Forums Latest Members
  1. flw history nerd Nov 14, 2018

A student of mine wears this watch pretty regularly. He got it from his grandfather, who he says wore it for about thirty years or so. He would like to identify the model, approximate year, and so forth. He doesn't know much about the watch, and I couldn't help him to any great degree either. So I turn this over to you, my esteemed colleagues in the larger Omega world.

I attach two photos I took. The watch is on a JB Champion mesh bracelet.
    20181114_133548.jpg 20181114_133525.jpg

Seaborg likes this.
  2. Rochete Nov 14, 2018

It's a 70s, non-model Omega. Photos of the movement and inner caseback would be needed in order to tell more.

connieseamaster, Davidt and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Vanallard Nov 14, 2018

My guess is a 166.0163 with a cal. 1012.

flw likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 14, 2018

I second the motion.

Date wheel seems to be wrong texture, crown is wrong.
    Does anybody else think the dial has been re-done?

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 14, 2018

Lume looks kind of questionable. What do you see on the dial?

6. flw history nerd Nov 14, 2018

Although I didn't take a picture of it, the crown is a replacement - no logo on it.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 14, 2018

Lume pips are irregular, especially at 4, 5, and 6 (no lume at all.
    Minute ticks are blobby.
    T Swiss Made T is not centred correctly.

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 11.05.23 AM.png

Upper text looks blobby, even if very finely inked.

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 11.06.25 AM.png

8. Rochete Nov 14, 2018

Both "A" of "AUTOMATIC" don't quite look the same, do they?

Sin título.png

9. flw history nerd Nov 14, 2018

So ... what's the consensus? Is it perhaps a fake, or genuine but poorly restored?

10. TexOmega Nov 14, 2018

Open it up and take pix for those questions to be answered.

Syrte likes this.
  11. flw history nerd Nov 14, 2018

I'll have to ask him the next time I see him wearing it. I don't have the tools to open the back ... maybe a trip to the Boutique is in order.

TexOmega likes this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 14, 2018

This is an heirloom watch that a young man got from his grand father and which probably has great sentimental value. Who cares if it’s been redialed or if the lume is this and that. The young man did not ask for a valuation, and did not ask if it’s is a collectors piece.

Can people please refrain from raining on his parade with unwarranted comments he never asked for? He’s not asking anyone to nitpick on the damn dial. He just wants to know what that watch is.

Brook, drhombus24, gminnj and 9 others like this.
  13. Edward53 Nov 15, 2018

I think the dial's original. Remember that there were a number of dial makers and quality control wasn't always as OCD as modern collectors think. For instance, note the minute marker spacing around 11, 12 and 1 on this original dial.

Ludovic 015.jpg

cicindela likes this.
  14. Waxtactic Nov 15, 2018

I know I'm a n00b here, but I agree with @Syrte, if he's wearing this it holds some place in his heart. Perhaps his grandfather took care of him or let him wear it when he was a boy, or whatever, but we should be careful in what we say here b/c it could taint his memories. That being said, I think it leaves @flw with a few options:

1) Buy a caseback opener on Amazon and carefully take a look inside
    2) If you're afraid of delivering bad news, point him to a place that can give it a proper service under the guise of "hey, if you really want to take care of that, go to Mr. XYZ and have it serviced so it will last longer. While you're there ask him to write down the serial and model number" . He can then bring that back to us for further comment

Just my $.02.

Edited Nov 15, 2018
    Millenary Watches likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 15, 2018

I didn't see the OP specifically state that the owner was not interested in a valuation, and if the "and so forth" includes information needed for an evaluation to get the watch insured (as is common with treasured family heirlooms), then the information being discussed is completely relevant. In either case, the OP doesn't have to pass on information that the owner might not wish to have. What I can say is that if I was the person wanting to know about the watch, more information is better...

16. Rochete Nov 15, 2018

Perhaps OP, who is the youg man's friend and is asking here on his behalf, is best suited to filter whatever information he gets here and decide what to pass onto his friend?

flw likes this.
  17. flw history nerd Nov 15, 2018

Yes, I plan to do that.

Thanks to all of you for your insight so far. Keep it coming!

Waxtactic likes this.
  18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 15, 2018

My reaction may have been a bit swift and for that I apologize to the good people who I’m sure were well meaning, but I would not assume the young man in question cannot on his own motion go and look up what’s been said about his watch, unfiltered.
    Maybe I jumped to conclusions about the initial question but I think in cases like this it’s good to be mindful about spontaneous exercises of dial criticism.

Sweli likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 15, 2018

I'm not sure why this is striking a nerve with you, but again if it were me, I would want to know everything I can find out about the watch - good or bad. The watches I've inherited are no where near as nice as this Omega, but that that doesn't bother me at all and I still treasure them because of who they came from. If they had repainted dials or whatever, it wouldn't affect how I feel about the watches and the person who I inherited them from. The important part is who owned it and it's history with the family for sentimental purposes, and it seems somehow shallow to think that knowing the dial was reprinted is suddenly going to cause the owner to think poorly of the watch or not treasure the family connection as much all of a sudden...

Jimos likes this.