Forums Latest Members

Assessment of possible vintage Speedy purchase, please?

1. martindk May 5, 2015

Hello all,

Just arrived at this forum after having read dozens of articles on Omega Speedmaster and now having decided to find a 145.022-69 or 145.012. I have come across this one from a private seller in Denmark, so i look to you for advise:

- Any obvious replacement parts?
    - Whats your opinion on case, too polished/scratched or acceptable?
    - Doesn't come with bracelet, should i rather go for an item that has it? Wont use it, but for possible re-sale value?
    - Is the price fair - $2850 ?

Info from seller:
    - Unpolished case
    - Original mat T-dial/hands and pre moon caseback
    - No documents or box

DSCF0380.JPG DSCF0379.JPG DSCF0378.JPG DSCF0377.JPG DSCF0376.JPG DSCF0374.JPG DSCF0375.JPG

2. Slevin kelevra May 5, 2015

Bottom sub dial looks like it has issues.

lwong likes this.
  3. Davidt May 5, 2015

i think its too much for a '69 with the DnN bezel in well used condition that looks like it needs a service.

4. martindk May 5, 2015

Thanks Slevin - could you specify? You mean not original or not working?

5. martindk May 5, 2015

Thanks David - the DnN bezel could be original? Unsure about the Tachy font though?

6. Davidt May 5, 2015

The bezel looks original if it's a later '69, although it's not in particularly good condition.

The hour recorder is at the 3 position but the second and minute counter look to be reset to zero, which suggests it's got hour hand creep and needs a service.

m84 likes this.
  7. martindk May 5, 2015

Thanks a lot for your help, seems obvious about the counters now, you're so right. Taking in account that the watch needs a service, whats your take on a reasonable price?

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 5, 2015

It is usually an easy fix but does require removal of the hands and dial so will be resolved at a service. As it is one of the required checks in the re-assembly, it shouldn't cost any extra.

9. martindk May 5, 2015

Thanks Stewart, the watch definitely needs service i can tell. Whats your take on the price?

Edited May 5, 2015
  10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 5, 2015

This looks to me like a 145.022-69, in what I call "sub - running" condition, as it strictly is not "running" because of the "crono-creep" on the subdial. As others say, this will get sorted in the full service it obviously needs.

The bezel and the chrono are the later types, so less valuable.
    The case is not bad, but it is worn and shows plenty of use.
    The dial is damaged on the running seconds subdial - may be damaged in other places but I gave up scrutinizing.

The strap is not something I take into account when buying a watch - correct vintage ones are always available should you want one.

So when looking for a value :
    It has a fair, but not valuable bezel.
    It has a square end chrono, and damaged hands
    It has a damaged dial
    It requires a service
    We have not seen inside

So no, in my opinion it is not worth $2850

I think this falls between "poor" and "running"
    http://speedmaster101.com/price-chart-2/

11. daswunschkind May 5, 2015

Yea, you absolutly need to have a look on the movement and the inside of the caseback.
    Even as a rookie (as I am) the movement can tell you a lot about the watch.
    If the seller is serious, that shoudn't be a problem.

Hm, the dial has nearly no patina at all....I don't know, I'm questioning a bit the "pre-moon" attribute of the watch.
    Let's see the serial number of the movement.

Beside that I do like the used look of the bezel and the caseback.
    Altought to my feeling a pre-moon watch should have a DoN bezel.

Something seller often forget is, that the bracelet (1171 in this case) is worth something (around 400EUR).
    It annoys me to see, that often the same prices are called with or without bracelet.

I join Spacefruit, from what I see the watch is too expensive.

12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 5, 2015

Jimos, KIMBER, martindk and 2 others like this.
  13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 5, 2015

good question. :coffee:

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 5, 2015

I'm guessing more likely a House Of Cards fan

martindk likes this.
  15. martindk May 6, 2015

Thanks for you input and help @Spacefruit

I think i will spend a little more on the watch and get a watch in condition between "Running" and "Good" instead.
    Any suggestions to the best marketplaces for this? Preferably in EU, due to import tax outside EU.

The seller sent me 1 new picture, he says the watch wasn't reset on the previous pictures. Look below - does this mean the watch doest have croon-creep? I see the hour marker seems just a little off?
    unnamed.jpg

16. martindk May 6, 2015

Thanks for your help @daswunschkind

Regarding the dial, you think it might be a replacement? Seems correct to the model, but perhaps not original
    I have asked the seller for the serial although he doesn't like opening the watch himself.

Whats your take on the new picture i posted regarding "chrono creep"?

17. marturx May 6, 2015

It definitely doesn´t reset properly in the hour counter. Whatever the seller says, it shows clearly also in the last picture

18. martindk May 6, 2015

Thanks for your help, i agree... A service would fix that though, but i'm considering going for a piece thats in overall better condition.

Any suggestions to the best marketplaces for this? Preferably in EU, due to import tax outside EU.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 6, 2015

That's not just creep that's offf and half way finished . But a easy fix , offer price less service

20. Pahawi May 6, 2015

@martindk - Seller of the watch is also named Martin - is it a coincidence or ......?

Anyway, not long ago I paid DKK 1.000,- less for this -69 and I don't considor it a bargain:

IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

Came with the original buckle too....

daswunschkind and hansmaulwurf like this.