Forums Latest Members
  1. jason10mm Sep 4, 2018

So my "new to me" 2531.80 has started losing time in a big way. When I got it in May it was -2 spd and held it for 3 months. But at the end of July it slipped to -5 spd and over the past few weeks it is now -15 or worse.

It was supposedly serviced by a watchmaker local to the seller before I got it and the seller offers a 6 month warranty. So do I contact him and try to use it, use a local to me watchmaker in Atlanta (there appear to be a few), or send it off to Omega for the red carpet treatment and also establish ownership to me via the omega service warranty card?

Just how hard is it to service the 1120 movement? One of the reasons I went with the 2531 instead of the co-axial version was so I could get it serviced easily so I feel like I ought to avail myself of that option. But its hard to know just how good these watch repair folks are because every one has great and really bad reviews for various customer service things.

Anyone got a good rec for an Atlanta based repair shop? There is an OB here as well so I could just use them as well.

2. bama2141 Sep 4, 2018

See Jake at Swiss Watch Expo on Peachtree near the Lenox mall. He serviced a couple of watches for me including a 2531.80 like yours. Cheaper than sending to Omega. One year warranty.

Best of luck

uvalaw2005 likes this.
  3. jason10mm Sep 5, 2018

They are just up the street from me. Went in there a few weeks back but they were moving and not in a position to show much. Place was FILLED with watches. Millions of dollars worth everywhere :p

Anyone know anything about Bowers? They are just up the street as well.

4. ATracyWatches Sep 5, 2018

An Omega 1120 is not a difficult movement to service, as it is essentially an ETA 2892. Having said that, finding a competent watch repaired isn’t always the easiest task.

How easy a watch movement is to service depends entirely on the skill of the watchmaker. What is ‘easy’ to one may not be ‘easy’ to another.

Look for someone who comes recommended and offers a decent warranty period, and one they stand behind. Also, don’t be afraid to ask questions about their credentials, experience, etc.

Also, be wary of price. Too cheap isn’t always a good thing...

5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 5, 2018

I live in Atlanta, and I used Bowers before, but not for a complete overhaul on a nice watch like yours. You could ask them, and I think they would honestly tell you whether they feel comfortable servicing the caliber 1120. I now send my nice watches to Paul’s watch and clock in Sacramento.

If it were me, though, I would look into having it re-Serviced under the warranty with the previous watchmaker first, unless they turn out to have less than positive recommendations.