Forums Latest Members

Attractive Ladies Omega With Diamonds To Become A Ring. No Way!

1. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

Respectable Members

I am on the verge of buying a vintage Omega Seamaster 120m model ref 166.073 from a close friend, who has been wearing the watch, the past 25 years or so. (Unfortunately, my computer does not allow me to upload the pix and I am asking a member of this forum to upload it for me. It is in another post in this forum. Hopefully, he succeeds.)

I doubt my friend had ever worn the watch while swimming with the ducks in the pond, since he loves his watch so much. For him, it is more of a dress rather than a tool watch.

With the forthcoming purchase of this watch, instead of a 300m model ref 166.024, it means I will have some change and I intend to get my niece a good ladies vintage Omega watch, too.

I happen to come across one, which is so attractive and uncommon. Of course my niece loves it. But and but and but, she suggested when she gets the watch, she will bring it to a jeweler and cut-off all the four lugs and turn that beautiful watch into a ring, for her finger. No way, will I allow such a beautiful collectible piece to be transformed into a ring. It is murder!

What do you think and this is the watch?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251169701976?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Hopefully, our lady vintage-watch lovers will also let me know, what they think about this watch.

Thank-you.

2. pascs Oct 19, 2012

Thats a very weird place for a winder on the back of the watch, would that be comfortable?

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2012

Respectable Seamonster, The seller of that watch is a very respectable seller Ronnie Shroff. Many here have purchased from him. He is a member on some of the other forums.

4. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

Respectable Member cicindela

It is good to learn the seller is respectable and judging by the feed-back he has, I agree with what you say.

I really love to buy this piece but my niece wants to convert this beauty of a wrist-watch into a ring. A while ago, she confirmed the four lugs will not be wasted, since the jeweler can convert those four lugs into a pair of ear-rings. Though I love my niece so much, I am saddened she is unable to appreciate this classic piece, especially with factory diamonds on the bezel and lugs.

Thank-you.

5. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

Respectable Member pascs

Indeed it is unique because the winding-crown is on the back of the watch. I have seen a few of Patek Philippe gents and ladies watches with this lay-out. It is something different and really uncommon.

Thank-you.

6. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

Did Omega actually produce a watch with diamonds in the 50's, for ladies and also gents?

Thank-you.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 19, 2012

Actually, it's quite comfortable. I own a couple of LeCoultre Futurematics. Jaeger-LeCoultre is famous for back-wind watches for both men and women.

That watch looks like a bona-fide Omega factory case to me, diamonds and all. I don't think Omega made an equivalent watch for men like that. However, I know of this watch that was custom made for Buddy Holly in 1958:

[​IMG]

http://collectibles.about.com/od/pr...lly-Memorabilia/Buddy-Holly-Yearbook.-cGq.htm

Pretty sure this case was made in the USA with an Omega movement. It sold some years ago at auction for over $100K, due to the historical connection.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

cicindela likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Oct 19, 2012

I think the DuoPlan was their first to feature that.

9. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 20, 2012

Respectable Member cicindela and other respectable fellow members

Here is another vintage ladies Omega watch with diamonds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-vin...90741162263?pt=AU_Watches&hash=item2c690f2917Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Between the above and this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251169701976?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

which we have already discussed in this forum, which is the better of the two for my niece, if she is willing to swear on a stack of bibles that she would not convert any of these beautiful vintage timepieces into a ring-watch. Unfortunately, she is new to this healthy pastime of vintage-watch wearing and collecting.

If she does not change her mind, I will not buy her anything till another few years' time when she has grown enough brain, to see and appreciate the beauty and value of a vintage time-piece against something contemporary.

She is now using her mobile telephone to tell time and on her left-wrist is a thin stainless-steel bracelet, given by her mum.

Thank-you.

10. MyVintageOmega Oct 20, 2012

I like the 2nd link better but watches such as these are way out of my league. It really seems that she just wants a ring with some ear rings. What if all those diamonds are fake as are in alot of ladies watches. Ladies watches on ebay?? I would hit the local jewelery store myself......good luck respectful member.

11. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 20, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

I appreciate your opinion.

Likewise, I think the watch in the second link is better and most important for us all, when buying off eBay, we have to heed the advice of our enthusiasts and experts here and that is to buy the buyer, first. The comment from one of our fellow-members here is, the seller for the white gold Omega with diamonds, is trustworthy and reliable.

Anyway, I have spoken to my niece and she told me, she prefers a ring-watch. That being the case, I will not get her any of the above watches. I shall wait, till I come across an excellent example Bucherer ring-watch in 18k solid gold, appearing on eBay or elsewhere.

I will not want to buy anyone a watch and later, discover the watch is disfigured. More than likely, you and other fellow-members here too share this opinion of mine, a watch has life. Botox and plastic surgery are a NO, NO for all our vintage watches, whether it is a Cyma or a Patek Philippe.

Thank-you.

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  12. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 22, 2012

A few friends of mine have confirmed, like what you said, Ronnie Shroff is a reputable gentleman and whatever he lists is genuine. He knows his subject very well, apparently.

I have bought for my niece a pair of ear-rings and a diamond watch - costume jewelry. She is very happy with all those 'rubbish'. There is no reason for me to buy the Ladies Omega white gold watch for her, now.

I hope that beauty of watch will find a good and loving home.

Thank-you.

13. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 23, 2012

Respectable Members

This lovely watch is now gone for $1 200.00 and hopefully, she finds a good and loving home.

Thank-you.

14. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 23, 2012

15. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 23, 2012

16. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 23, 2012

I'm serious! :p If you can snag one of these for around $100, why not? There are so many out there and they're not too collectable, so if it makes her happy I'd say do it. I think it will either look great or bad depending on how it's done. :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-LOT-O...088418609?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3f1e20ff31Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

17. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 23, 2012

Besides, I think it would be better than just seeing them scrapped for gold!

18. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 23, 2012

Respectable Member kyle L

Of course, it is the better of the two evils. However, let us hope and pray, the buyer is a member of our family.

Thank-you.