Forums Latest Members

Ask for opinions on this old cal.268 Omega (and its CROWN)

1. Umapius Feb 12, 2017

Hello, I love watches but I'm new to this forum and the vintage world.
    I'm gonna get my first vintage Omega, this 9k gold Dennison cal. 268 circa 1960. With the kind advice from a nice guy on WUS, I've learnt a bit to check already the serial number of the movement and cases... I'm still waiting for the watch to be shipped, then I found this forum.

So I would love to know your opinions:
    1. Overall thoughts on the watch? (Maybe also about its interestingness, etc)
    2. And specifically about the crown:
    From the pics of it, the crown is unsigned and (I dont know if it's the optical effect of camera lens) looks a bit larger than it should be.
    - What do you guys say about this crown?
    - If it's not original, does it still look fine (i mean, not out of place on the watch?
    - And is it possible to look for "original" replacement part? And if yes, which one (maybe with a name or code?) should I search for?
    Thank you.
    File_001.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg

Edited Feb 12, 2017
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 12, 2017

Wrong, it's taller then the case cut out and extended tube length to fit
    Meh, seems to tall
    Yes, that's a very good question

Umapius likes this.
  3. Umapius Feb 12, 2017

Thank you.
    I found this supplier of Omega crowns, and frankly I really dont know which one should be for my watch.
    http://www.ofrei.com/page_147.html
    The numbers of the Dennison cases are different from Omega ones, I suppose.
    Can somebody help me with this?

4. DON Feb 12, 2017

Can measure the width of the indent in the case (where the crown would sit)

Mention the caliber and diameter of the case tube

Problem is. Most the gold crowns today are plated, so not going to be a perfect match to the color of your case

Also. Hard to buy when you don't have proper numbers to work with. Main one being a case reference number

Search for a local watchmaker if possible. They might have some old vintage unsigned crowns that might work better

DON

Umapius and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Umapius Feb 12, 2017

Thank you, Don. The watch has yet to arrive. I'll wait until hand it on my wrist, and see what I think of it.
    If I ever need to change the crown, I'll search for a local watchmaker as you advice.

6. osnola ibax Jan 2, 2020

Hi there, do you still have the watch? Out of curiosity, how much did you pay. I also own a Dennison cased 268 and I love it