Forums Latest Members

Ashamed of the watch, ashamed of the coffee

1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 11, 2015

So, this thread is, in part, directed at @Mad Dog

I am in Santiago for a holiday for 10 weeks, where I am hoping to learn some Spanish. I was strongly urged by MrsCanberra (and her family, who are Chilean), not to wear any of my good watches, and told me to 'just go out and get a $30 one' - I even got in trouble for looking at a $200 seiko! So I went on the net, and duly bought a Quartz watch for $29.95, inc postage!

Secondly, for some strange reason, there isn't much of a coffee culture in Chile (infra-continental rivalry? Don't want to endorse a product from Brazil?) and in most places, coffee means instant, often sweetened with sweetened condensed milk::puke::::puke::::puke::. (Keep in mind I usually drink espresso or macchiato).

So in my hunt for a decent coffee, I even turned to Dunkin Donut, resulting in these photos.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I'm sorry for dirtying this esteemed forum with this piece of plastic that tells time.:(

Oh, the coffee was s::censored::t also.

Dsloan, Sidnos, EdtheAussie and 10 others like this.
  2. ulackfocus Sep 11, 2015

I'm blowing the whistle on Daniel and placing him in the Penalty Box with a 10 minute major for unwatchmanlike conduct.

3. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 11, 2015

@CanberraOmega...

Dibs on the Dunkin'. :thumbsup:

Dibs on your job. :thumbsup:

Any job that allows 10 weeks of holiday (if holiday = vacation) I want. :thumbsup:

LATE ENTRY: I believe the date is incorrect on the Q&Q watch...it should read FRI 11.

Edited Sep 11, 2015
    Giff2577 and Bienne2998 like this.
  4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 11, 2015

Not sure if @ulackfocus will allow me to answer,or if i have to wait for my penalty to be lifted!

In Australia we have a concept called 'long service leave'. Work for one employer for 10 years, and you get 3 months leave ON FULL PAY.

5. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 11, 2015

JohnSteed and ulackfocus like this.
  6. ulackfocus Sep 11, 2015

Yeah, really. I've been with the same company for 6.5 years. You don't get higher than me unless you buy in to become a part owner. Yet I still only get 2 weeks paid vacation. The one vacation related privilege is that I can take 9 or 10 days in a row (using a personal day and the usual 2 days per week off combined with 1 week's worth of vacation time) where the regular staff can only take a max of 7 straight days off.

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 12, 2015

Where is the @Mad Dog pose?

Nearly all Australian,s get at least a month (4weeks) off a year and 3months long service after 10 years.
    Some jobs. Then there is the work more than 10 Sunday's a year a extra week off. Work remote and another extra week off. This is all on top of 20+ days paid sick leave a year....2 days paid moving house days if needed.

In my current job I can even work 4 years and get paid 80% pay for 5 years, having the whole 5th year off paid at 80%. :whistling:

8. Mothra Sep 12, 2015

opened this thread thinking 'i'll give Daniel a like, how bad can it be?'. Cant. Sorry....

STANDY and CanberraOmega like this.
  9. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 12, 2015

@CanberraOmega

Hard to feel sorry for someone on a 10-week holiday. :whipped:

Lack of good coffee is a bummer, but it isn't exactly the 9th circle of hell either.

The 9th circle is where they make you wear quartz watches. :eek:

10. Superdoc Sep 12, 2015

I would rather wear that watch than no watch at all.
    Just remember, that which you wear with disdain, others would wear with pride.
    The man wears the watch, not the other way around.

I know you're just joking about the whole thing, but I abhor watch snobbery in all forms...
    I'm sure you can rock that Quartz!

Edited Sep 12, 2015
    ICONO, Trev, JohnSteed and 6 others like this.
  11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 12, 2015

Which one? With Hooters girls????

12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 12, 2015

I got 5 likes from that first post already!

Mothra likes this.
  13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 12, 2015

At least i paid less for my quartz than you paid for yours :whistling:

14. Hijak Sep 12, 2015

This has to be a contender for quote of the year!:thumbsup:

STANDY and JohnSteed like this.
  15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 12, 2015

The watch gods work in weird ways, guess what just came across my path, BNIB
    image.jpg

First time I've tried it on.....
    Price was outrageous though.

16. happytapy Sep 22, 2015

No proper coffee hell, that is hell! Coffee culture is alive and very well in Melbourne and could not imagine a world without it.

Dunkin Donuts? Well, if that's all the coffee you could get, then you're forgiven. Not sure what I would do if I were in your position. :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

Nothing wrong with the Q+Q by the way. My Father in Law has a Q+Q digital that he bought new for a similar price at a Bendigo Feel Market one day. No chance of seeing the seller ever again, but after about 12 years the darn thing still works and keep pretty accurate time. I admire these watches for what they are. Honest, down to earth, bulletproof and cheap as chips.

Enjoy your long service leave.

17. Superdoc Sep 22, 2015

Wow... Last time I went to a feel market, I sure as hell didn't buy a watch....;)

happytapy likes this.
  18. happytapy Sep 22, 2015

Don't you have Feel Markets your way that sell watches?

Flee Market. Of Course.:oops::oops:

19. JohnSteed Sep 22, 2015

And while on vacation!!!! If you're blessed by the watch gods.....

20. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 22, 2015

Must have been dislodged somehow by the earthquake :)