Forums Latest Members

Assessment of my 105.012-64. Please help me fill the gaps

1. DotOverNine Apr 27, 2019

Hello all,

after 15 years in my possession it's time to get to know my watch entirely. It's been an interesting journey. I remember being quite insecure when i was presented to this watch in 2004. At the time i've only had a brand new Speedy. I posted some shots of the watch both in swedish forums and on Timezone. After getting thumbs up from an italian guy named Gino and the late Chuch Maddox on TZ i bought the watch. The reason i chose this particular reference is the close relation to the actual watches been to the moon.

As you all know, back then we didn't discuss the Speedmaster at a very high level of details. But i believe i got a decent piece. I've done my homework but need some help to make my assessment complete.

Please fill in or correct me on the following review!

Reference: ST 105.012-64
    Serial no: 2208 7xxx

Case: Unpolished, Asymmetrical case, Twisted lugs, HF Huguenin Freres
    My opinion: Not sure of polished or not...

Caseback: A3 double step with Speedmaster engraved on rear
    My opinion: should be correct, Seahorse quite visible, same damage after being opened

Bezel: B1 Dot diagonal 70, BASE 500, DOT over 90, DOT next to 70 (lower right), accent over the E
    My opinion: should be correct, blueish and in good condition

Movement: Cal 321, A3 – 2nd generation, fully serviced February 2019
    My opinion: should be correct and in great condition

Crown: Original, A1 24 teeth, narrow flat feet
    My opinion: Hoping it's original, some have told me that it is, matches A1 in MWO, some damage to it

Dial: B2 – Close T, Original stepped dial, Applied Metal Logo, Professional text, SWISS MADE with close spaced T marks, Tritium indices
    My opinion: is correct and in good condition, not as sure on lume

Hands: C1 – Baton Drop, Original baton hands and spear chrono hand. Drop end chrono hand. Tritium
    My opinion: should be correct, some miscoloring, mostly on the minute hand

Plexi: Original with Omega logo etched
    My opinion: correct, not polished in my possession

Pushers: Type 3 Wide & short, Original pushers.
    My opinion: looks short and fat necked, but i'm not 100% confident on these

Bracelet: Original 1506/16 with the correct ’16’ endlinks (date stamped) 1 65 means 1st quarter 1965.
    My opinion; Is correct, both bracelet and end links, in good condition and with all pieces i believe

And the never ending LUME discussion. What are your thoughts on the lume on the hour markers? My watchmaker believes they are original, after some moist during the years they can look like that. Brownish, a little bit messy look. Not my personal favorite of lume.

What about polishing of the case? This is one of the hardest things for me to judge...

Would also appreciate what you think of the condition of the watch

I have an EoA. Delivered to Sweden in 1965.

And here's the pictures of my early morning photo session.
    front.jpg front2.jpg front3.jpg side.jpg crown1.jpg crown2.jpg crown3.jpg caseback1.jpg caseback2.jpg back1.jpg back2.jpg pusher1.jpg pusher2.jpg pusher3.jpg pusher4.jpg movement1_edit.jpg movement2_edit.jpg IMG_4591.jpg IMG_4592.jpg IMG_4593.jpg IMG_4594.jpg IMG_4595.jpg IMG_4596.jpg

And the sunny shot =)

IMG_4282.jpg

Thanks in advance! Wish you all a great saturday! =)

TNTwatch, Matth84, Taybharr and 11 others like this.
  2. Davidt Apr 27, 2019

For my money, everything on that watch down to the pushers, crown, bezel, bracelet and endlinks is completely original.

The lume is original as well and given the overall condition of the rest of the watch I'd say it's likely it was stored somewhere that may have had some humidity, leading to the dark green hue on the plots which is associated with this.

Overall I'd say the watch is Good-plus, even toward some collector, but the lume colouration puts the dial more at Good-minus.

3. 105012 Apr 27, 2019

Lovely Speedmaster 105.012. The brushing and polishing of the case facets are correct, does not mean original, but I would assume original given the overall context. Lume is different from my similar age example, your watchmakers explanation make sense. Lume on my example:

[​IMG]

4. ATWG Apr 27, 2019

I agree with everything that’s been said. The color of the plots on the dial is the only element detracting from this watch. The case to me looks like it has been lightly polished in the past. The edges on the facet are a hint rounded. There’s pitting between the lugs which suggests the watch came from a humid climate. The pitting doesn’t match the condition of the rest of the case. Lovely watch, wear it and enjoy.

