Forums Latest Members

Astronauts for 1st SpaceX flight wearing anything special?

1. Wryfox May 8, 2020

Realizing this is a momentous occasion for America to start flying our own Astronuats again after a decade, and on a 'private' ship. Do you think they will be wearing any special timepieces for the flight?

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe May 8, 2020

befobe, 89-0 and Wryfox like this.
  3. Wryfox May 8, 2020

Thanks SpeedyPhil!....can I assume no special commemorative watch? Just the standard X-33?

Edited May 8, 2020
  4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe May 8, 2020

Well it's unclear, during the last walk-out, of course with Tesla vehicles, neither of the Space-X astronauts seemed to wear a timepiece...
    We can only assume/imagine what they will be wearing... both ex-NASA astronauts but an Omega X-33 Speedmaster seems most obvious :thumbsdown:

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 8, 2020

There definitely has been a SpaceX watch. My friend's son has one (he works there). I'll have to dig through threads on another forum and see if I can find a photo.

EDIT/ Update: Shoot, there is no longer a photo on the forum. It's a Tag LE that was available to the general public, but select people with SpaceX received them as bonuses/ thank-yous. Here is the info from the post:

Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 SpaceX Chronograph Watch Hands-On

[​IMG]
    Elon Musk's SpaceX made big headlines recently as their Dragon capsule docked with the International Space Station (ISS). They also recently announced a new deal with the US military to transport payloads into space - which was only possible after they flew three successful missions in a row. While sending people to space started as a government-supported goal, it is now up to private companies to further our galactic presence. SpaceX is among a select group of global companies that will continue our mission to space. Tag Heuer has released what is probably the first watch in celebration of SpaceX's achievements.
    Tag Heuer and SpaceX's relationship likely started with Elon Musk - whom the brand worked with on his other company Tesla. I don't know if you recall, but Tag Heuer had a neat branded electric Tesla Roadster S car that they took around the world on a large tour. I actually don't know if there was ever a Tag Heuer Tesla watch - I don't think there was. With SpaceX there is, and Tag's relationship with Musk's ventures continues.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This limited edition watch is called the Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 SpaceX Chronograph, and will be part of a limited edition of 2,012 pieces. While it is branded SpaceX, the watch also celebrates the 50th anniversary of Tag Heuer's status as "The First Swiss Watch In Space." That same phrase is printed on the dial and caseback of the watch. In 1962, John Glenn wore a Tag Heuer stopwatch on his wrist over his flight suit when being launched into orbit around the earth. It was supposed to be a back-up clock or timer. This of course predated the Apollo XI mission to the moon later that decade.
    I am not totally sure how SpaceX fits into that, but the little picture of a rocket on the front and rear of the watch is of a SpaceX rocket and capsule. The white dial with blued steel hands is very reminiscent of stopwatch-style dials, while also being quite instrumental in design. The Carrera SpaceXwatch offers a clean, legible look that I think many watch lovers will appreciate. The SpaceX logo and rocket image on the rear of the watch is placed on the sapphire exhibition caseback window which is tinted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The watch itself is 43mm wide and in steel. It looks good being polished and mixed with the more traditional looking dial. That gives it a nice tool/formal watch mix of aesthetic values. No doubt it has a bit of a retro flair. Inside the watch is the Calibre 1887 movement that the newer Carrera watches contain. The 1887 is an in-house made movement using a base design that Tag Heuer modified from a high-end Seiko automatic chronograph caliber. It is a pretty good movement and feels a bit more interesting than the standard Swiss ETA 7750s contained in most Carrera timepieces.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Attached to the case is a brown suede-style leather strap with racing style perforations. The rugged looking strap helps give the instrument-style dial a bit more personality. The watch is also available on a metal Carrera bracelet - which will turn it into a watch that fits very well at SpaceX headquarters (I can imagine). With a release of around November, 2012, the limited edition of the 2,012 piece Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 SpaceX Chronograph watch will retail for $5,800.

Edited May 8, 2020
    Pun, DaveK, SpeedyPhill and 1 other person like this.
  6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe May 8, 2020

Curious to see what will be on their wrists on launch-day !

7. jsducote May 8, 2020

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 8, 2020

Anyone know what they are wearing suit wise on ascent descent? I assume not the Russian made suits.

9. TLIGuy May 8, 2020

SpaceX proprietary suit for ascent and return. SpaceX website has a bit on the suit but this page has the most detailed images of all the parts.

eugeneandresson and Foo2rama like this.
  10. pdxleaf ... May 8, 2020

Is that the Stig from Top Gear?!! Gonna be a helluva ride.

Orbit267 likes this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 8, 2020

Thanks! Everyday Astronaut is a great YouTube content creator also. I think I’ll be watching his livestream for the launch.

Edited May 9, 2020
    befobe and pdxleaf like this.
  12. pdxleaf ... May 9, 2020

That website you told us about is seriously good. I made the mistake of clicking on a story about rocket engines at the bottom of the page on suits. In short order, I am reading about rocket engines and thinking I understand what he's saying. Really breaks it down. Thanks again. You opened my horizons.

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. Pvt-Public May 9, 2020

Was a Heuer really the first Swiss watch in space as noted at the 3 o’clock position?

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 9, 2020

If a stop watch strapped to a wrist is a watch.

Wryfox likes this.
  15. Omega-Q May 18, 2020

Have you all seen this photo? NASA astronauts Bob Behnken (rear) and Doug Hurley (front) participating in SpaceX's flight simulator of launch and docking of the Crew Dragon spacecraft, at NASA's Kennedy Space Center, earlier this year. I can't tell what is on the wrist (maybe an X-33?)...but for those of you with trained eyes...?

28538574-0-image-a-20_1589818189960.jpg
  16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe May 27, 2020

17. duc May 27, 2020

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  18. robinsta May 27, 2020

They're in the capsule and one of them has an X-33 on his left wrist.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  19. burnrbr May 27, 2020

Yep! Can’t get a clear screen grab of it.

8F44178B-80F0-4FB5-9DBD-E8DBFF6F9239.png

F8C12CDC-524D-4083-B77A-3850C2D193FF.jpeg

SpeedyPhill and Foo2rama like this.
  20. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe May 28, 2020

Dough Hurley wore his watch underneath the spacesuit: ( photo: SpaceX/NASA )
    2020_DougHurley.jpg

split-time likes this.