Forums Latest Members

Attempting to disassemble UG 285 - What's wrong?

1. PHPHD Jan 21, 2016

Hi

So I'm trying to disassemble my UG Cal 285, and I'm wondering whether I'm doing it right

I've removed these 3 screws, which I understand are the ones holding the movement to the case - but somehow the movement is 'stuck' and isn't falling out like I'd expect it to. Am I missing something here / am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help - would love to hear from the experienced members @Archer

PH

Edited Jan 25, 2016
  2. Canuck Jan 21, 2016

You don't show the dial side, but I suspect the movement likely comes out through the FRONT, not the back. If so, that would mean that you might have a removeable front bezel and crystal, or you might have a pop out crystal with a reflector ring in it. If that is the case, you would need a crystal puller, and likely a case press to put the crystal back in. What are your intentions once the movement is out of the case? If you are planning on "delving" into the movement, getting it out of the case is probably the easiest operation you are going to run into!

3. PHPHD Jan 21, 2016

I'm almost sure the movement does not come out from the front because, well, the dial is larger than the crystal's diameter...

4. Canuck Jan 21, 2016

Thereby, for the movement to come out through the back, the case screws are useless positioned where they are, and the dial would have to be the same diameter as the movement, or smaller. The case screws being located as they are tells me the movement likely comes out the front. You say the dial is larger in diameter than the crystal. For you to draw that conclusion, I suspect the crystal would have to be removed. Either the bezel and crystal removed with a case knife, or a crystal remover used to lift the crystal. Since you have the advantage of having the watch in front of you, and you have seen the dial side, perhaps you have an advantage over me!

5. PHPHD Jan 21, 2016

Let me try that out and I'll keep you updated. I don't have the watch in front of me right now to take a picture - but it's quite similar to this one, with a step case as well:

universal_compur_5160_ap_slv_285_wtmk.jpg universal_compur_5160_ap_slv_285_mvtwtmk.jpg
  6. theridewill Like your watch? Then don't listen to my advice. Jan 21, 2016

you remove the movement from the front...
    I have a late 40's chrono similar to what you have and it removes from the front...
    I also have a 30t2 late 40's omega and movement also removes from the front after the bezel is removed from the case...

JimInOz likes this.
  7. Diabolik Jan 22, 2016

Agree. Seems logical. After all,what purpose would screws have of not to stop movement dropping out of front ? Remove screws, remove stem, and remove front bezel and pop movement out. Just a final question, if you are getting stuck at getting movement out, should you be going any further ⁉️

marco, vinn2, PHPHD and 4 others like this.
  8. theridewill Like your watch? Then don't listen to my advice. Jan 22, 2016

Just dont...its a bit complicated and if you havent seen it disassembled by a watch tech then just dont attempt to...you may damage the very tiny wires and springs of the crono mechanism...

9. PHPHD Jan 22, 2016

That... Seems very true.

The reason why I'm trying it out is because I have a second 285 handy that's a back-up in case anything goes wrong, ha. I thought it'll be good to know more about the watches I own.

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2016

My only advice here is don't "practice" Horology on a valuable watch.

Syrte and vinn2 like this.
  11. Canuck Jan 22, 2016

Getting the movement out of the case is the first, and easiest step in dismantling a three-register chronograph! And it you need help for step one..............! If you are looking for ways to reduce your collection, this is probably NOT the best way to do it!

vinn2 likes this.
  12. vinn2 Jan 22, 2016

what you are striving for here is what a technition learns in a 4 yr. apprenticeship. ( don't destroy a good looking watch). a P.H.D. in mechanical engineering would not attempt this.

13. PHPHD Jan 22, 2016

Ok - consider your warnings heard and I will back off from this endeavor.

marco, Dgercp and Hijak like this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 22, 2016

That's what invicta automatics are for.....

aap, x3no, gatorcpa and 1 other person like this.
  15. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 23, 2016

If you do try it again, you might want to disconnect the pushers as they are connected directly to the chronograph. If you don't know how to do this then don't try it because, at the very least, you will need to remove the operating lever.

16. theridewill Like your watch? Then don't listen to my advice. Jan 23, 2016

Im out of here...dont want to see a dead movement killed by its master...