Forums Latest Members

Auction House performance in different locations....need opinions !

1. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 13, 2015

Short question for the international auction house watchers and users: I will use Bonhams for the sale in December. Now here is my Question: Hong Kong or London? Many rare military watches and many rare Omegas as well. my first thought was, that these watches are not commonly seen in Asian countries and many of our collectors are there. Therefore Hong Kong. And the VAT/GST absence helps as well. so I thought. Bonhams now offers London as well. High GST, that you can not escape, if you are from the EU…..(Hong kong you could collect and seek your chances at EU entry ) Military watches quite common in the UK. ….. What are your thoughts regarding the price performance of Bonhams in both locations? I know, many here watch every mayor auction and prices achieved. I have to make that decision this week and unfortunately, the results will matter a lot towards my future burden in the divorce settlement. So, any insights very much welcome ! I have not used an auction house so far. Kind regards. achim

2. calalum Oct 13, 2015

I haven't looked at the info that might be available to make a statistical comparison (and in any event it would be an apples and oranges analysis because the results can be based on what is being sold) but anecdotally it seems to me that with what you are presumably selling you would get more action in the room in London (a lot of sport watch collectors in Europe and not too far for NY guys), and prices in the UK always strike me as being higher than elsewhere, suggesting less resistance to higher hammer prices and thus increasing your yield. I also assume that you have negotiated your best deal with the house in terms of fees and commissions, particularly if you are giving them a lot to sell. Best of luck. I am sure that the whole situation is beyond difficult.

watchyouwant and flame like this.
  3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 13, 2015

I have not being following the markets comparatively, but I would think London would be a better venue. Although my understanding is that the Asian vintage/military collector market is awakening, the field is much more established in the UK. If you are offering unique examples, I don't think the existence of other watches already in the hand of collectors will make a big impact. My 2p

watchyouwant likes this.
  4. Skrotis Oct 13, 2015

Yes London is the city for rare watches on auctions in my opinion or Geneva.
    The asian collectors and agents are travelling for europé to buy this kind of watches always bump in to some of them in Munich,and the brittish pound makes GB a good place to sell at least compared in SKR.
    It al comes down to what watches you are unloading but if im not mistaken you have a wery nice collection whit rare pices so Europé befor Asia is my opinion and comision should be below 6% and no fees
    Good luck whit sale.

watchyouwant likes this.