Forums Latest Members
  1. Riviera Paradise Dec 5, 2017

Well done Aussies, 2 - 0 against the Poms!

Thought Root might make a stand today for a thrilling finish to the second test...but England folded (again).

Steve Smith and the Australian fast bowlers are looking very impressive:thumbsup:

I do think the teams are quite evenly matched and the first two test scorelines are more a reflection of the attitude and total commitment the Aussies have bought to winning series...England just don't seem to have the self-belief that they can win a Test down under and seem to be lacking fast bowling pace. Not sure Ben Stokes would have made a huge amount of difference...but from a psychological perspective his absence certainly seem to have put the England team on the back foot. England might still have some chance if their bowlers can reproduce the glimmer of form they showed in the 2nd innings yesterday.

Looking forward to comments on the series here on the OF.

Dre likes this.
  2. lillatroll Dec 6, 2017

Let's just forget it's happening and all move on shall we?

3. SeanO Dec 6, 2017

he's a dud...

the Poms lack a significant strike weapon/combination. Broad has been very ordinary with the ball for all of the movement he was extracting in the afternoon.

they also lack a test class spinner and should have taken the opportunity to bring some of the kids out for a whirl.

but mostly you can't keep relying on the 3-4-5 batting order to make runs which means they really have to take a look at Cook.

the WACA pitch isn't what it was (and hasn't been for 10 years) but without someone like Finn who can actually bowl fast they're going to struggle to take wickets.

4. Edwinowl Dec 9, 2017

You are having a laugh if you think stokes wouldn't have made a difference???
    He is the catalyst for countless fight backs both bat, ball and field and the Aussies know it. He was a fool doing what he did and with it went the ashes on that fateful Bristol night. England don't have the depth of batting to challenge now. Prob end up a whitewash.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 9, 2017

Your joking aren't you. He punches like a girl and the cctv footage proves it.
    What did he get in NZ the other day ?? 2 runs and no wickets playing New Zealand county cricket ::facepalm2::

6. Edwinowl Dec 9, 2017

Not too sure you've been watching much cricket over the last 2 years really now have you ?? I mean of course England wouldn't miss the worlds top all rounder would they?? Oh and try telling that to the soldier he put on his arse.
    2 runs and no wickets that's his career over surely.
    Clown.

7. Riviera Paradise Dec 9, 2017

I suggest perhaps looking again at the wording of my post, dear chap. I stated that Ben Stokes would not make a huge difference. IMO the main problem with the England team down under (beyond the traditionally weak opening batsmen) has been the weakness of the bowling attack, which seems to be lacking pace. Ben Stokes is a medium fast bowler and I am not sure with the wickets / pitches we have seen so far whether he would have been able to strike through the Aussie batting order. With the bat I do agree he would have added more depth...and his presence within the team adds a significant motivation boost...which is something I did mention as well BTW...but then again you probably were speed reading;)

8. Edwinowl Dec 9, 2017

And I also suggest you look at mine.
    I don't think you chaps have been watching much cricket over the last 2 years
    He is a game changer with bat and ball.
    Probably as good as Anderson at swinging the ball both ways.
    Anderson got 5 wickets.
    I argue based on facts and the fact is he is the best all rounder in world cricket at the moment. Unless you can name me anyone better ??

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 9, 2017

Best all rounder - 3rd actually.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/rankings/content/page/211270.html

You Are watching the same footage of the same drunk dumbass fighting in the street at silly o'clock in the morning.....?

And don't get me started on the head butt ( most of Australia is still laughing at that )

Edited Dec 9, 2017
  10. Riviera Paradise Dec 9, 2017

Pretty tragic to pin all your hopes on one player for an Ashes series. Ben Stokes is not Ian Botham (and yes I did watch the 1981 Ashes where Bob Willis of course played a critical role). Nevertheless if you are right, and Ben Stokes is such a critical / fundamental player, well all I can say is that England are are an incredibly vulnerable team. I think you are still missing my point...England need to sort out their chronic weakness with their top order batsmen and need more depth/range in their bowling if they are to win test series on any sort of pitch.

STANDY likes this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 9, 2017

12. Edwinowl Dec 9, 2017

Neither of your arguments stack up, at no point did I say eng are a one man team
    What is happening in NZ has no relevance to test cricket at all
    But hey knock yourselves out guys.
    Once again your lack of knowledge astounds me. The 2 above him play sub continent cricket so that's like comparing Apples and oranges.
    Had my say.
    Have a good day

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 9, 2017

So he's the worlds best but two guys are better.
    But that doesn't count because they play cricket against everyone else in the world like England. ::facepalm2::

And not scoring runs in park cricket doesn't have a bearing in test cricket.
    Tell that to the up and coming kids of the world :thumbsdown:

And now your throwing your toys out of the Ben Stokes fanboy sandpit.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  14. tyrantlizardrex Dec 9, 2017

Important question:

Is this the drinking sport with the funny balls and the bad ale, or the drinking sport with the white trousers and pimms ? ;)

Edited Dec 9, 2017
    Riviera Paradise and Paedipod like this.
  15. TMas Dec 9, 2017

I don’t understand a word any of you guys said.

16. ConElPueblo Dec 9, 2017

I once had a go at watching a match and after nearly two hours play, I couldn't tell who had won. Listening to the commentators didn't help, neither did watching the players after the match, they just left the field...

17. Edward53 Dec 9, 2017

I'm British and I don't know how cricket works either. I think it's probably a sort of field sports "Mornington Crescent".

18. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 10, 2017

Only two hours and it was over, I guess you started watching near the end.
    The ashes that started the thread, are 5 matches, each match up to 5 days long and marvellously can end in a draw! Though the draw is highly unlikely this time round.
    Best of luck to the Aussies in Perth, though seeing as England have only ever won at the WACA twice, I don’t think you’ll need it.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 10, 2017

This depends on which side of the ground you sit on - at Headingly anyway.
    Only difference is that on one side you have to fetch your own beer whereas someone serves you at your seat on the other side.
    The first is a raucous mash up with your mates.
    The second is a terribly gentile day out.
    Each very different experiences but both equally good fun.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 10, 2017

I know your speaking English, but this makes zero sense.