Forums Latest Members

At what point is my new Deville Tresor running too fast?

1. wythes Oct 23, 2016

I recently purchased a new Deville Tresor. When the UPS guy delivered it, it wasn't running so I have it a full wind. After about 4-5 twists of the crown the watch started running as expected.

I did a little test to see how accurate this watch really is. After a full wind, I set the Tresor to the exact same hour, minute and second as my Timex Ironman (quartz) and my Orient Bambino v4 (automatic). After about 20 hours the Tresor is 5 seconds faster than both the Timex and Orient.

Is running 5-6 seconds fast after about 24 hours normal? I've been reading about the 'state of the art' movement found in the Deville Tresor and so I'm a bit concerned that it's not holding steady with two other watches, especially given the amount the Tresor costs! Interestingly, the time on the Timex and Orient are in lock-step after 20 hours.

BTW - I bought the Tresor from a reputable website - not an authorized dealer - and also had a reputable Omega repair shop take a look and verify it's authenticity. So I'm not worried that this watch isn't anything other than real.

2. ulackfocus Oct 23, 2016

::facepalm2::

When you can't catch it anymore.

::rimshot::

hkrauss, blubarb, ahartfie and 3 others like this.
  3. Canuck Oct 23, 2016

How much help is the "reputable dealer" likely to be in attending to your concerns? Do you have an Omega warranty, or is it a dealer warranty? Are you telling us that your Orient automatic can match the time kept by your quartz Timex? Really? That'll be a first! Are you under the misguided impression that a mechanical watch will match the accuracy of a quartz watch?

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. SeanO Oct 23, 2016

mechanical watches lost that battle nearly 50 years ago.

5. wythes Oct 23, 2016

I fully understand that any mechanical watch will run faster or slower than a quartz. What I want to know is at what point does a mechanical watch need to be serviced because it's running faster/slower than is acceptable. The Deville Tresor has a 8511 caliber movement. Is it OK that this movement can/will run 6+ seconds fast over a 24 hour period?

6. wythes Oct 23, 2016

Found this website which sheds some light on accuracy of manual watches:
    https://www.prestigetime.com/page.php?accuracy

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 23, 2016

Chronometer grade mans cosc spec. Cosc is -4/+6 a day. So you do the math.

If you have a bambino under -/+2 then congrats.

8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 23, 2016

Your Tresor's (apparent) timekeeping is within the specifications for a certified chronometer, and if it were my watch I wouldn't worry a bit. Since your watch tends to run on the fast side of zero I recommend winding it once every day even though its power reserve is significantly longer than 24 hrs: a more tightly wound mainspring usually results in a lower beat rate.

Jwit and noelekal like this.
  9. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Oct 23, 2016

The last time my edc with an ETA movement came back from the watchmaker, it ran within 1 second every 3 days, which isn't that far from a good quartz watch that can be within a second every 10-15 days. But after a couple months it settled into gaining about 5 seconds a day, where it has remained since. My watchmaker tells me that's normal. It was also off by 5 seconds a day when it was new.

10. wythes Oct 23, 2016

Good to know. Thanks.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 24, 2016

The Cal. 8511, and all Omega COSC watches, have a tolerance of from -1 to +6 seconds per day for average daily rate.

Cheers, Al