Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 9, 2013

I'll make an effort to take some better pictures later, probably get Trev to help me out with some quality photos and do some sort of decent review but in the mean time, I managed to pick up an as-new condition Wolf Designs Viceroy 2.7 8 watch winder in exchange for some engineering services, so here are some pics of my new toy.

The build quality is excellent, and it snaps shut with exceptional precision, the computer controlled motors let you really specify exactly what you want in terms of TPD, direction, and operating hours which is great too!

Now I just need more watches to fill the slots >.>

VICEROY-CUFF-CLOSE-480x480.png viceroy_4_key-480x480.jpg viceroy_8_open-480x480.jpg viceroy_4_zoom-480x480.jpg IMG_3934.JPG IMG_3931.JPG IMG_3926.JPG IMG_3923.JPG IMG_3921.JPG IMG_3916.jpg IMG_3915.JPG

semper_shells likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Mar 9, 2013

Sweet!

... but what's that blue one on the bottom row? Is that a Philippe watch of some sort?

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 9, 2013

Close! Its a Rip Curl ATS Tide display quartz, its purely there for display purposes.

4. Ludi Mar 9, 2013

Very nice ... and handy.....come on now, you have remaining gaps to fill ;)

5. ulackfocus Mar 9, 2013

I gotta check the WIS codebook, but I'm pretty sure there are fines and penalties involved for putting a quartz watch on a winder. :eek:

semper_shells likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 9, 2013

I put quartz and even manual wind watches on my winder all the time. Of course not to keep them wound, and not on a consumer winder, but on this:

[​IMG]

This is the final test winder, and it has several functions. One to check timing with the watch on the move - 1 rpm, but rotating in 2 axes at once. So I use it for this purpose for both automatics and manual wind watches - part of the 10 days minimum of testing every watch gets after service. For automatics, it's also used to check the function of the automatic winding system. For quartz, one of the common issues is to check for proper division (spacing of the hands) and to make sure hands don't catch each other with the watch running in various positions. Quartz are often very tight with regards to hand division with not a lot of room between hands.

Sorry to get off topic here.....

Hope that Wolf is a good one for you. I haven't heard much about them for a couple of years, but in the past they have not had a great reputation for longevity. Hopefully they have stepped up their quality.

Cheers, Al

cvrle1 likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Mar 9, 2013

For a watchmaker I can see the sense using that.

That's a joke, right? We're famous for going rogue and hijacking threads. Welcome to the Club!

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 9, 2013

Mmm, I hope you are going to fill those vacancies forthwith.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 9, 2013

For a winder that runs around $3k in Australia it better not break lol

10. Mothra Mar 9, 2013

:whistling: I bought a wolf winder last year and was frustrated it wasn't keeping my watches wound. I'm embarrassed to admit, having seen these pictures, i was putting them in the winder wrong, and wrapping the round the holder as if it was a wrist.... Whups.

11. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 9, 2013

$3k!!! A bundle of mailing envelopes and an address list ( mine on it ) and you could have saved a fortune, sure many off us would have worn them 24/7 for you :D

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 9, 2013

I have one of Wolf's small cheap ones. Works great. Got it free from Topper Jewelers a few years ago as a gift because they were late with a watch delivery. Nice folks.

qwq.jpg

13. M.C.B1974 Mar 30, 2017

Hi,

It has been a few years since your posting, I was wondering if you can tell me how well your winder has been working?
    I am thinking of purchasing a quad wolf winder myself.
    I have read great reviews on them but would greatly appreciate you sharing your experience with owning one.
    Thanks and best regards

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2017

Mine's been for sale for ages because I don't use it as nearly all my regular watches are manual wind or bumper automatics that don't work on winders anyway.

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 30, 2017

16. M.C.B1974 Mar 30, 2017

Thank you for the fast reply, I greatly appreciate it.
    I have a chance at purchasing a wolf quad roughly 2 years old for $400 Canadian (300 USD) locally. I do like to keep most watches in original boxes but I do have a few I would like to grab and wear.
    I myself really like bumper movements as they are the first Omega automatics, Manual wind watches is were it all began and you have a personal relationship with them as you give them life and see them begin to tick.
    Best regards