Forums Latest Members

As expected, Apple, Inc. is decimating the sub 1 grand market

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 10, 2015

Edited Aug 10, 2015
    Just Livin, Spacefruit and ELV web like this.
  2. alam Sep 7, 2016

Well, the market strategists at Apple are keeping faith on the future of their watch. As many of you may have already seen in today's headline news, Apple officially announced their new line up of iPhones and Apple watches...here are the Apple watch cliff notes:

"Apple also unveiled its new Apple Watch Series 2, which is swim-proof and features built-in GPS technology. It will be available made out of aluminum, stainless steel, and now a new material: ceramic. In partnership with Nike, Apple also launched Apple Watch Nike+, which is specially designed for runners. Apple Watch Series 2 and Apple Watch Nike+ will be priced at $369. Apple Watch Series 2 will be available Sept. 16, with Apple Watch Nike+ available in mid-October"

I'm sure doomsters will kumbaya and predict a complete failure as they claimed with the initial version --- yes, yes, I know we really don't know how many were sold or how profitable the watch was for the company but, if Apple has decided to launch a second generation of a product, perhaps is an indication of expected success/profit based on previous performance?? Only Apple knows....

3. ulackfocus Sep 7, 2016

So now anyone with your phone number can locate you, land OR sea.

gemini4, Frunkinator and Tony C. like this.
  4. alam Sep 7, 2016

Not really a **new feature** here :p anyone with your phone number and the right access/tools have been able to find your location for years! Ask Mr. Snowden! :rolleyes:

Jwit likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Sep 7, 2016

Yes, I'm aware of that - had to change my settings recently when I discovered 2 supervisors at work that I was "sharing my location" with despite the fact that I never okayed this. I was just making light of the waterproof upgrade. ;)

alam likes this.
  6. alam Sep 7, 2016

Not a good thing when you call in sick and at home, but you are wine tasting on the other side of town! :D

7. kurtj29 Sep 7, 2016

My observation: I used to never see under 30's (men) wearing watches, now it seems like - just during this summer, I notice a lot of them wearing watches and they are all wearing the Apple Watch. I live in Seattle - which is pretty hi-tech. It seems like it is becoming the new "gotta have" fashion accessory for all the "non-comformist" hipsters here.

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 7, 2016

Most of the guys in their 20s at my office wear 'real' watches, and a couple of the guys have several watches each. I'd say more have watches then the number of those who do not. Also, there is not an Apple watch in sight -- although we are only taking about a group of ~10 people..

9. kurtj29 Sep 7, 2016

There is this... image.jpeg

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 7, 2016

I'm surprised Omega is so high on the list. Not too surprised about Fossil.

Tom

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 7, 2016

No other "smart watches" even in sight, huh?

What unit of measure does the slide represent? Number of watches sold? Revenue?

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 7, 2016

More PP and Cartier than Casios sold?

Where do they get those figures, out of their a#*e.

Casio probably sells millions of F91W alone

13. ulackfocus Sep 7, 2016

Yes, but how many Casios does it take to generate the volume of $$$ that 1 single Patek brings in? The list is probably based on gross intake rather than units sold.

14. Severin Sep 7, 2016

I paid ab six dollars for my F91W. Based on a quick scan of the CASIO 2016 annual report, their plans for growth revolve around somewhat more advanced and presumably expensive timepieces. Frustratingly, the report does not identify revenues or profits from watch sales alone. Rather, they are lumped into a broader "consumer goods" category which includes watches, calculators, cameras, musical instruments and others.
    These together represent about 85 percent of the CASIO Computer Company's "Net Sales" of about 350 Billion ¥
    http://world.casio.com/ir/library/annual/2016/

oddboy likes this.
  15. ulackfocus Sep 7, 2016

16. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 7, 2016

its not units but sales. It takes 2000 Casios sold to equal 1 Patek

17. Severin Sep 7, 2016

Done. Besides, the F91W didn't have a dual time feature. As a remedy,I upgraded to the 14 dollar CASIO calculator watch, which does have such a feature. I've worn it in peace in some rather "dynamic" locales around world. Muggers (on the streets of Adis Ababa, for instance) have paid it no mind. The cheap CASIOS have been with me in some of my darkest hours, my vintage UGs have been there during some of the brightest.

BlueBoy and Jwit like this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 7, 2016

Ok that now makes sense.

19. kurtj29 Sep 7, 2016

I believe Revenue.

20. Canuck Sep 7, 2016

Having been involved in the watch and jewellery industry since before LED and LCD quartz watches, I remember the anxiety at their introduction, that analog mechanical watches were on the way out! The first LCD watch I saw was in 1969. 47 years ago! Crude! Oh yeah! Expensive? $1,300.00! Believe it! Certainly in the under $100.00 range, now the LCD is king. At one time, you could buy a digital watch for as little as $25.00 to $30.00, or you could pay thousands for an LCD that didn't look any different! I think they failed in many segments of the market because they lacked individuality. When the Smart watch eventually gets down to $100.00 or so, the demographic that will buy it will not be the demographic that will buy the $1,000.00 (and up) watch. I feel certain that market is assured! How did the Swiss regain market share again after losing it to Japan? They stopped trying to fight them, and found a niche that the Japanese weren't serving, and went after the market in those areas. History often repeats itself!

chows99 likes this.