Forums Latest Members

AT Skyfal power reserve question

1. cvrle1 Oct 21, 2016

Few quick newbie questions about aqua terra skyfall power reserve. I wore the watch whole day 2 days ago and wanted to see if power reserve worked correctly. It is listed as 60 hours.

I set the watch down at 5:30pm on the 19th. Watch stopped moving at 6:15am on 21st. So if my math is correct, that was only 37 hours.

Searched around and found another thread about earlier model with similar issue (cal 2500), and someone said wind the watch 50 times and set it down. There should be a click when you wind around 50th turn. I figured I will try that. I unwound the crown from normal position and it popped into position 1 as it should. I wound 50 times clockwise, and seconds started to move after few winds, so that is good. I kept winding after 50 turn, and there was no click of any sort, it just kept going and going and going. Not sure if this is correct either. I wound at least 80 times and crown is still rotating clockwise.

I tried finding info on this, but couldnt find much of it, so if anyone can chime in, it would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 21, 2016

Wearing the watch will not fully wind it in all cases.

Your a little unclear if you have fully wound it and let it sit for a period for testing. Also 50 turns is appropriate and a turn is different for different people.

3. cvrle1 Oct 21, 2016

Time for another stupid question, how do I know if it is fully wound? As in, do I just keep rotating the crown clockwise until it stops moving, or until this mysterious click is heard, or something else? Thanks

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 21, 2016

there won't be a click as far as I know. It has a clutch so you can't over wind it.

Turn 50, 60, 70 times and it should be full. Set it down and see how long it runs.

Omeg@007, Pun and cvrle1 like this.
  5. cvrle1 Oct 21, 2016

Thanks, I wound her up more than that for sure, so lets see what happens in few days. Will report the findings once the watch stops again.

6. w.finkenstaedt Oct 21, 2016

There's a slipping clutch on the barrels allowing for continuous winding via the crown or the oscillating weight. The crown won't stop (unless screwed down).

50-60 full revolutions of the crown should give it full power reserve. Wearing it usually won't unless you speak with your hands (I do), or lead a fairly active lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cvrle1 likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Oct 21, 2016

Wind it a good 75 turns since you can't overwind it. If you still see an issue with a sub-40 hour reserve, you might have an issue with the second mainspring barrel. Omega has put out a technical bulletin on it.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 22, 2016

There will be a clicking sound, but it may not be able to be heard - depends on the case materials and condition of the barrel sometimes. The clicking comes from the mainspring slipping in notches that are on the inside wall of the second barrel.

I don't know how many turns of the crown is required to wind this one off hand, but you won't hurt it by winding it a lot for this test. It will certainly take more with the 2 mainspring barrels.

Lack of power reserve can come from many places, so it would be pure speculation to suggest it's one particular problem. These movements are far from trouble free so far, and that does include problems with both of the DLC coated barrels.

Let us know how long it runs dial up after fully winding.

Cheers, Al

w.finkenstaedt and cvrle1 like this.
  9. cvrle1 Oct 22, 2016

Thanks again everyone. I wound it up yesterday close to 100 times and left it there since 10am. Once it stops I will post an update

10. Pun Oct 22, 2016

I'd rather suggest to wear it for the maximum time for a week or so and then check the power reserve. My experience says normally a watch takes few months of regular wear to reach the optimal levels.

11. cvrle1 Oct 22, 2016

It's not a new watch. 1 year old, so if there is a "break in period" it has already come and gone.

12. Pun Oct 22, 2016

And did you check it before as well or this is the first time you're checking? How regular you wear it?

13. cvrle1 Oct 23, 2016

1st time checking it as I just got it. Wore it once so far, as it is new to me.

14. Pun Oct 23, 2016

That implies either the watch was not used regularly by the previous user and it may improve once on duty regularly or the watch has problems with the power reserve and needs attention of service centre or an expert watchmaker. In any case I don't think it'll be a big issue to address.

15. cvrle1 Oct 24, 2016

Here is the update as promised. After winding it manually ~100 turns and leaving it be, watch stopped working after 63.5 hours. That looks to be in line with 60 hours power reserve that it should have. Thanks again for the help.

w.finkenstaedt, Pun and Foo2rama like this.
  16. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 24, 2016

Very nice. I did the same test with mine (but only wound 75 times) and was able to get 56 hours.

cvrle1 and Pun like this.