Forums Latest Members
  1. jeppehh Jun 16, 2019

Hi all

I've been on the lookout for an early Seamaster chronograph for a while. The strategy now is to spend a bit more time learning and looking before pulling the trigger.

This post is therefore more for curiousity and learning, so that I can make good (better) choices in the future.

I found this Seamaster chronograph that looks like a 2907 reference to me.

Dial
    The dial appear to have a fair bit of discoloration and some damage. The crystal is in poor state as well, which I think makes the watch appear worse than it likely is.
    The dial furniture looks correct as well. I believe it might make it 2907-3 reference.

Crown and pushers
    It also looks like the pushers and crown is correct to the reference.

Case
    The case is worn, but doesn't appear overly polished.

Movment
    The picture of the movement is too blurry to make much out of, so here I'm in the dark.

Price
    This is not a prestine example and I belive price reflect this. The price is roughgly USD 2200 (which to me sounds reasonable)

So question area:
    1) What are your thoughts on my assesment of the watch
    2) What do you think of the asking price.

Hope you are willing to play :)

2907_1.jpg 2907_2.jpg 2907_3.jpg

DaveK likes this.
  2. Vitezi Jun 16, 2019

Don't forget the obvious questions: Does it tick? Do the chronograph functions work? A functioning watch does not mean there aren't issues, but you can rule a few out. Note that the regulator is shoved towards the "R" suggesting someone has monkeyed with the movement.

Don't overlook the hands: Your example seems to be the correct style, though a bit rusty. That suggests moisture maybe got inside. Is the watch coming from a warm and humid part of the world? Any moisture damage in the movement? You need better photos.

Overall an "honest" watch that has had a rough life, but in the hands of a skilled watchmaker, should clean up OK. Remember the collector's mantra though: "It is far better to overpay for an excellent original vintage omega than to underpay for one in below average or average condition." There are nicer examples of this watch out there.

Edited Jun 16, 2019
  3. jeppehh Jun 16, 2019

Good points Vitezi, thanks for chiming in!

It is stated in the add that the watch runs well and that the chronograph works. I don’t know how much to trust this, as seller I not a watch enthusiast. The setting towards R is concerning. Thanks for pointing that out - didn’t see that.

The watch has most likely spent most of its life in the nordics, but I can’t be sure. So if there is moisture damage it is unlikely to be from humid weather. With the lack of decent pictures, buying this would be a gamble and I’m not sure the price is good enough for the gamble - even if one has a soft spot for leaf hands and coffin markers ::love::

Regarding the mantra you mention I see that depending on the use of the watch. For a frequent wearer I would rather pay a bit less and avoid the small heart attacks every time my wrist touches a railing or a wall.

4. Dan S Jun 16, 2019

The condition is pretty rough all around, and I think it might be hard for the seller to get that price.

jeppehh likes this.
  5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 16, 2019

Looks like an honest watch and I think it has some potential after cleaning the debris off of the dial and crystal. Please let me know if you decide to pass!

Spacefruit and jeppehh like this.
  6. jeppehh Jun 17, 2019

The watch was for sale at a private auction site. This morning the watch got pulled and there is no way of contacting seller. Maybe it was pulled due to low interest.

I expect it will probably pop up somewhere else.

Thanks for all the feedback and thoughts. The journey continues.

7. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 10, 2019

hi

just an fyi ... that was a great deal.... for that watch .... heck i sold later 321 like 10 years ago for 2k....

sorry i was late to that party....

good hunting

8. jeppehh Jul 11, 2019

Thanks @Bill Sohne.

I was a bit disappointed when the watch got pulled from the auction site. It had a BIN option but I was hoping to get it for a better deal when the auction ended. I now regret that I didn't just buy it right away, but ce la vie.

9. Hamish02 Jul 15, 2019

Hi, just jumped in on this as I have been looking at 2907s - just looking atm until I have enough to own one though...

I literally watched a couple of vids today from the Omega Enthusiast - very helpful in explaining the difference between CK14360 and CK 2907 cases. I think the one the OP posted might be a CK 14360 due to the screw caseback and from first glance could even be the one in the video!

Anyway, here’s the link if it’s of any use to you

(Btw no connections here to OE but thought I might try to help whilst passing).

Cheers.