Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 10, 2014

Hi all,
    Ive just got back from a light swim and noticed that I forgot to screw down the crown on my AT. Does that impact the water proofing? I cant see any water, moisture, etc through the back, but should I be concerned? What should I do?
    Ta
    Daniel

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 10, 2014

I don't know the answer, not familiar with the AT crown/seals setup.

I'd get it to a watchmaker just in case.

Even if you can remove the caseback and put it in a big tupperware container with a wardrobe dessicator (Thirsty Hippo at your local supermarket) the seals will need to be replaced and pressure tested to ensure waterproofing.

Good luck

thirsty_hippo_drybox_01.jpg

3. ulackfocus Jan 10, 2014

The seals are usually good enough on a new watch to prevent water incursion whether the crown is screwed down or not.

N2FHL / Steve would be the man to ask though.

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 10, 2014

Thanks. So I will take itinonmonday. Inthe meantime, ive unscrewed the crown and got itcrown down on top of one of those thirsty hippos (ive always got one sitting next to my watch boxes), so hopefully that will help also.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 10, 2014

Archer might be able to help also.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 10, 2014

If it's a newer watch you should be okay. There is a seal in the case tube that will provide water resistance, as it seals on the tube portion of the crown.

Not a bad idea to dry it out, and if you are really concerned you could perform a condensation test. You can gently warm the case and after heating it up place some cool water on the crystal...just a drp. Leave it for a minute then wipe it away and look for condensation on the inside of the crystal. If there is none you are good.

Cheers, Al

styggpyggeno1, ron n and Privateday7 like this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 11, 2014

Can we do it on most watches without harming them?
    What source of heat are you suggesting? table lamp? back of TV?

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 11, 2014

This condensation test is done on every watch that is subjected to high pressure wet testing, where the watch is tested for more than the 10 bar that the dry testing machine is capable of. My wet testing machine is capable of testing to 125 bar, or 1250 meters depth.

You only need to place a drop of water on the crystal, so no harm should come to a watch from doing this.

I would not recommend a TV (magnetic field issues) but a lamp would be fine. I use a warming plate specifically designed for this test - it warms the watch to 47 degrees C. You don't want to make the watch too hot though...

Cheers, Al

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 11, 2014

Thanks Al.

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 11, 2014

Cheers. Will try this and report back.

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 11, 2014

So, created my own hot plate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heated it until the crystal was hot to touch, and couldnt handle the crystal. A drop of fridge cool water
    [​IMG]
    Wait a minute or two, and....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No evidence of condensation!
    Thanks Archer

12. Luiz Jan 13, 2014

Will you serve it with fries ? LOL! Just kidding mate. I'm glad you sorted things out but I can't imagine myself doing the same thing as you ;)

13. Jensop Jan 10, 2016

Hi all!
    I just tried this with my Speedmaster for fun albeit a simplified version. Warmed the watch in my hands for a few minutes and then placed a small ice cube on the crystal for about a minute.
    There did appear a fog under the centre of the crystal that took a minute or more to clear.
    It was a fine fog and there were no droplets - is it fairly safe to assume that it was just the relative humidity inside the watch?
    Guess I could experiment again following Al's instruction more stringently.

Best regards, Jens

14. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 10, 2016

tongue in cheek

unless - of course - its a speedmaster, which were tested and ok'd by certain us governmental agencies up to 93 degrees C.

:D

15. Jensop Jan 16, 2016

So what about an ice cube? Too cold and sudden a change in temperature?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Regards, Jens

16. lillatroll Jan 16, 2016

Nah, your watch is buggered, you had better sell it and buy an AT. :D