Forums Latest Members

AT - 8500 date or 8601 calendar date?

1. jackbauer2015 Oct 9, 2015

Hi All,

Popped into the Omega boutique in Royal Exchange, to date I have had my heart set on the blue 41.5m date but I think my head has just been turned by the blue 43mm calendar date instead!

Would love to know what the differences are between the two apart from the obvious! i.e. one shows the month and the other doesnt, one is bigger than the other and the former is master co-axial and the latter isnt.

Is there anything else I've missed? Tempted to ask Kringkily to see if he can source the latter.

Lastly the watch I wear will be used as a daily wear, ideally for use in the office. (I drive a desk!) Just want to make sure which one is more appropriate.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 9, 2015

Of course, there is the price difference as well -- on the order of $US 2,500 MSRP to get the calendar date feature. Regarding the "master" designation, if you were willing to wait a bit (for how long it's hard to say -- 1 year?...2 years?) it's fairly certain that the calendar date model will eventually have all the non-magnetic properties of the current date-only model. Whatever you end up choosing, they're fantastic watches and will serve you extremely well in your office duties. Good luck!

3. jackbauer2015 Oct 9, 2015

Thanks Jones in LA, the lady in the boutique did mention that the entire range would eventually move to master co-axial. Just not sure whether I can afford the step up or even wait that long!
    Decisions decisions. Still I'd like to think I'm on the right track as my original choice was a Tag Heuer 1887 rose gold stainless steel!!

4. chickenman26 Oct 10, 2015

Date and day of the week would be nice, but I think it's a waste of money to pay that much extra for the month display. Does anyone really forget what month it is?

5. Superdoc Oct 10, 2015

it isn't just a "Month Display", its an annual Calendar... You're getting the added complication of the date changing over in correspondence with the month - Eg September 30th becomes October 1st without any need to manually adjust the date window...
    (February is the exception)

it is a higher level complication than a day-date ... (which is a ROLEX invention anyway)...

6. OmegaSean Oct 10, 2015

Royal Exchange probably the most expensive place to buy a second hand omega look elsewhere unless they give you a huge discount. The price of their second hand watches are a few hundred pounds difference than a new one outside of the smoke
    OmegaSean

7. chickenman26 Oct 10, 2015

Sort of a perpetual calendar? Thanks for that info. Guess I'm a lower level guy, 'cause I can't remember what day of the week it is, or the date for that matter.

8. Superdoc Oct 10, 2015

Sort of a Perpetual Calendar's younger teenage brother....
    A Perpetual calendar adds the Year complication, and would even take into account leap years -
    Annual Calendars require adjustment once per year... Whereas the Perpetual calendar only once per century...

So again, for the Annual Calendar, there is often an extra layer of complication to the movement necessitating a thicker case..

Of course I continue to advocate getting both....
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edited Oct 10, 2015