Forums Latest Members

Attempt to visit Alan Shepard's Flown Speedmaster - Fail

1. redpcar Nov 29, 2015

Well, I traveled to Wichita Kansas to visit the in-laws and set aside a day to make a trek up to Hutchinson to visit the Kansas Cosmosphere where there are supposed to be 2 flown Speedmasters on display. Alan Shepard (Apollo 14) and Ron Evans (Apollo 17). It was doomed from the first day due to icy highways :(. Instead, I headed south (away from the ice in Hutchinson) to an antique mall in Wichita that is known for its military items. No Speedmasters there (or even an Omega) but did happen to pick up a bag-o-broken watches on the cheap. 4 worth saving, the rest went to the parts bin. Neat Universal micro-rotor. All in all, not bad. Will try to visit Hutch again at Xmas......

Universal.jpg

noelekal likes this.
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 29, 2015

Nice! I kinda like the Croton...

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 29, 2015

Well that was a rather goofy thing to do.:rolleyes:

redpcar likes this.
  4. repoman Nov 29, 2015

The Ron Evan's Apollo 17 flown watch is not there... @georgetownhoya has it as part of the Christie's Speedmaster 50 auction in December. I was lucky enough to "try it on for size":
    [​IMG]

TLIGuy, noelekal and redpcar like this.
  5. flyingout Nov 30, 2015

There apparently were two. I'm not clear as to why. The Christie's personal piece was used for a heat flow experiment. (On the edge of the watch he etched: “HEAT FLOW EXPR” and “6-19 DEC 1972”.) Our Apollo scholars may know more.

http://www.chronomaddox.com/moonmovement.html

[​IMG]

6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Nov 30, 2015

Show Off. :D

repoman likes this.
  7. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Nov 30, 2015

Dibs on Goofy.