 2014

I like rewarding the active forum members, too. Even if my "contribution" is more take than give!

Hvacman and UncleBuck like this.
  8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 5, 2014

My brother, we have 2% feeding us 98%.
    The funny part is that they are just as happy about it as we are!

CoupDeFoudre likes this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 5, 2014

Too true!

http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-cloisonnÉ-enamel-vintage-watch-question.13543/

BOT

Also the fear of an item becoming "too visible and attractive" through open discussion may be unfounded.

I think the majority of serious hunters here know exactly what to look for and where to find it so will already be on it.

But there's always the possibility that one's review of the auction page could pique interest in an otherwise unconsidered model or marque :D

10. Hvacman Jun 6, 2014

I have seen voting posts on other forums.
    might be interesting to see a tally from the members on whether it should be fully open or only accessible to members with a certain # of votes (say 110 or so).
    not that OF is necessarily a Democracy ;)

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 6, 2014

Trouble with that is, much like the G20 group, or G8, or now G7 group of nations, everyone wants to belong to the smallest and most exclusive group possible that includes them ;)

blackwatch likes this.
  12. Hvacman Jun 6, 2014

Hmmmmm...........is that bad?:thumbsdown:

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 6, 2014

Personally, I am also not sure about what restrictions if any should be placed on this new auction feature. I will say though is it bothers me a bit that some educated omega enthusiasts just lurk here without contributing to the forum discussions - sort of like huge US firms keeping a lot of their profits in low tax jurisdiction areas even though they benefit from the consumer base and legal protections that the US offers. I will also add that I think this forum has routinely bumped up the prices of watches in auctions featured here not by a little but by a lot (I think sometimes increasing the price by 50-100%).

14. Davidt Jun 6, 2014

Agreed. I lurked here for ages as I started as a complete beginner. I'm not much further along the learning curve now but I try to chip in where I can. If people are prepared to take knowledge from the vast wealth that's available on here, they should be willing to contribute, even if it's just a small amount.

UncleBuck likes this.
  15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 6, 2014

I feel we junior members have a responsibility to take on our share of the less complicated, repetitive questions that we get from our beginners on an on-going basis.
    The patience of the mods and professors here is unbelievable, but they have got to get tired of the repetition
    I look back at my early questions and chuckle because they are many of the same ones that get asked over and over ("Omega wants $900 to clean Grandpa's watch, what should I do?" or my fave, and one I asked was " What do you think of this shiny beauty from O.C. Watch?").

As an aged Flower Child, I abhor controls by "The Man" almost universally across the board and have no problems with everything being open.

Conversely, our discussions involving money or values would seem to lend itself to some type of membership requirements or I.D. and I see the point of some opinions.

Personally, I think the pm system works well for protecting privacy and intent and that the subsequent price increase of publicly discussed items can be used to our advantage, not just against us.