Forums Latest Members

Assets - Investing in the watch industry

1. Edantony Dec 20, 2016

hi all,

I was wondering if some of you had translated their love and knowledge of watches into taking any kind of positions (shareholding, bonds) in the watch industry.

On the other hand, are some of you purposely investing on timepieces themselves as part of an investment strategy?

Here's a pic of one of my watches, just to lend more readibility to this thread (ps I do not consider an investment per say :) )

IMG_7541.JPG
    rominvicta, Jwit, Kofosu and 4 others like this.
  2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 20, 2016

Yes...

My daughter is 18 months old, and currently my watch portfolio could pay for 4 years of state school college if she were 18 years old today...will be interesting to see where it is 15 years.

The gains on vintage watches, when purchased correctly, make financial minded people's head spin.

New watches...not so much. Talk to the Panera bread watch collectors and see how their investments panned out...

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 20, 2016

We all hope our colllections appreciate. Reality ... you have to sell them.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 20, 2016

Securities ... well check Swatch and Richmont stock .....close to rock bottom now. Look at the 5 year view.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  5. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 20, 2016

:whistling:... you don't eat where you sh!t

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 20, 2016

7. WatchVaultNYC Dec 20, 2016

I would not want to think of watches as investments (other than investments in "inventory") but I do have a small collection for myself. The practical part of my brain strains against the idea of a costly asset that does not have a practical utility. But if I do think of my collection as an appreciating asset, then dang it, I'd be forced to sell everything except old Speedys and Rolex sport watches to make sure that regular appreciation does happen. Where's the joy in that?

8. rightrower Dec 22, 2016

Bought too many modern watch brand which dont appreciate.

Just wear the watch with joy from now. And stop buying watch.

My investment are better off in fixed securities than watches.

But then again, if you have access to clientele pools who have fund and willimg to pay over the top for the watch that you collect, you are probably in good hand. I know I am not.

Many enthusiasts I know have too many watches too little budget.

Don't buy watches as investment.

If you want, buy stocks, start your own watch brand using ks or indiegogo or be a dealer to resell gray or used watch. It might just pay off more handsomely.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Edited Dec 22, 2016
  9. ulackfocus Dec 22, 2016

....and dancr, and bltzn.

kkt, LouS and M'Bob like this.
  10. Alex_TA Dec 23, 2016

I own small quantity of Swatch and LVMH stocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riviera Paradise, Kofosu and Edantony like this.
  11. Edantony Dec 23, 2016

@Alex_TA influenced by your interest in the industry's products?

12. Alex_TA Dec 23, 2016

Of course, I own Omega and Zenith. The two I've mentioned are their mother companies.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 23, 2016

Cars, cigars, music, wine, watches, woman(singular intended), enjoy the best and others will be jealous and drive the value to the moon.
    Buy what you like but don't be surprised at the agreement and value of your good tastes.

noelekal and Paedipod like this.
  14. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 23, 2016

As an investment strategy...

Not for me. It is a hobby for me. I have several hobbies/interests that I spend money on, and I enjoy them all, it just so happens this is the most expensive one of them all.

I have Speedmaster buying strategy, and at this point it is to complete what I call my Speedmaster from Every Decade collection.

15. corn18 Dec 23, 2016

If the watch companies are in an index fund, then I own some of their stock. I am a boglehead.

watchme and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  16. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 24, 2016

Enjoy them now!... It'll all go when your daughter wants a wedding!

17. corn18 Dec 24, 2016

Do you think they might want a watch instead of a wedding?

khanmu, watchme, adi4 and 1 other person like this.
  18. WatchVaultNYC Dec 24, 2016

Actually a lot of them want a watch for their weddings

watchme likes this.
  19. corn18 Dec 24, 2016

Well that just makes it cost more.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  20. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 24, 2016

It amazes me how many people don't look at watches as investments. Granted not every watch is a solid investment and like stocks and shares they can rise or fall in value. Personally, every watch I have bought to hang on too has doubled and some tripled in value since purchase.

Bank interest rates are at an all time low, property requires huge investments, classic cars the same (for the nice ones), look at the gullwing 300sl now $1.2m+, Porsche 911 2.7 RS, $1m+.... you catch my drift.

Now lets look at watches... Rolex Coke, Pepsi, Rootbeer, 70's Milgauss all fetch way more than what they cost. Vintage speedys, the ones that were all over looked by so many now fetching in some cases $50k+ so yes i consider watches as investments but you need to study whats increasing over the years before you buy in to it as an investment. I will pay anyone who guessed a Petek would sell for 9 MILLION!!!