5. DotOverNine Apr 27, 2019

Thanks guys for the input. @ATWG i don't understand what "pitting" means...

About the humidity: I can't know where the previous owner used and/or stored the watch. I bought it from the 1st owner and he is also a swede and watch was delivered to Sweden. So the humidity is not from climate i believe. Maybe he worked in humid conditions... But boy do i regret not asking him more history of the watch and his story around it. Didn't think a second about that back in 2004...

Hans the Wolf and Etp095 like this.
  6. ATWG Apr 27, 2019

Here’s what I was referencing, hard to tell from the pics...

538066CB-04A0-4DB4-A39F-37A0AFBAFE47.png
  7. Dgercp Apr 27, 2019

My opinionis that your opinions are correct.
    I consider it a lovely example that I would love to own.
    Thanks for sharing!

DotOverNine likes this.
  8. Mr Blond Apr 27, 2019

The lume colour might not be to everyone’s taste however for me I like it, at least you know it’s not a relume, it’s original the way it should be.

DotOverNine likes this.
  9. JanV Apr 27, 2019

Can I say that i “concur” with the above comments, you have a very nice 105.012 and a more rare -64 at that. :thumbsup:

Your picture of the watch in the sun makes the dial look waaay better than your indoors pictures. Now it looks almost like it has a radium burn to it, rather than a ugly greenish mouldy appeal.

I would polish the original crystal to get the best out of that dial, if your not a 100% purist that nothing can be allowed to be touched on a watch.

Just 5 minutes with Polywatch and this will “pop” even more. You will be surprised on how much this affects the overall appeal and look of the dial.

Please take more pictures of it in the sun, or indirect sunlight.

Regarding polishing, yes I think it has been polished lightly at some stage as there seems to be some scratches evident under the polish on the sides. Nothing that sets of any bells with me though.

Great looking 012, wear it in good health!

DotOverNine likes this.
  10. DotOverNine Apr 27, 2019

I understand. This is something i haven't seen with my pure eye. However i cleaned the gap between lugs with a piece of cloth. And i think it was mostly dirt. Here's an after pic.

pitting1.jpg

Taybharr and ATWG like this.
  11. DotOverNine Apr 27, 2019

Yes, i agree that the dial looks better in natural light compared to my pics from this morning. I just wanted "neutral" pictures to better assess the watch. Here's the photo studio btw =)

studio.jpg

kelev_ra, Seaborg, Etp095 and 5 others like this.
  12. JanV Apr 27, 2019

If you look at your pictures, they tend to be greenish or uneven in their appearance. Due maybe to sunlight entering thru the window, camera settings and shooting with not enough light? I usually use black background as it eliminates a bit of the green hue and reflections if you can’t get a totally sunlight isolated room.

If the hue is greenish, then this will affect overall appearance quite significantly.

And you need at least one more light source, maybe even two. The lack of light probably explains the differences in your pictures compared to the sunlight shot.

Edited Apr 27, 2019
  13. DogmaT Apr 28, 2019

Based on above pic, looks like the chrono hand has been replaced, looks simply very white compared to other hands

14. bikehomero Apr 28, 2019

I don't think so. Lume seems equal to me. Looks like a very nice exmple to me, the light polish is well done.

DotOverNine likes this.
  15. TimtimeIntl Apr 28, 2019

I like it. Always wanted a -64 or -63. Interesting how cleaning between lugs changed my impression of case condition (lack of pitting now). Great comments on lume and lighting.

DotOverNine likes this.
  16. DotOverNine Apr 28, 2019

I understand your point. However i see no difference in colour between the hands in any lighting. Been looking closely now inside and outside with natural sun light. The other hands have some miscoloring though, that might make it appear that they would be of different colour...

17. DogmaT Apr 28, 2019

Agree, nice watch! Plots are still original, I would not recommend to relume, stick to originality. Value around 11k..with papers even higher

Etp095 and DotOverNine like this.
  18. JanV Apr 28, 2019

Please, just for fun, provide us some more shots of it in sunlight.

19. DotOverNine Apr 28, 2019

I will! But there’s no sun today!

JanV likes this.
  20. JanV Apr 28, 2019

Ok, so in the meantime, here’s my also swedish bought 105.012-66 HF, as we have sun today. :cool:

23B6E783-303F-493D-ABD9-A2AEE1DE0A5E.jpeg AFD7A8C4-A16D-4419-9B98-D41280F28035.jpeg